What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why will London be a success in Super League

Pommy

Coach
It could be a catch 22 situation. They averaged around 900 this season which may not be enough to allow them to get a deal with a larger stadium. But they will struggle to get higher attendances playing where they are.

Without a good number of fans bringing in extra revenue for the football clubs on site bars etc why would they want the hassle of having a rugby club at their ground, extra wear on the pitch etc.
Remember lower leagues host 22 home games plus cup matches all though the winter and quite often lay a full new pitch in the summer. Without a decent financial incentive what’s in it for them?

Walter sobchak

First Grade
It could be a catch 22 situation. They averaged around 900 this season which may not be enough to allow them to get a deal with a larger stadium. But they will struggle to get higher attendances playing where they are.

Without a good number of fans bringing in extra revenue for the football clubs on site bars etc why would they want the hassle of having a rugby club at their ground, extra wear on the pitch etc.
Remember lower leagues host 22 home games plus cup matches all though the winter and quite often lay a full new pitch in the summer. Without a decent financial incentive what’s in it for them?
Contrary to popular belief not every football club is awash with money and some are debt to the tune of millions especially teams outside of the premier league and championship. In fact 2 of the teams I named both Leyton orient and Barnet play outside of the top flight. There’s also teams like Bromley, Sutton Utd and Dagenham&redbridge who also play outside the top flight in the 5th tier of English football.

For my money my ideal choice for the broncos would be Leyton orients Brisbane road ground which has a capacity of just under 10,000. Plus Leyton orient is in east London.

Pommy

Coach
Contrary to popular belief not every football club is awash with money and some are debt to the tune of millions especially teams outside of the premier league and championship. In fact 2 of the teams I named both Leyton orient and Barnet play outside of the top flight. There’s also teams like Bromley, Sutton Utd and Dagenham&redbridge who also play outside the top flight in the 5th tier of English football.

For my money my ideal choice for the broncos would be Leyton orients Brisbane road ground which has a capacity of just under 10,000. Plus Leyton orient is in east London.

But is the money Broncos would cough up going to be worthwhile compensation for the clubs?
I have no idea it’s just a thought, really there’s no way to know but my guess is if it was they would have done it already.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
But is the money Broncos would cough up going to be worthwhile compensation for the clubs?
I have no idea it’s just a thought, really there’s no way to know but my guess is if it was they would have done it already.
Not sure but it’s all it’s and but’s at this stage but surely the broncos being a super league club rather than a championship club has more pulling power and is also more appealing to any potential investors.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
It's easy to assume they'll drop right back down, it's easy to assume it'll be same old, easy to say they'll make no difference..

Lets be positive though - what can the Broncos do, what do they need to do to be a success this time round?

1. Take lessons from the Wolfpack. Promote promote promote. Maybe they don't have pockets as deep, but there's still a lot that can be done.
Make the game day experience unique, have some buzz about it, engage new young fans. Ignore the old heartlanders and do your own thing.

2. Take lessons from the Storm.
These guys are the benchmark of RL expansion and have been for 20 years. Absolutely professional on and off the field. Hell, see if they can convince Cam Smith to come over for a couple of years.

The Broncos could do a lot worse than to try and get Smith and Slater to come for a farewell season in England. I actually was thinking that Toronto should have done this if they got up for next year.

Perth Red

Post Whore
They're going to be the whipping boys sadly. That's the problem with P&R it doesn't give teams time to build a decent squad. Unless a Salford or Wakey go financially tits up during the season its hard to see anything but a lot of L's in the Broncos column.

adamkungl

Immortal
They're going to be the whipping boys sadly. That's the problem with P&R it doesn't give teams time to build a decent squad. Unless a Salford or Wakey go financially tits up during the season its hard to see anything but a lot of L's in the Broncos column.

Only gotta finish 11th haha
They showed in the last 2 months they can hack it with the bottom SL teams.

jim_57

Staff member

But P&R is the best, it means all teams deserve to be there because they scrapped to together a decent bunch of players and got lucky with injuries regardless of their off field setup. Never mind that you could lose a Wigan, Catalans or Leeds. Batley, Hunslet & Fev fans who mostly hate "Super Greed" would apparently stop watching if their clubs didn't have a chance to knock more deserving clubs out of "Super Greed".

jim_57

Staff member
I thought SL had a min stadium criteria including a capacity of 10k?

Read a statement on another forum saying London will install temp seating to meet Super League criteria of 2000 seats.

It's a tricky one for them, move and (presumably) pay more rent, or stick with a ground that is in reality probably not suited to Super League.

What's the story with the Union club they share with? Amatuer, semi-pro? Any chance of some money being pumped in to the ground.

roughyed8

Juniors
Read a statement on another forum saying London will install temp seating to meet Super League criteria of 2000 seats.

It's a tricky one for them, move and (presumably) pay more rent, or stick with a ground that is in reality probably not suited to Super League.

What's the story with the Union club they share with? Amatuer, semi-pro? Any chance of some money being pumped in to the ground.

http://www.ealingtrailfinders.com/
They play in the Greene King Championship which is the second tier of English RU
In front of mostly sub 1000 crowds sponsored by and named after a travel agency.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
It would have been better for Super League if a deadweight club like KR went down for London and Toronto.
More like Salford. At least rovers have a hardcore support fan base of around 6,000-7,000 people that obviously swells when playing big matches or if the robins are playing well. Unlike Salford that have 1 man and his dog.

adamkungl

Immortal
I think the appeal of a successful club in the capital is underappreciated compared to the new shiny Toronto.

Obviously the 'successful' part is the key here, and will take some work. But if I had a choice between London and Toronto and all other things (finances, stadium, etc) were even, I'd pick London easy.

I'm keen to see what they can offer. The goal for next year is simple - don't come last, and be in a position to improve again the next year.

The small town teams are under pressure. Toronto have shown the way for city teams. They can outspend them and get promoted up

Pommy

Coach
I think the appeal of a successful club in the capital is underappreciated compared to the new shiny Toronto.

Obviously the 'successful' part is the key here, and will take some work. But if I had a choice between London and Toronto and all other things (finances, stadium, etc) were even, I'd pick London easy.

I'm keen to see what they can offer. The goal for next year is simple - don't come last, and be in a position to improve again the next year.

The small town teams are under pressure. Toronto have shown the way for city teams. They can outspend them and get promoted up

The problem is they’re not new and people know what they offer. The fact they are intending to stay at that ground in the top flight demonstrates they are not interested in trying to be as professional as Toronto have been.
Give me a London with a Perez type in charge and I would totally agree with you, at the moment I just don’t see it.