What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Widdop & Benji

matPORTS

Juniors
I can't hide my frustration anymore... Discuss.

Since our last bye these guys have been poor at best. We've needed these two to take the reigns and lead the team around the paddock but it hasn't happened. Maybe I've been watching the wrong games? But some poor decisions from both these guys have cost us big time in recent weeks, and it was on show again tonight. What the hell was doing with the short drop out from Benji tonight?

We need our big guns to step up when the game is tight but it just isn't happening at the moment. Please explain Mary!

It will be an absolute tragedy if this team doesn't snap out of this and go on to make the finals. We are better than the last six weeks. Common SAINTS!!! :crazy:

RedVEddie

Juniors
We won't make the top 8, and Marshall and Widdop will not be dropped because Mary doesn't have the balls to do it and play anyone else. Don't spend anymore time dreaming we will make it, even with a basically full strength team we were barely in the contest tonight, none of the players on the field stood up and made the right plays at critical moments. (e.g. Inglis with ball on own line, gypsy misses the tackle)

saints4me

Juniors
We need some big boppers up front. It's that simple for mine.
Until we get some we're not going to compete with Souffs, Bullcheats & Rorters etc.
They just seem to be able to take it to another level when needed. I don't know what tonight's match stats are but our blokes tried.
Cue the whingers ....................NOW.

True_Believer

Juniors
We need some big boppers up front. It's that simple for mine.
Until we get some we're not going to compete with Souffs, Bullcheats & Rorters etc.
They just seem to be able to take it to another level when needed. I don't know what tonight's match stats are but our blokes tried.
Cue the whingers ....................NOW.

Yes the team tried (Ah Mau and Cooper were standouts). But our attack is non-existent. That's where we fall down. We just don't have the set plays or the creativity to be able to threaten teams.

So big boys up front will help, but without some attack to back up the go forward, I don't think next year will improve all that much.

hardbaby

Coach
Benji is Benji. Rocks and diamonds. An off the cuff player trying to play more structured as he has got older and slower. When we signed him we knew what we would get. I'm not impressed but neither am I surprised. My concern is actually Widdop. On fire at the start of last year and played utter rubbish at the end. History is repeating itself this year. For those that play SuperCoach, Widdop just scored zero pre-updates. That's right he did precisely nothing. I'm starting to doubt his ability minus the storm stars.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
Inglis not getting tackled in goal. Kicking in the air when the ball should be dribbled along the ground and vice versa. There is probably a montage of Marshall/widdop kicks that have found the oppositions legs this season. Its uncanny. We really miss a guy who can simply kick us around the park.

I think we just poorly execute those crucial moments in a game, those 1 percenters.

I still think they'll come good and sneak into the 8, but why does it have to be so hard? Those losses against eels/cowgirls, unforgivable!!!

True_Believer

Juniors
Not the fault of the halves.

...Discuss.

I don't think it is solely the fault of the halves, but they contribute. I mean, the short kick offs and the short drop out really didn't have that much of an affect on the game. If they come off they are brilliant plays, if they don't then they are the worst play ever. That's the sort of players Benji and Gareth are - they take those risks and when they come off they are brilliant. You can't blame them for trying something different to get us in a good attacking position.

The problem is, the set plays, vision and player positioning just isn't good enough. Sure, a major role of the halves is to organise that and see the opportunity. But I think the problem is seated in the plays they are training for and how they are executing them. It might not be Mary, but it is surely a deficiency somewhere in the coaching team.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
I don't think it is solely the fault of the halves, but they contribute. I mean, the short kick offs and the short drop out really didn't have that much of an affect on the game. If they come off they are brilliant plays, if they don't then they are the worst play ever. That's the sort of players Benji and Gareth are - they take those risks and when they come off they are brilliant. You can't blame them for trying something different to get us in a good attacking position.

The problem is, the set plays, vision and player positioning just isn't good enough. Sure, a major role of the halves is to organise that and see the opportunity. But I think the problem is seated in the plays they are training for and how they are executing them. It might not be Mary, but it is surely a deficiency somewhere in the coaching team.

I take some of your points but on tonights effort with 23 mins to go taking a short drop out especially with the size of the Souths pack was suicidal
...a longer drop out with the wet conditions was a much better option, and someone with Marshalls experience should have known this....so im not sure I agree with it didn't have much affect on the game..it came at a crucial time in the match and wasn't needed

Last edited:

hardbaby

Coach
I take some of your points but on tonights effort with 23 mins to go taking a short drop out especially with the size of the Souths pack was suicidal
...a longer drop out with the wet conditions was a much better option, and someone with Marshalls experience should have known this....

Agreed. That was poor judgement. Very, very poor judgement.

If the season is gone would you throw Crook in if fit.

Is it worth giving him a go and see if he's worth keeping as he is off contract.

The guy is a 7 who has a good passing and kicking game and couldn't be any worse a defender then Marshall.

True_Believer

Juniors
...a longer drop out with the wet conditions was a much better option, and someone with Marshalls experience should have known this....

I don't really agree. The position they were in around the 15-20 is generally where, or close to, the play is going to be after 2 tackles anyway. As you say, with the Souths pack the size they are, they are going to make easy ground. I don't think the short kick was the contributing factor there. I think the Rabbits just had a good set move up their sleeve and our defence was caught short.

hardbaby

Coach
If the season is gone would you throw Crook in if fit.

Is it worth giving him a go and see if he's worth keeping as he is off contract.

The guy is a 7 who has a good passing and kicking game and couldn't be any worse a defender then Marshall.

Nah. Right or wrong we have our starting halves for this year and next. But would I let one or both go for 2017? Absolutely.

True_Believer

Juniors
Nah. Right or wrong we have our starting halves for this year and next. But would I let one or both go for 2017? Absolutely.

Agree, we have the halves for next year, but someone needs to work with them.

After that, who knows. Really depends on what other options we have. Who knows, with Masoe and Packer leading the way next year, they may come into their own with a bit of time.

Twenty10

Juniors
I think it's 100% our halves that are the issue. They play like they hate each other (and I think they do), they play dumb, they play arrogant... Widdop is in career worst form.. And Marshall is just doing whatever the f**k he wants. Their game management is absolutely rubbish. Kicking early, kicking over dead ball line, short drop outs.. I mean seriously. It's laughable. Souths halves embarrassed them tonight. There's obviously issues between Marshall, Widdop, rein and Dugan. All rubbish (as a spine). Dugan good individually