What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Widdop continues to own the big moments

getsmarty

Immortal
Widdop continues to own the big moments

By MITCH JENNINGS
March 4, 2016, 9:46 a.m.
https://www.facebook.com/sharer/sha...om.au/story/3768837/new-captain-on-a-mission/http://twitter.com/share?url=http:/...xt=New captain on a mission&via=illawarramerc

Roundly written off as finals pretenders prior to the match after limping into the play-offs in eighth spot the Dragons went within a whisker of upsetting the Bulldogs in week one of their first finals series in four seasons.
With five minutes to play and the scores locked at six apiece Widdop scampered back to clean up a loose ball only to collect the knees of twin behemoths Frank Pritchard and Sam Kasiano in a collision that landed Pritchard on report.
It might have been enough to end a lesser player’s night but – with an injured thigh already heavily strapped – Widdop dragged himself from the turf to land the long range go-ahead goal. He backed it up minutes later with a clutch after the siren goal to send the match into golden point, showing all the composure and poise that prompted McGregor to put the C in front of his name for the 2016 season.
History also shows it was Widdop who put an attempted 40-20 into touch on the full in the 84th minute opening the door for Bulldogs counterpart Josh Reynolds to slot the match-winning field goal to sink their season. Given his heroics in getting the Dragons to that point critics of the move were few but, as he prepares for his first game since that dramatic night at ANZ Stadium, Widdop admits it still stings.

‘‘It still burns, you hate losing football games,’’ Widdop said.
‘‘I went for a big play at the time which I back myself to do and will keep backing myself to do but unfortunately it went out. I obviously saw an opportunity there and those are the big plays you have to come up with as a half. If it was on again I’d do it again and hopefully next time I get it right.
‘‘You have to back yourself, you can’t go into your shell in those games. They’re make or break moments and if you’re second-guessing yourself it’s going to hurt you.’’

Second-guessing himself is not something the 26-year-old Englishman - who moved with his family from Halifax to Melbourne as a 16-year-old - has made a habit of during his career.
At just 24 he made the the decision to leave one of the NRL’s most enviable set-ups in Melbourne for a club deep in a rebuilding phase. Two years on he’s now the man charged with leading it out of the wilderness.

‘‘Coming from such a great club, with a great coach and having such great players around me...to pack up and move was quite a big move,” Widdop said.

“My wife’s from Melbourne as well and all her family’s down there so we had a lot of family support.
‘‘But I moved from England at 16 away from all my friends and family so I’ve been through it and I knew that at times it’s tough for the first few weeks, the first few months but you always come out the other end.
‘‘At that stage of my career it was time for me to move on and take a leadership role within a team and be a dominant half and it’s worked out well.”

The football Gods weren’t kind that night at ANZ Stadium but they’ve done him a solid to start the 2016 season, gifting him a round one return to Melbourne in his first game as Dragons captain.
‘‘It’s quite ironic first up down there,’’ he said.
“It probably hasn’t sunk in yet but to go back there as captain will be special.”

www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/3768837/new-captain-on-a-mission/?cs=2382

hazzbeen

Bench
Hope he and Benji have big seasons...Didn't we start the the 2015 season with the same game in Melbourne ?

Dragsters

First Grade
Yes we did.

Me too, I hope they really click and make the most of an improved backline.

I think Gaz will make a great captain and expect his game will go to another level.

Coupled with benjis xfactor they could be lethal.

hazzbeen

Bench
Yes we did.

I think Gaz will make a great captain and expect his game will go to another level.

Thanks for the reply....:thumn

SBD82

Coach
The part that stands out for me is that he will still back himself to go for the big plays. As he said, the play was right, he just didn't execute. We need him to be making those big plays when they're on.

BLM01

First Grade
If only that 40/20 in that semi was a 1 metre more in field. Their those risky big plays we need to pull off not just miss..difference between an average to good 1st grader and a champion player

hewi

Bench
If only that 40/20 in that semi was a 1 metre more in field. Their those risky big plays we need to pull off not just miss..difference between an average to good 1st grader and a champion player

IMO a champion player who was playing busted.

since77

Juniors

So Thurston, Smith, Cronk, Johns, Lockyer and all the "champions" have never gone for a big play and missed?

Minh

First Grade
Yes we did.

:thumn

Minh

First Grade

Don't agree with this, all the great players make mistakes trying to pull off a big play, they go for it. Widdop was huge in that game, he nailed a clutch goal to tie the game after the siren to bring the game into extra time. Before that he nailed another goal to get us a two point lead with 3 minutes to play, he played awesome. Widdop is a great player and let's be appreciative that he wears the Red V.

getsmarty

Immortal
Don't agree with this, all the great players make mistakes trying to pull off a big play, they go for it. Widdop was huge in that game, he nailed a clutch goal to tie the game after the siren to bring the game into extra time. Before that he nailed another goal to get us a two point lead with 3 minutes to play, he played awesome. Widdop is a great player and let's be appreciative that he wears the Red V.

Well Said.

TruSaint

Referee
Hope he and Benji have big seasons...Didn't we start the the 2015 season with the same game in Melbourne ?

Im expecting Gaz to prove his worth as Captain ( Co Captain if we include Benny ), and Benji to play his arse off for a contract ( and earn it).

Some guys just have a presence and level headedness about them, and Gaz fits the role for me as Captain.

The Nick

Bench
Widdop has proven to be such an astute signing it's still hard to believe he came under the watch of Steve Price. Surely it was a fluke?

BLM01

First Grade
So Thurston, Smith, Cronk, Johns, Lockyer and all the "champions" have never gone for a big play and missed?
Yeh they have but have nailed some too. But you are reading to deep into my comments.
For our side Widdop is a champion player who competes at everything and is invariably the last man chasing when a team makes a line break. I want him long term at the Dragons and we'd be lost without him ATM.
But we have not nailed one a big moment in a tight game yet in recent memory to pull one out of the fire and / or our poor record in golden point speaks for itself (all this is not Widdop's fault) but if he wants to be remembered as a champion in the class of those company you mention...well he has to start nailing some of those moments (i.e. winning try, field goal, 40/20 etc)

since77

Juniors
Yeh they have but have nailed some too. But you are reading to deep into my comments.
For our side Widdop is a champion player who competes at everything and is invariably the last man chasing when a team makes a line break. I want him long term at the Dragons and we'd be lost without him ATM.
But we have not nailed one a big moment in a tight game yet in recent memory to pull one out of the fire and / or our poor record in golden point speaks for itself (all this is not Widdop's fault) but if he wants to be remembered as a champion in the class of those company you mention...well he has to start nailing some of those moments (i.e. winning try, field goal, 40/20 etc)

The pressure penalty goal he nailed with minutes left in same game kicked on 1 leg after nearly having his neck snapped wasn't any good?

TruSaint

Referee
Overs. But still a fluke.

Straight Shooter

Is there anything that brings you joy or "objectivity".
Seriously, I have sat back and watch you find a fault in everything relating to our club, team and for that matter, anything ( apart from your own delusional commentary ).