What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Widdop so far in the four nations

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Anyone else watch the Poms against the Kiwis? I thought Widdop didn't play too badly, tried hard all game. He certainly played a lot more adventurously than he does for the Dragons. Kicked well except for the final drop goal attempt which admittedly was a long way out. Unfortunately he also gave the stupid pass which was intercepted by Shaun Johnson. Reasonable effort nonetheless.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
He was fully involved throughout, intercept pass was the only blemish. Good coaching makes a difference. Overall I thought England looked a bit like us in early 2009.

Close match. Johnson was sensational for the Kiwis, without him they would have lost for sure.

getsmarty

Immortal
Was definitely better than he is for us. Put in some nice kicks that almost led to tries if the winger catches them. Looks like a player down on form, which comes from being coached by Mary. Wouldn't surprise me if he leaves to link up with Bellamy at the Storm.Mary would coach the good instincts out of most players.

blacksafake

First Grade
Thought he was good. Went to the line,ball played,kicking especially goal was good. The intercept was unfortunate but players like Johnson can do that to you. The thing i noticed most was his talking he never seems to talk so much for us.

KiamaSaint

Coach
Thought he was good. Went to the line,ball played,kicking especially goal was good. The intercept was unfortunate but players like Johnson can do that to you. The thing i noticed most was his talking he never seems to talk so much for us.

Now, now, there is the press conference :p

Gareth67

First Grade

Good point - Blacksafake - after watching the after match interviews with the Maestro , and the ice cold interaction between the two , I often had the feeling that Widdop had just about given up on Mary's ability to have any sort of positive impact upon the team , and as a result played accordingly . Sad I know , but that's the way it came across to me .

With Bennett everything has turned around 180 degrees , not only does he expect his team to win , but he also explains to the players how it is to be done , he keeps it simple , and by so doing , instills the will to win in his teams .

As a result of Bennett , the real Gareth Widdop has stood up .

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
Can't believe that hopeless player Widdop through an intercept pass that pretty much cost England the game and not a word from Sigurd.
His silence obviously shows his true feelings and admiration for Widdop and he doesn't want to upset him with any negative vibes.
Turncoat

SaintHarry

Juniors
Widdop isn't the best option for England.. there are better players in the super league. He plays in a pivotal position and not a peep comes out of him and cant direct the play he gets bullied on the field.

Gareth67

First Grade
Can't believe that hopeless player Widdop through an intercept pass that pretty much cost England the game and not a word from Sigurd.
His silence obviously shows his true feelings and admiration for Widdop and he doesn't want to upset him with any negative vibes.
Turncoat

I believe that there is a reason why he is so quite .
He has bought himself one of those ' airplane ' tickets , and has gone over to England to support his hero , Gareth Widdop .

In fact , after watching Gareth almost steer England to an upset win against the Kiwi's , he has more than likely screamed himself hoarse .

Old Timer

Coach
Gareth,

We all know Sigurd was a bit of a pest and probably of the flying variety.

I think technically speaking he was holometabolous and has attained complete metamorphosis and flown away otherwise he would have seized the moment form the England v NZ game.

Very sad that his alter ego's are all gone too the egg (Vas), lava (Steve T), pupa (Ruby) and Sigurd was the adult (hard to believe) which in the insect kingdom is a bummer because all the other stages normally have significantly longer lives.

Widdop looks to have outlasted all of them probably got a TPA with Mortein.

Gareth67

First Grade
Gareth,

We all know Sigurd was a bit of a pest and probably of the flying variety.

I think technically speaking he was holometabolous and has attained complete metamorphosis and flown away otherwise he would have seized the moment form the England v NZ game.

Very sad that his alter ego's are all gone too the egg (Vas), lava (Steve T), pupa (Ruby) and Sigurd was the adult (hard to believe) which in the insect kingdom is a bummer because all the other stages normally have significantly longer lives.
Widdop looks to have outlasted all of them probably got a TPA with Mortein.

Er . . well . . .yes , I agree with most of what you have said , but that's no reason , for you to swear at him .

Last edited:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Turncoat
You stir the pot more as much as anyone OT. Of course you know that Gareth Widdop also set up tries and kick goals... but why let that get in the way of creating the negative vibes.

I'll say right here that Widdop is a fine competitor, and a player who looks purpose-built for Rugby League. Like most players, he has had to deal with some ordinary stuff at Club management levels. But are they paid to deal with it.

We know that the majority of players are better than what we have seen in the last few seasons.

This is no Benji vs Gareth stuff... just a statement.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Widdop isn't the best option for England.. there are better players in the super league. He plays in a pivotal position and not a peep comes out of him and cant direct the play he gets bullied on the field.
He was talking heaps in the England vs NZ match.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Good point - Blacksafake - after watching the after match interviews with the Maestro , and the ice cold interaction between the two , I often had the feeling that Widdop had just about given up on Mary's ability to have any sort of positive impact upon the team , and as a result played accordingly . Sad I know , but that's the way it came across to me .

With Bennett everything has turned around 180 degrees , not only does he expect his team to win , but he also explains to the players how it is to be done , he keeps it simple , and by so doing , instills the will to win in his teams .

As a result of Bennett , the real Gareth Widdop has stood up .

Spot on gareth believing and having respect and mutual respect from both player and coach goes a long way to lift the player to become a better player.
And being able to communicate with each other is also a great way for the players to grow.
Imho Mary doesn't like anyone except him to have any options.

Old Timer

Coach
You stir the pot more as much as anyone OT. Of course you know that Gareth Widdop also set up tries and kick goals... but why let that get in the way of creating the negative vibes.

I'll say right here that Widdop is a fine competitor, and a player who looks purpose-built for Rugby League. Like most players, he has had to deal with some ordinary stuff at Club management levels. But are they paid to deal with it.

We know that the majority of players are better than what we have seen in the last few seasons.

This is no Benji vs Gareth stuff... just a statement.
Slow down Willow and read between the lines.
The post was in jest and a dig at Sigurd I can't believe you couldn't work that out.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Slow down Willow and read between the lines.
The post was in jest and a dig at Sigurd I can't believe you couldn't work that out.
Now that's comprehnsion irony.

Hence why I said: "Of course you know that Gareth Widdop also set up tries and kick goals... but why let that get in the way of creating the negative vibes."

Sigurd hasn't even posted in this thread but yet, you are doing your best to draw him out. It's a good thread, why try to derail it?

Read between the lines indeed.

Old Timer

Coach
Now that's comprehnsion irony.

Hence why I said: "Of course you know that Gareth Widdop also set up tries and kick goals... but why let that get in the way of creating the negative vibes."

Sigurd hasn't even posted in this thread but yet, you are doing your best to draw him out. It's a good thread, why try to derail it?

Read between the lines indeed.
Willow
Get off your high horse.
Mine or any other persons post will have no effect in drawing Sigurd out in relation to Widdop his mere name or actions is enough to do that.
You have had many requests re Sigurd's derailing tactics and he is continually allowed to do it but a bit of a joke between a few people and you want to chastise people for it.
If Sigurd derails threads, then an as an administrator do something about it.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Meanwhile back on a not unrelated topic. . .

Anyone remember a bloke called Olsen Filipaina. Bought by Balmain a long time ago to be their 5/8, played shit, and was dropped to reserves. New Zealand picked him for a test where he played like the worlds best player ever, easily accounting for a highly regarded Australian side.

Its good to see Widdop playing well and i hope he continues to do so. My big fear is he turns out to be another Filipaina, needing motivation that Mary or club football cannot provide.