What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Widdop to Fullback Field to 5/8 in 2019?

Dragonslayer

First Grade
If Field was the anointed next 5/8th, they wouldn't be so keen to hang on to Mann.

I think there lies the answer to the question posed.

Club has spent a lot of time and money "developing" juniors.

Last year guys continuously panned Leilua and Lawrie as not being ready for FG.

Due only to our forward pack physically disintegrating the boys were given some consistent game time.

Yeas they made mistakes along the way, but they sure did develop very quickly when given that game time.

They are now ready for FG.

Field deserves the same opportunity.

The club will save a considerable amount of money over several years if Dufty and or Field develop into quality FG players.

It is worth a punt to give Field a serious shot.

KiamaSaint

Coach
2 edge forwards on the bench, one middle, and move our international 5/8 and captain to fullback.

Mary gets a hard time on these forums for his coaching, but sometimes in comparison to the ideas thrown around on here, he looks like a deadset genius.

International 5/8th? Didn't Widdop play fullback for England actually making him an international fullback? Wayne thought Widdop was up for fullback but hey, what would he know? Yeah, yeah, one international game vs a whole NRL season, yadda yadda, but it is hardly the worse idea.

@muzby, given the comment appears in this thread, it is reasonable to assume that SBD82's comment that Mary "looks like a deadset genius" applies to Saints Forever idea, and therefore if we are saying that Saints Forever makes someone like Mary look like a deadset genius, it stands to reason that he must be an absolute moron. It was an attack, and an unnecessary one at that in my opinion.

SBD82

Coach
@muzby, given the comment appears in this thread, it is reasonable to assume that SBD82's comment that Mary "looks like a deadset genius" applies to Saints Forever idea, and therefore if we are saying that Saints Forever makes someone like Mary look like a deadset genius, it stands to reason that he must be an absolute moron. It was an attack, and an unnecessary one at that in my opinion.
Mary gets a hard time on these forums for his coaching, but sometimes in comparison to the ideas thrown around on here, he looks like a deadset genius.
I literally attacked an idea. Not the person.

If ideas are now sacrosanct, this forum is going to be pretty boring.

ouryears

Bench
He wasn’t attacking the person, he was attacking the idea that was floated..

Have another read of it...

The below from SBD82 is just one example of him attacking a person for an opinion, there are tens of other examples. Widdop must be proud to have advocates such as SBD82.

You're a piece of shit.
I think you'd be best suited to a career as a punching bag.

ouryears

Bench
Where do people get this idea that Wayne selected Widdop at fullback. Yes he was moved there but it was because their fullback was injured and they had 5/8 cover but not fullback so Widdop moved there, it would not have happened without injury
Regardless, Widdop is a better FB than 5/8.
At FB he does not have to manage the game, nor close a game out, both key tasks he struggles with. He also does not have to worry about taking the line on with not too much space at 5/8, which obviously concerns him as he runs across field at 5/8.

ouryears

Bench
I stand by my opinion of you.
Awwwwww, that makes me feel proud, knowing a person with your character attributes does not like me.
It’s like being hated by Hitler or hated by Putin, tells me I am doing something right.

ouryears

Bench
Where do people get this idea that Wayne selected Widdop at fullback. Yes he was moved there but it was because their fullback was injured and they had 5/8 cover but not fullback so Widdop moved there, it would not have happened without injury
Tomkins, Ratchford and Lomax are all pommie fullbacks Wayne could have put there. He did come out and say he believes Widdop is a more natural FB than 5/8

SBD82

Coach
Awwwwww, that makes me feel proud, knowing a person with your character attributes does not like me.
It’s like being hated by Hitler or hated by Putin, tells me I am doing something right.
I'm glad I could help. My sole ambition in life is to make you feel good about yourself.

Crush

Coach
Unfortunately Field is a featherweight.
I know players can bulk up and grow into their bodies but this kid is a skinny runt. That worries me when you have other kids like Nick Cotric that are bigger and stronger and still possess the skill of Field.
Dufty to me seems more likely to make it, he's nuggety and hits holes with speed. Also Dufty can see a gap and put an outside back through a hole with quick crisp passing.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
I like Field, I think he's got some skills and obviously he's quick, but I don't think he's our answer at 5/8.

It's pretty clear that Hunt plays a lot better when he has a cool, calm head alongside him in the halves. Someone with experience who can take control and pressure off him at times so he doesn't have to make every big decision in a game. Particularly if it's a big game.

Now Field has some skill, but he is so far from being a game-manager it's actually laughable. He would not be the ideal partner for Hunt and I doubt they'd bring the best out of each other.
Field is a runner of the ball and can throw a pass from fullback, but his kicking game is pretty non-existent and he seems to get pretty spooked when the game is on the line. Not to mention his decision-making at times is shocking. I've always thought he was a better fullback than 5/8.

I know the "how do you know unless you give him a go" people are going to shut me down on this, but if you lose a marquee 5/8, you want to be replacing him with a marquee 5/8. We need experience NOW, not a spine player with training wheels.

I literally attacked an idea. Not the person.

If ideas are now sacrosanct, this forum is going to be pretty boring.

all good SBD82, ideas are not sacrosanct.

I accept you feel the idea I floated has no merit. I don't have a problem with that.

Comparing my idea with Mary's bag of ideas is somewhat rich. Don't think I would have played JDB at half against Brisbane with a junior kangaroo half sitting on my bench :)).

It is pretty clear given the statements that have been made by Widdop and the club that 2019 will be Gareth Widdop's last season at Saints.

We bellyache when the juniors aren't given a shot.

We bellyache when the club overpays for a "star".

Your response is based on your opinion of Field. In the hand full of minutes Field played in the last game or so of the season, he made his one on one tackles. He has bulked up and maintained his speed. One more preseason and we may see a new Field. Better we find out whether Field can cut it before he leaves the club.

I like Field, I think he's got some skills and obviously he's quick, but I don't think he's our answer at 5/8.

It's pretty clear that Hunt plays a lot better when he has a cool, calm head alongside him in the halves. Someone with experience who can take control and pressure off him at times so he doesn't have to make every big decision in a game. Particularly if it's a big game.

Now Field has some skill, but he is so far from being a game-manager it's actually laughable. He would not be the ideal partner for Hunt and I doubt they'd bring the best out of each other.
Field is a runner of the ball and can throw a pass from fullback, but his kicking game is pretty non-existent and he seems to get pretty spooked when the game is on the line. Not to mention his decision-making at times is shocking. I've always thought he was a better fullback than 5/8.

I know the "how do you know unless you give him a go" people are going to shut me down on this, but if you lose a marquee 5/8, you want to be replacing him with a marquee 5/8. We need experience NOW, not a spine player with training wheels.

I agree that we need a top class 5/8 to replace Widdop if/when he leaves.

I am not saying Field is the answer, I am saying test him for 6-8 weeks. We have time to sign a "marquee" player and shouldn't rush such an important decision given the fact Munster has signed with Melbourne, and Norman is inconsistent.

We nearly signed Hayne because he was "available" and because the club needed some good news to feed us whilst delivering bad news.

Enough said.

SBD82

Coach
all good SBD82, ideas are not sacrosanct.

I accept you feel the idea I floated has no merit. I don't have a problem with that

Your response is based on your opinion of Field. In the hand full of minutes Field played in the last game or so of the season, he made his one on one tackles. He has bulked up and maintained his speed. One more preseason and we may see a new Field. Better we find out whether Field can cut it before he leaves the club.
My issue with playing dufty at 6 is that imo we have a better 6, and a better 1. If our younger players continue their improvement from last year, I think we can have a shot at the title this year, but that potential lessens greatly if we move toward a development thrust and looking towards 2020. I suspect that field will get some game time this year through natural attrition, and quite probably in the halves. I hope he goes well. But I don't see how the answer is to weaken our team in the initial stages of the season. Widdop brings a lot to our team at 6: among other things, he and hunt make a very good combination and take pressure off one another's kicking and running games.

As to comparing your ideas to Mary, he has some shockers, sure, but my major criticism of him is his inability to respond to unexpected situations. (His plan b). but his plan A is generally pretty good, and it was your plan A to which I was making the comparison. So it's not as low a bar as if others (the fervent "sack Mary" crowd) had compared you to Mary.