What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Widdop to Fullback Field to 5/8 in 2019?

Como Connection

First Grade
My issue with playing dufty at 6 is that imo we have a better 6, and a better 1. If our younger players continue their improvement from last year, I think we can have a shot at the title this year, but that potential lessens greatly if we move toward a development thrust and looking towards 2020. I suspect that field will get some game time this year through natural attrition, and quite probably in the halves. I hope he goes well. But I don't see how the answer is to weaken our team in the initial stages of the season. Widdop brings a lot to our team at 6: among other things, he and hunt make a very good combination and take pressure off one another's kicking and running games.

As to comparing your ideas to Mary, he has some shockers, sure, but my major criticism of him is his inability to respond to unexpected situations. (His plan b). but his plan A is generally pretty good, and it was your plan A to which I was making the comparison. So it's not as low a bar as if others (the fervent "sack Mary" crowd) had compared you to Mary.
Mary's plan A, four hit ups then spread the ball and kick on the last!
CC

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
@muzby, given the comment appears in this thread, it is reasonable to assume that SBD82's comment that Mary "looks like a deadset genius" applies to Saints Forever idea, and therefore if we are saying that Saints Forever makes someone like Mary look like a deadset genius, it stands to reason that he must be an absolute moron. It was an attack, and an unnecessary one at that in my opinion.
If it was a personal attack, he’s gone about it in a very round-a-bout way..

He discussed the idea, not the person, generalised it by mentioning that there were quite a number of bad ideas in here, whilst also talking about people’s critique of Mary’s coaching ability, not Mary himself..

It’s akin to saying to someone “that’s a stupid idea” vs saying to someone “you’re stupid”..

One demeans the idea or discussion point, the other demeans the person..

Imagine this place if we all sat about deconstructing Dostoevsky in the same manner...

SBD82

Coach
If it was a personal attack, he’s gone about it in a very round-a-bout way..

He discussed the idea, not the person, generalised it by mentioning that there were quite a number of bad ideas in here, whilst also talking about people’s critique of Mary’s coaching ability, not Mary himself..

It’s akin to saying to someone “that’s a stupid idea” vs saying to someone “you’re stupid”..

One demeans the idea or discussion point, the other demeans the person..

Imagine this place if we all sat about deconstructing Dostoevsky in the same manner...
Dostoevsky was a merkin.

KiamaSaint

Coach
Widdop to fullback is not a stupid idea. It has a lot of merit.

Remember when SBW left the Bulldogs and the Roosters made a "handshake deal" for him to come back to them when he was ready?

I wish we would do the same with Val Holmes. "If the NFL doesn't work out, come back and play FB with the Dragons. Gareth is going in 2020 so we will be cashed up".

Play Widdop at FB, manufacture a 5/8... Field or Lomax, bring in Holmes in 2020. McInnes - Hunt - Lomax or Field - Holmes in 2020. Sadly our club won't have that kind of foresight.

watatank

Coach
I think if you want to look at Field then you need to bring him in from fullback.

He's likely not going to contribute much as a five eighth at NRL level without time at fullback. I think he is more suited to that spot but could develop into a five eighth with time.

Don't know what is going to happen with Widdop but if he's available then he should play in the halves. we're still trying to win here. If we were looking to rebuild then we would have given him an immediate release.

Rob Dragon

Juniors
Saints Forever, respect your right to start the thread to ignite discussion but you also have to accept if folks don't agree with you.

My 2 cents worth:

i. Love players with speed, they terrorise opposition, but you have to be able to tackle. Jai Field has defensive problems in the ISP. Imagine him playing Penrith in 1st grade for example. Where do you think Billy Kickau or any of those other monsters would be running. Right at Jai Field.

ii. Ben Hunt is not an organising half, he is better at running the football. You have to have one of the half's organising and this is Widdop's main attribute. Have a look at how Brisbane are going when they cannot get a half to compliment Milford. It is another reason that Maloney and Blake Green are in such demand; they organise their teams.

I am getting to the stage where I think Field should be on the wing or no-where.

BLM01

First Grade
Saints Forever, respect your right to start the thread to ignite discussion but you also have to accept if folks don't agree with you.

My 2 cents worth:

i. Love players with speed, they terrorise opposition, but you have to be able to tackle. Jai Field has defensive problems in the ISP. Imagine him playing Penrith in 1st grade for example. Where do you think Billy Kickau or any of those other monsters would be running. Right at Jai Field.

ii. Ben Hunt is not an organising half, he is better at running the football. You have to have one of the half's organising and this is Widdop's main attribute. Have a look at how Brisbane are going when they cannot get a half to compliment Milford. It is another reason that Maloney and Blake Green are in such demand; they organise their teams.

I am getting to the stage where I think Field should be on the wing or no-where.
Everything you said I think is on the mark..but my $1.50c worth is if Field or the club cant fix his defense, you cant be in the 17, wingers get found out more than anyone and he is too short. He stays where he belongs..unless!

SBD82

Coach
Mary wouldnt move Widdop to fullback and play Field at 5/8,Mary's goal for next year is to get a 3 year extension, he will not experiment one iota , he will not risk playing a youngster if he has an older experienced guy in the squad....
Oh come on. The reason that Mary won't move widdop is because widdop is a world class 6.

Having said that, the reason that aitken will start at right centre ahead of lomax could be exactly what you've outlined here.

Slackboy72

Coach
Field cannot tackle full stop.

This is what many who just watch youtube highlights fail to recognise for most up and coming talent.
Watch the last 20 minutes of the Melbourne game when all the juniors started getting tired and dropping off tackles left right and centre.

Belta

Juniors
I wouldn’t make any changes. Its a big concern that Widdops not committed to his contract. I dont see anyone filling his shoes from our current roster, but wouldn’t be harsh on the club for pressuring Widdop to agree on an immediate release. Most of our backs are a gamble so putting Mann to five eight ain’t gunna end that bad. 2019 will be a repeat of 2018 anyway with our forwards being relied upon to get us the win in most games anyway.

BLM01

First Grade
This is what many who just watch youtube highlights fail to recognise for most up and coming talent.
Watch the last 20 minutes of the Melbourne game when all the juniors started getting tired and dropping off tackles left right and centre.
Which Juniors would they have been? Host left in the 1st half injured, Nicholls has been around and in mid-late 20's and he wont make it in 1st grade anyway. Robson?...bench player
That leaves Blake Lawrie & Luc..we all know about Luc but is improving but I saw a lot of regular 1st graders failing in that last 20...even the vet poor Flo
I assume you have watched ISP games this year like I have live and what I have seen.. Field has a lot of issues defending in the line and at full back 1 on 1 from kickoff...not just in the last 20 minutes..but brilliant footwork and speed off the mark and yes talent even kick goals....but he aint ready for 1st grade 80 mins defense.