What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wig World Record Announcement - Knights fans

Gooba

Juniors
It's official. Newcastle Knights fans are the best in the world... at wearing wigs.
EnergyAustralia Stadium was a sea of glittering colour on 7 September 2003 as Knights fans donned wigs as part of NIB Health Funds' 50th Birthday celebrations with the community.

The event, held during the Knights last home game for the 2003 season, aimed to set a world record for the most wigs worn at a single venue and was part of the Mater Hospital's 2003 Wig Week campaign raising money for cancer care and treatment.

Guinness World Records™ has recently confirmed that the 5,574 Knights fans that participated and registered on the day are now world record holders.

Knights' legend "The Chief" Paul Harragon thanked Newcastle Knights supporters before the Knights vs. Raiders match at EnergyAustralia Stadium on Saturday night.

NIB also released a commemorative poster in The Newcastle Herald on Saturday 7 August to congratulate the people of the Hunter on becoming Guinness World Record holders.

According to NIB's Chief Executive, Mark Fitzgibbon, it was a fantastic effort.

"Congratulations to everyone who took part - it really was a unique event that provided an incredible spectacle and also raised $17,500 for the Mater Hospital".

Mr Fitzgibbon said that cancer patients in the Hunter were already experiencing the benefits of the fundraising effort.

"The Mater Hospital has used the money to purchase equipment that allows cancer patients to be treated in the comfort of their own home," Mr Fitzgibbon said.
Knights site

Kaz

junior
Gooba said:
The event, held during the Knights last home game for the 2003 season, aimed to set a world record for the most wigs worn at a single venue and was part of the Mater Hospital's 2003 Wig Week campaign raising money for cancer care and treatment.

Knights' legend "The Chief" Paul Harragon thanked Newcastle Knights supporters before the Knights vs. Raiders match at EnergyAustralia Stadium on Saturday night.

How could The Chief thank the Knights supporters, it is not Saturday night yet. :? :lol:

northey

First Grade

i was there last year and i wore a wig.......
chief looked so funny with his wig on but you know who looked even funnier??? hages... he wore his wig the whole gamew and they kept showing him on the big screen.. it was so good!

Johns-All-Day

Juniors
Kaz said:

How could The Chief thank the Knights supporters, it is not Saturday night yet. :? :lol:
It is worded very poorly, but I think you know what they're trying to say. :p The Chief has thanked the supporters, and he did it before this weekend's game which is on Saturday night (tonight).

~bedsy~

First Grade
northey said:
i was there last year and i wore a wig.......
chief looked so funny with his wig on but you know who looked even funnier??? hages... he wore his wig the whole gamew and they kept showing him on the big screen.. it was so good!
That was ssoo funny... I was at the game as well, part of the world record :lol: It was great to be a part of.

eddo

Juniors
I'm so glad they broke the record. :clap:

I was at the game but didn't wear a wig. I'd feel a bit stupid if they missed it by one person