What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wild Card Weekend - reports NRL looking to expand finals to ten teams

Are you in favour of the proposed Wildcard Weekend?

• Total voters

Burns

First Grade
I was making a Thread on this, booo.

The story hasn't aired yet, may have more details? Will update post in next 15min

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...p/news-story/2a4f564e60b83b0746a342c7499e07e4

The NRL is set for a massive top eight finals shake-up in 2020 with the introduction of a wildcard round to be played between four teams.
In what will make the race to the finals even more exciting, teams that finish seventh to 10th on the NRL ladder will compete against each other for the final two spots in the top eight.

The teams that finish first to sixth will earn a week off.

92f39b152483c7f3e840605182439ac9

How the Wildcard Weekend would've worked based on last year's ladder.Source: FOX SPORTS
If the change had been implemented last season, the Wests Tigers and Canberra would’ve had the chance to break into the finals despite six and 10 points behind the Warriors who finished in eighth.

The fourth team that would’ve made up the wildcard round would’ve been St George Illawarra who finished in seventh.

Eighth will play ninth, while seventh will play 10th for spots in the elimination finals.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
This would certainly make 5th and 6th more appealing. I'm sure the teams that finish there would be pretty confident of beating 9th and 10th if they proceeded through

Last Week

Bench
If we had conferences or an extra 4 teams, sure, why not.

The only benefit I can see to this is finals teams getting a week off after the season.

unforgiven

Bench
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...p/news-story/2a4f564e60b83b0746a342c7499e07e4

The NRL is set for a massive top eight finals shake-up in 2020 with the introduction of a wildcard round to be played between four teams.
In what will make the race to the finals even more exciting, teams that finish seventh to 10th on the NRL ladder will compete against each other for the final two spots in the top eight.

The teams that finish first to sixth will earn a week off.

92f39b152483c7f3e840605182439ac9

How the Wildcard Weekend would've worked based on last year's ladder.Source: FOX SPORTS
If the change had been implemented last season, the Wests Tigers and Canberra would’ve had the chance to break into the finals despite six and 10 points behind the Warriors who finished in eighth.

The fourth team that would’ve made up the wildcard round would’ve been St George Illawarra who finished in seventh.

Eighth will play ninth, while seventh will play 10th for spots in the elimination finals.
So 10 out of 16 teams to make the Finals, That is dumb and I support the Tigers who always finish 9th.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I don't like the idea in principle, but it *is* an extra week of footy... hmmm

GongPanther

Referee
They have a few more games for the broadcasters. And what about the prize money kitty in the finals series? Does it get watered down with the extra two teams,or does the prize money get a boost.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Even though it would have put us in the frame the last couple a seasons I think it’s rubbish. Would only be good if it was 8th to 5th playing for the 5th and 6th positions.