What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will Hunt get the Sims treatment from Broncos' fans?

no name

Coach
Ashton Sims was crucified by Broncos' fans for his error late in the game against the Storm in week 2 of the 2008 semis.
Some people still haven't forgiven him.

Will Ben Hunt be treated the same by Bronco fans and be forever condemned for his 3 crucial errors in a much bigger game?

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
No. Hunt has the potential to get us into the position of winning premiership/s.

Ashton is a simpleton.

user_nat

Coach
Obviously not. It's been a week, it took about 5 seconds for us to start hating on Sims.

Sims plodded all season and then dropped the ball. Hunt only plodded through the Grand Final, as you do.

some11

Referee
No.

Hunt can and has won games for us on his own, and was a huge reason we made it that far.

Charlie124

First Grade
Some would argue that being a crucial player and getting you to the grand final and then costing it for you is far worse than just doing what you'd always done and plod along like Sims did until he made it to the Cowboys. What's the bigger let down? Which is he most out of character? You can't blame genius for being a genius but you sure as hell can blame a top shelf player for being a genius.

Dropping the ball off the kick off is a basic, no pressure mistake. Having the ball stripped off you when you're up by 4 in a grand final with a minute to go is unforgivable and spear tackling a bloke to gift the opposition field position and a shot to win it is just as bad.

P.S I would take big Ashton back at the Cows in a heartbeat.

Shorty

Staff member
If the Bronco's great 5/8 could defend that dropped ball from Sims would've been forgotten.

This seems to be lost on a lot of Broncs supporters, that it was actually a Lockyer overlap that allowed that last Storm try.

drago brelli

Bench
Hunt didn't lose Brisbane the GF, it was the negative tactics of kicking the ball into touch that probably cost them.

beave

Coach
If the Bronco's great 5/8 could defend that dropped ball from Sims would've been forgotten.

This.

So much this.

Even at the time I couldn't believe the shit Ashton was copping over it all. Everyone forgets the Broncos RH defence was swiss cheese like at the end. But hey, blame it on the bloke who f**ked up but was no where near the try when it was scored a few tackles later. I'd have the big lunatic back at NQ anyday of the week. But we would have to lose a bench forward, and unfortunatley, there's not one there I would relegate/drop for him. So its a moot point.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Hunt has a long way to go. He has demonstrated on more then one occasion he cracks with a shocking play at crucial moments. There is a mental fragility there that can be exploited by the opposition.

All the blame for the tactic of kicking into touch has been heaped upon Bennett, but it came down to Hunt to make these choices in general play. Where are the questions about his decision making in those final moments? It is all very well to be a flat track bully when there is no pressure, but I'm yet to be convinced of his leadership qualities in pressure situations.

In time he may grow from this experience. But I know this much, I want him nowhere near the Origin side.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Ashton Sims was awesome for North Queensland, particularly last year. Drongos fans hold far too much say in his legacy in the NRL.

He was with us for longer and even captained our club, I think we are better judges on his ability.

Maximus

Coach
This seems to be lost on a lot of Broncs supporters, that it was actually a Lockyer overlap that allowed that last Storm try.

Its not really lost on them. They freely admit in this thread that they treat good players differently. Sims is just a scapegoat. If they had someone they could blame this time, they would be doing the exact same thing.

Big Pete

Referee
No, because most Broncos fans blame the signing of Ashton Sims on the loss of Petero Civoniceiva. Hunt on the other hand, is seen as something of a saviour. For years, the Broncos were victim of some extremely insipid play from Peter Wallace and were dying for a natural half. Up steps Ben Hunt, who after years of slumming it as a bench hooker, is given the shot and makes the most of it. It's a great Rugby League story and it's difficult not to be forgiving of him.

As for Sims, the problem is that you have to be very patient with him. He reminds me a lot of Costigan to an extent. There are games where he's going to drop two or three balls and give away a penalty when it's unwarranted. Then there are bigger occasions, where he'll lay on a big hit at a crucial juncture and do his best to lift his team mates.

While we're pointing fingers, I find the implication that Sims only became a good player when he stepped on the hallowed turf of 1300SMILES. He actually had a rich vain of form in 2009 that coincided with the Broncos run. Unfortunately for him, it was lost behind the form of Dave Taylor, Karmichael Hunt and Jharal Yow Yeh.

Unfortunately for him, he never had that moment of redemption. Whenever players like Hodges, Lockyer, Hayne to an extent had shockers on the big stage, they usually found a way to redeem themselves. Sims never got that taste in the rep arena or achieved premiership glory to really win the Rugby League public over.

Melbourne had the overlap and were rolling through the middle with ease. To blame Locky is plain wrong.

Noa

First Grade
No, because most Broncos fans blame the signing of Ashton Sims on the loss of Petero Civoniceiva. Hunt on the other hand, is seen as something of a saviour. For years, the Broncos were victim of some extremely insipid play from Peter Wallace and were dying for a natural half. Up steps Ben Hunt, who after years of slumming it as a bench hooker, is given the shot and makes the most of it. It's a great Rugby League story and it's difficult not to be forgiving of him.

As for Sims, the problem is that you have to be very patient with him. He reminds me a lot of Costigan to an extent. There are games where he's going to drop two or three balls and give away a penalty when it's unwarranted. Then there are bigger occasions, where he'll lay on a big hit at a crucial juncture and do his best to lift his team mates.

While we're pointing fingers, I find the implication that Sims only became a good player when he stepped on the hallowed turf of 1300SMILES. He actually had a rich vain of form in 2009 that coincided with the Broncos run. Unfortunately for him, it was lost behind the form of Dave Taylor, Karmichael Hunt and Jharal Yow Yeh.

Unfortunately for him, he never had that moment of redemption. Whenever players like Hodges, Lockyer, Hayne to an extent had shockers on the big stage, they usually found a way to redeem themselves. Sims never got that taste in the rep arena or achieved premiership glory to really win the Rugby League public over.

Melbourne had the overlap and were rolling through the middle with ease. To blame Locky is plain wrong.

yep.

Saved me the trouble of explaining this. Making Inroads up the guts always sucks the defence in, Broncs marked up with what they had but in the end it was one too few.