What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will Kalyn Ponga surpass Billy Slater as the greatest fullback ever?

Will Kalyn Ponga surpass Billy Slater as the greatest fullback ever?

• Total voters

Travitoh

First Grade
This the whole problem with the way NRL pumps up its elite players. Too much hype around individual players, just makes them ripe for the picking. RU can sign that player, gain an elite player and the associated hype that RL has created.

Who was the last elite player to go from league to union? Folau/Hunt via VFL?

Pedge1971

First Grade
There is nothing like the crowd at an NRL Grand Final. That is something that the Sydney Roosters can offer Kalyn Ponga. Plus the Roosters offer the chance for Kalyn Ponga to match himself against the Dutch Billy Slater, Ryan Papenhuyzen, in a Grand Final.

Nope. They mostly win the $100k minor premiership in front of a few seagulls. The 18th man was really behind them at the scg today....

Pedge1971

First Grade
This the whole problem with the way NRL pumps up its elite players. Too much hype around individual players, just makes them ripe for the picking. RU can sign that player, gain an elite player and the associated hype that RL has created.

You see this as a problem? f**k they are damned if they do and damned if they dont.....

betcats

Referee
Ponga is amazing but you’d take teddy over him every day of the week right now, it’s not close.

betcats

Referee
You can’t even really compare Ponga and Tedesco. Their games are very different and so are their strengths.

TheY play the same position, you can compare their impact for sure the kangaroos selectors will be doing that. Notbagging Ponga at all, Teddy is just on another level right now. I wouldn’t just assume Ponga is going to go past Teddy anytime soon.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Well going forward I think Qld would be mad not to go with:

1. Munster
6. Ponga
7. DCE

I don't believe Ponga has the size, kick returns or running game from inside his own territory to ever be as good as Teddy at Origin level.

Even Slater never reached Lord Ted's legendary heights of the last two series consistently in Origin.

At Origin level there's Lord Ted and then there's the other blokes.

Well going forward I think Qld would be mad not to go with:

1. Munster
6. Ponga
7. DCE

I don't believe Ponga has the size, kick returns or running game from inside his own territory to ever be as good as Teddy at Origin level.

Even Slater never reached Lord Ted's legendary heights of the last two series consistently in Origin.

At Origin level there's Lord Ted and then there's the other blokes.

Sorry Tommy but you obviously didn't watch Ponga play five eight for the Knights earlier this year. He was terrible in the multiple games he played there. He didn't start showing any real form until he went back to fullback. No way in the wild world he will be playing five eight for Qld anytime soon - not unless Qld want to lose.