What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will Kennedy re-signs

Don Tweddle

Juniors
Kennedy re-signs for 2021
Author
Sharks Media
Timestamp
Tue 11 Aug 2020, 11:42 AM

Another of the young players to come through the Sharks development and academy system, fullback Will Kennedy has made every post a winner in nine games in the top grade in the 13 rounds played so far in the 2020 season.

A big improver who has more than shown his ability to handle the pressures of NRL football, Kennedy has been rewarded for his efforts in signing a one-year contract extension with the Cronulla club through the 2021 season.

The 23-year-old, originally from Bathurst but who came down from the western NSW region to join the Sharks as a 17-year-old, Kennedy was one of the heroes of the dual championship success achieved by the Newtown Jets last year, while now having played 11 NRL games after debuting in round six in 2019.

In nine games this year he has scored three tries, but perhaps more impressive has been his ball playing ability, with Kennedy having seven try assists to his name, coupled with his safe work at the back, never better highlighted than in Sunday’s clash where he handled everything thrown at him by the Eels in extremely challenging conditions for a fullback. Kennedy’s re-signing represents a significant addition to the Sharks NRL squad for 2021.

Having seen his development first-hand, coach John Morris was thrilled Kennedy had agreed to re-sign with the Sharks and sees him as a player with a definite future in the NRL.

“It is great news for the club that Will has extended his contract,” Morris said. “He is a great success story, making the transition through our elite pathway system from SG Ball to the NRL where Will made his debut in 2019.

“Will’s commitment to his game, coupled with his outstanding character and talent makes him a perfect fit for our club. He has added the consistency to his game necessary to be a success as a starting NRL fullback and I’ve been extremely pleased with his performances so far this year,” Morris added.

Quietly spoken and a player who usually prefers to let his actions on the field do his talking, Kennedy was thrilled to have extended his time at the Sharks and was looking forward to the rest of this year as well as to what the 2021 season might hold.

“I’ve been here a while now and I love the playing group we have here and love the club, so I’m really happy to be staying,” Kennedy said. “I’ve enjoyed the opportunities I’ve had so far, I want to just keep improving and hope to be a part of something special here at the Sharks.”

The re-signing of Kennedy continues the Sharks efforts to secure some of their exciting young talent coming through the ranks, with Siosifa Talakai, Royce Hunt and Teig Wilton amongst some of the others to have signed new contracts with the club in recent months.

Will Kennedy fact file
DOB: April 18, 1997 – Bathurst
Junior Club: Bathurst St Pats
Height: 183cm
Weight: 93kgs
NRL Debut: Sharks v Panthers, PointsBet
Stadium, Round 6, 2019
NRL Games Played: 11
Tries: 3

ghoti

Bench
Ah that's great! He didn't look ready at all last year or his first few appearances this year, but how fkn impressive of him to turn it around and not only add more attacking dimensions to his game, but improve his hands to end up rock solid in the Kogarah cyclone. Must have a good head on him to pick the confidence up and work through it... right character to have around the club.

I wonder what Morris' plan is for him? Needs work on his positional play in defence and get a bit heavier to handle the impacts, but I feel he's not out of place in the #1.. I'm guessing Bomber will want Moylan back to fullback in 2021 to bring Bubba through as the succession plan?

Don Tweddle

Juniors
He started out slowly in the lower grades before adjusting and building confidence. Was one of the best players in NSW Cup by the end of last year.

chewsta

First Grade
Good player. Very good at skipping across and getting on the outside of his opposite at speed and whilst catching a pass. Can ball play too. Would have a few T.A's now wouldn't he?

Frenzy.

Immortal
I read this on the insta a few hours ago. I got all warm and fuzzy.

Been talking this kid up for a few years and was starting to doubt him and myself earlier on but boy, even with a few adjustments to make he is coming good.

Good for him and good for us

Seems Bomber is getting the band back together

I should have known I wouldn't be wrong.

Frenzy.

Immortal
8 TAs in 9 games. Only SJ, Keary, Benji, turbo are going at a better number of TAs per game.

Yeah, nearly 1 per game. NRL.com have him at only 7 T/As but like I said before I reckon the foxlab is more accurate and they say 8

shadowboxer

First Grade
Great news - he handled the typhoon on Sunday incredibly well. Building well into the season post a few forgettable moments

Latest posts