What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will Lockyer ever focus on Brisbane?

renouf

Juniors
Lockyer has what, 1, maybe 2 seasons left.. and he still won't solely focus on Brisbane?

Great, he feels fit and hes beating 19 year olds around the track, but what is that going to do for us come September 2011? Nothing... he'll be buggered after another hard Origin period.

I wish he would wake up and just forget rep footy and focus on the Broncos.

LeagueInsider

Juniors
Lockyer has what, 1, maybe 2 seasons left.. and he still won't solely focus on Brisbane?

Great, he feels fit and hes beating 19 year olds around the track, but what is that going to do for us come September 2011? Nothing... he'll be buggered after another hard Origin period.

I wish he would wake up and just forget rep footy and focus on the Broncos.

At the risk of trivialising your point, perhaps it is just a case of Lockyer being a realist and knowing the Broncs WON'T be winning the comp in 2011 so he is gonna make hay while the sun is shining and play for QLD and AUST???

I think the Broncs are realistically going to finish at best in that 8th to 5th range yet with the Maroons having 2 of the 3 games in Brissy, why not enjoy the ride? God knows he has earnt the right

renouf

Juniors
At the risk of trivialising your point, perhaps it is just a case of Lockyer being a realist and knowing the Broncs WON'T be winning the comp in 2011 so he is gonna make hay while the sun is shining and play for QLD and AUST???

You have a point, but remember we knocked off the premiers in 2010 at their own game. It was the regular rounds and all, but we still did it, on the back of Lockyer.

LeagueInsider

Juniors
You have a point, but remember we knocked off the premiers in 2010 at their own game. It was the regular rounds and all, but we still did it, on the back of Lockyer.

Don't get me wrong, I totally get what your'e saying but I also would be totally sympathetic to Lockyer if he was taking my point of view and looking for a little more rep glory (which would appear a certainty instead of putting all of his eggs in the Broncos basket which would be a 10-1 bet at best!

Big Pete

Referee
You know, for some reason these rep. games seem to bring the best out of Locky. I mean how often have we seen him start slowly, play a good ANZAC test game and really step his game up?

I used to get upset at this, but really he owes nobody nothing. he is the greatest footy player we will ever see and he can do what he likes and I will support him. GO LOCKY!

gUt

Coach
PWA is wise: Lockyer has earned the right to try to set as many individual records he can.

Broncos93

Juniors
Yeah I agree with PWA, he's given that much to the Broncos already, why can't he finish his career the way he wants to?

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
tbh I am quite selfish and hoped that Lockyer would concentrate on the Broncos... Just for one last season, god knows we cant do it without him, unfortunate as that is.

Especially when QLD have others that could do the job, e.g. Prince and Cronk. Prince was born at the wrong time :p

Talanexor

Juniors
I feel really sorry for Prince. If he'd just been born south of the border, Origin would have been really close and interesting these past 5 years...

A couple of years ago I thought Lockyer looked like a bit of a passenger in Origin, with Thurston and Smith really running the show. But last year he really turned it on, so I'm happy for him to keep playing for QLD and Australia as long as he wants.

hellteam

First Grade
Lockyer was playing really well this year, he just got unlucky and got injured. Nothing wrong with him playing rep footy while he still can

gUt

Coach
I've seen other people call him selfish. I fail to see how you can call a bloke who is on his way to playing 350 games for one club, selfish.

renouf

Juniors
If he didn't play rep footy last year we would have made the finals, even with his injury - that's my point. We dropped games when he was not available due to rep footy. If he focused on the Broncos this year I guarantee we would make the 8, but right now it's a toss of the coin, especially if we get our usual dose of bullsh*t injuries.

_Johnsy

Referee
TBH I think heather has earned & deserves the right to do what he wants (when it comes to his footy career). He is the sole reason that 2010 was the first year brisbane did not make the finals, there would have been a couple others thrown in over the last 5-couple of years. He wins a number of games per year off his individual brilliance alone. (eg 2009 made the finals by 4 points, 2008 by 3 points, 2007 qualified via f/a)

Last edited:

bronco_buddy

Juniors
If he didn't play rep footy last year we would have made the finals, even with his injury - that's my point. We dropped games when he was not available due to rep footy. If he focused on the Broncos this year I guarantee we would make the 8, but right now it's a toss of the coin, especially if we get our usual dose of bullsh*t injuries.

Lack of 'quality' depth in the halves was the reason we didn't make the finals last season

cornerposter

Juniors
Lockyer should at least retire from the National team or lose the captaincy. The Aussie team has a terrible record with him at the helm.

beads6

First Grade
I do wish Lockyer would retire from Rep footy and focus on the Broncos for his last season or 2. At the end of the day it is his call so good on him for backing himself I guess.

Raudonikis

Juniors
doubt he will be picked for aust again,the slippery dip ride will happen this season in club and rep sides.

Steve_oneskie

Juniors
Lockyer will continue to get picked for Australia although i really wish he would give up playing for Australia. Origin on the other hand i want him to play it brings the best form out of him for both Club and State which is only a good thing, i do worry every year that he will get injured.