What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will Pucovski - How far will he go?

TheParraboy

Staff member
This guys is gonna be around a long time, and at the top

How far will he go?I reckon 100+ tests

Love his attitude (highlighted in red) one positive way to beat the mental issue he had before

Seems very focused to succeed

Keep him away from t20 please

311878.jpg

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/...atting-bubble-not-potential-australia-call-up

Pucovski was only told shortly before Victoria's first game this season that he would be opening the batting. It wasn't a position he sought out, but he does not see a vast amount of difference from coming in at first wicket down.

"I wouldn't say I actively wanted to do it, but was happy to do it when the idea was posed to me," he said. "I wasn't that fazed to be honest. It's probably a good thing - you get out there straightaway, so not much time to sit there and watch the game. Just get stuck into it."

Australia's Test squad will be named after this round of Shield matches - the last to be played in the Adelaide hub - is completed. With Queensland's Joe Burns also struggling, there is increasing momentum behind Pucovski partnering David Warner at the top. Even ex-players have started lining up to call for his selection, but he is ignoring all the plaudits being sent his way.

"To be honest, I've deleted every cricket app and most social media off my phone... I haven't really read anything about it, it's something that's completely out of my control so all I can do is present myself every day and hopefully do well."

Even when approaching his latest landmark on Monday morning, his main concern was not getting too carried away, although he did allow himself the acknowledgement of a job well done.

"I had a horrendous photo for my hundred yesterday, so I needed to make sure I wasn't going too nuts to make sure the 200 photo was better," he said. "It's probably just that satisfaction that you've done a lot of hard work in the off-season on a variety of different things. Doing a two-week quarantine now almost seems worth it, especially if we can get a win."

The kid has both a mullet & a moustache, he’s destined for greatness!

Seriously, though. Looks the best young batting talent since Michael Clarke. Had him pegged as a no.3 for Australia, but with the emergence of Labuschagne he’s probably going to have to open. At least in the short term.

With both him & Cameron Green, it’s exciting times!

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
"To be honest, I've deleted every cricket app and most social media off my phone... I haven't really read anything about it, it's something that's completely out of my control so all I can do is present myself every day and hopefully do well."

this tells me he is still struggling with his public image, he may not yet be completely over his mental issues

TheParraboy

Staff member
this tells me he is still struggling with his public image, he may not yet be completely over his mental issues

He is heading in the right direction. But yeah kind of agree

Hence IMO id like us to not include him for the 1st test

Mr Spock!

Referee
This guys is gonna be around a long time, and at the top

How far will he go?I reckon 100+ tests

Love his attitude (highlighted in red) one positive way to beat the mental issue he had before

Seems very focused to succeed

Keep him away from t20 please

311878.jpg

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/...atting-bubble-not-potential-australia-call-up

Pucovski was only told shortly before Victoria's first game this season that he would be opening the batting. It wasn't a position he sought out, but he does not see a vast amount of difference from coming in at first wicket down.

"I wouldn't say I actively wanted to do it, but was happy to do it when the idea was posed to me," he said. "I wasn't that fazed to be honest. It's probably a good thing - you get out there straightaway, so not much time to sit there and watch the game. Just get stuck into it."

Australia's Test squad will be named after this round of Shield matches - the last to be played in the Adelaide hub - is completed. With Queensland's Joe Burns also struggling, there is increasing momentum behind Pucovski partnering David Warner at the top. Even ex-players have started lining up to call for his selection, but he is ignoring all the plaudits being sent his way.

Even when approaching his latest landmark on Monday morning, his main concern was not getting too carried away, although he did allow himself the acknowledgement of a job well done.

"I had a horrendous photo for my hundred yesterday, so I needed to make sure I wasn't going too nuts to make sure the 200 photo was better," he said. "It's probably just that satisfaction that you've done a lot of hard work in the off-season on a variety of different things. Doing a two-week quarantine now almost seems worth it, especially if we can get a win."
Depends if he moves to nsw...

Mr Spock!

Referee

Disagree.

Keeping him in the squad and NOT picking him broke him last season.

He should've played against Sri Lanka in Aust which would've been a great start to international cricket.

Mr Spock!

Referee
Last season Patterson was picked outside the squad ie over Pucovski to maul the Sri Lankan pop gun attack.

Where's he gone?

TheParraboy

Staff member
Disagree.

Keeping him in the squad and NOT picking him broke him last season.

He should've played against Sri Lanka in Aust which would've been a great start to international cricket.

If that sort of stuff breaks him, then all the more reason he shouldn't be picked to play in the first place

He pulled out before the series last summer v Pakistan , even before the 14 man squad was announced,

Kudos to him to try and get his mental health in order

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/wil...ustralia-pakistan-first-test-gabba/2019-11-14

lockyno1

Post Whore

Mate the alternative is a scrub like Burns who would make any bowler look like Pigeon at the moment! Just play Pucovski enough is enough!

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Hohns has already hinted that he will play Burns at opener based on his form from a year ago and despite the fact that his Shield form is not saying pick me, but that's how he thinks.

He has never subscribed to the "pick them while they are in form" selection criteria.

He's a fossil.

JJ

Immortal
Probably as simple as good old Queensland loyalty?

Seems like there's a couple of terrifically talented kids there, why would an out of form Burns stall the debut of someone that by most accounts is the real deal?

Funny that Hohns is still the man tbh

hineyrulz

Post Whore
How the f**k did Hohns worm his way back into the Aussie set up?? He played for Aus over 30 years ago, he was past it when he gave the job away with the first time.

Never liked the merkin.

JJ

Immortal
How the f**k did Hohns worm his way back into the Aussie set up?? He played for Aus over 30 years ago, he was past it when he gave the job away with the first time.

Never liked the merkin.
He was pretty f**king lucky to play for Strays, let alone have the influence he’s had since...

Bazal

Post Whore
People bitch but Burns and Pucovski in the side is infinitely better than having Wade there so hopefully they go that way

Pucovski has great form but a history of mental problems he will need to prove that he has overcome. Burns is out of form but he's got the experience and is pretty unflappable. Harris is shit and so is Sandcroft.

Hohns is a pelican but so is anyone who reckons it's as simple as just form

TheParraboy

Staff member
Hohns has already hinted that he will play Burns at opener based on his form from a year ago and despite the fact that his Shield form is not saying pick me, but that's how he thinks.

He has never subscribed to the "pick them while they are in form" selection criteria.

He's a fossil.

When Mark Waugh was selector

Remember him being interviewed a couple of times regarding an odd selection

He kept going on that it was just a "gut feel" selection

Hohns is a pelican but so is anyone who reckons it's as simple as just form

This

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Langer as a player and coach has always been loyal to incumbents.

Except if its Mat Renshaw.

Or Michael Slater.