What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will the spoon be a catalyst for change?

Mr_Raditch

Juniors
Well congratulations are in order. We've been shit for years but there has always been a couple of teams shitter than us. Not this year, we are officially the worst team in the comp & I'd argue pretty convincingly as well.

So now the $99 question becomes, how long until we can turn it around? I honestly can't see us turning it around in a short amount of time. We are not a club that has just had a bad year & will bounce back.

While I think the bringing back of Sheens, Benji & Robbie will help us gain back our identity, something that has been sadly lacking since we let that bloke Taylor come through the front door. Unfortunately I can't see it being anything except a disaster on the coaching front. I'm crossing everything I have hoping I'll be wrong, but bringing back a 72 year old who hasn't coached at NRL level for a decade doesn't fill me with confidence.

The era of being the entertainers of the league seems long ago, hopefully Tim can get us back there.

What's everyone's thoughts on Hastings? I feel like if we let him go it will be groundhog day & our record of poor recruitment & retention is set to continue for another decade.

Last edited:

Tiger05

First Grade
They have to sign him long term. He must be the 7 long term. He must be the captain.

It sounds like he is the 13 playing as a 7. I don't know what to think about it. He is our best half but I wonder if he is good enough. I think we have 3 halves who each have flaws so the idea is just play all of them and hopefully it will work.

Tigerm

First Grade
We'll congratulations are in order. We've been shit for years but there has always been a couple of teams shitter than us. Not this year, we are officially the worst team in the comp & I'd argue pretty convincingly as well.

So now the $99 question becomes, how long until we can turn it around? I honestly can't see us turning it around in a short amount of time. We are not a club that has just had a bad year & will bounce back.

While I think the bringing back of Sheens, Benji & Robbie will help us gain back our identity, something that ahs been sadly lacking since we let that bloke Taylor come through the front door. Unfortunately I can't see it being anything except a disaster on the coaching front. I'm crossing everything I have hoping I'll be wrong, but bringing back a 72 year old who hasn't coached at NRL level for a decade doesn't fill me with confidence.

The era of being the entertainers of the league seems long ago, hopefully Tim can get us back there.

What's everyone's thoughts on Hastings? I fell like if we let him go it will be groundhog day & our record of poor recruitment & retention is set to continue for another decade.
Keep him at 7 at all costs

Tiger05

First Grade
I feel like we need to get rid of Brooks

The story is that he has been offered a long term contract on reduced dollars.

I don't have a problem with it. He can play. He just isn't great and too many punters think Brooks is meant to win us games regularly. He has just been the target when he shouldn't be.

AD can play as well but the consistency in his game is worse than Brooks.

Front-Rower

First Grade
While I think the bringing back of Sheens, Benji & Robbie will help us gain back our identity, something that has been sadly lacking since we let that bloke Taylor come through the front door.
What identity are these blokes going to bring back? This quote is just another example of these 3 being held in higher esteem by supporters than the club itself.

Tigerm

First Grade
What identity are these blokes going to bring back? This quote is just another example of these 3 being held in higher esteem by supporters than the club itself.
I don’t think the 5yr plan will work, but the club obviously seem to have rated the idea highly?
TBF, they probably had no other choice?

Trollhammaren

Juniors
I just hope we can radically change our recruitment and retention policy. The Madge era signings have been mostly garbage, and not a lot of players with any semblance of footy IQ are in our squad, sans maybe Hastings and Doueihi at a pinch.

I-Pap and Koroisau are elite and that's a great start to turning our fortunes around if they're committed to reaching success.

I just want to see players out there giving it their all, not doing everything in their power to lose unlosable games which has been so common the last few years it's to be expected now.

Give us something to cheer about FFS.

(removed by author - was trying to be humourous but in hindsight I may have overdone it so removed of my own accord. I try to not come into another team's forum to cause drama)

Last edited:

Delboy

First Grade
Just a bit of caution, Ipap is a good player but can be very ordinary in defence, not sure that’s what the Tigers need. Going forward he is strong and a great addition, someone at Tigers will need to work with him in defence, Penisini and Moses do an enormous amount of work around him. Wish him well , not sure the move is good for his career, but pretty good for his bank balance.

Pezz70

Juniors
Just a bit of caution, Ipap is a good player but can be very ordinary in defence, not sure that’s what the Tigers need. Going forward he is strong and a great addition, someone at Tigers will need to work with him in defence, Penisini and Moses do an enormous amount of work around him. Wish him well , not sure the move is good for his career, but pretty good for his bank balance.
Overall his defence is quite good, he had a bit of a shocker against the Storm the other night but they still managed to get the biscuits

Well the first thing that has to change is the ownership / management structure. A lawyer and major sponsor as the chairman is not gonna work. You need someone with business acumen, but also experience (and success) at elite level league, or at the very least elite level sport. You also need to fill out the board with a mix of different people that bring business and professional sports success to the table. What we have at the moment is mostly people from the leagues club who know how to run a very successful pokies palace, but nothing about how to build or maintain a winning team. The CEO needs to go immediately.

From a playing perspective I think we'll go better next year. Not much better though, and this depends heavily on Hastings being signed longer term, playing 7, and being made captain. Api should be good and I think he will be great for the younger guys coming through. I'd punt Tamou. I'd also stop offering up anything more than a 2 year contract for anyone we currently have in the squad, aside from Hastings.

Coaching is anyones guess. I have a feeling it'll either be wildly successful or a train wreck. I can't see there being any middle ground.

Tiger05

First Grade
I'm going to have a little honesty session with all of you. We are shit and you don't have the solutions to fix whatever is wrong unless your solution is a lot of new players.

The board and the CEO might be completely incompetent but they aren't the ones out there on the field. They aren't to blame unless they are deliberately screwing us over and I don't think they are doing that. These guys could be completely incompetent but they've give Shines the keys and they gave Madge the keys prior to him.

We need a new coach and a bunch of new players because those guys as a group simply aren't up to it. It's hard to even know which players to punt atm because we don't give ourselves a chance and there may be players there that might actually be able to perform in a better team.

Lastly Brooks isn't the issue. Nofo isn't the issue either.

Tiger05

First Grade
On field, Brooks is most certainly the issue. The one thing Hastings bought was game management, which is something our halfback hasn’t got.

The team knew their roles with Jacko on the field. Without him, they run around like chooks with their heads cut off.

Hastings is better than Brooks. No doubt in my mind at all.

This season has proven the idea that if we get rid of Brooks all will be good is BS.

Vic Mackey

Referee

Are you the guy who when we signed Stefano came in said he was ‘an over rated plodder who belongs on the bench in nsw cup’ ?

Latest posts