What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

will the titans snare Lote

Redback71

First Grade
on the news they just said with the unexpected departure of Carney and Turner they are now cashed up and ready to move on a new signing and are going to meet with lote's manager in the next few weeks.

BourbonRat

Juniors
Redback71 said:
on the news they just said with the unexpected departure of Carney and Turner they are now cashed up and ready to move on a new signing and are going to meet with lote's manager in the next few weeks.
What a surprise :roll:

Funny how this star line up of Titanic signings never makes a dent in the Surly ones very flexible Salary cap

_Johnsy

Referee
I think any club who signs lote at this late stage will be playing silly bugger accountants with the salary cap.

Qld-Sharkie

Juniors
Brisbane or Titans are the only clubs Lote will be interested in.
How many internationals can you fit under one salary cap???
Surely the Titans cant afford another one......?!?!?

miccle

Bench
Qld-Sharkie said:
Brisbane or Titans are the only clubs Lote will be interested in.
How many internationals can you fit under one salary cap???
Surely the Titans cant afford another one......?!?!?

The Broncos have more internationals under their cap than the Titans...

Redback71

First Grade
dont forget the titans have lost carney and turner and ther isnt that many players on the roster who would command a huge sum

DeeGan

Bench
BourbonRat said:
What a surprise :roll:

Funny how this star line up of Titanic signings never makes a dent in the Surly ones very flexible Salary cap

Why surprised? Compare our top 25 to a Brisbane, a Canterbury, a Melbourne, a Sydney Roosters ... stupid post.

I am sure you're privy to where we as a club are at with the cap for the 2008 season and will be able to prove how our signings "never make a dent in our flexible salary cap".

What is it you are insinuating here?

Shorty

Staff member
You're not getting Lote,he'll go to the Broncos he's not going to go to the Coast when he can play for Brisbane.

DeeGan

Bench
Cowgirl86 said:
You're not getting Lote,he'll go to the Broncos he's not going to go to the Coast when he can play for Brisbane.

The Gold Coast Titans are in with every chance to sign Lote - I would hazard a guess we can offer Lote more money that Brisbane given the playing roster they are having to keep.

In the end, who knows ...

The Queensland Reds are in with every chance as well given the offer from the ARU in excess of $1,000,000.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Look guys, these salary cap slurs have to stop. Unless you can back up your claims with facts, then you are best keeping a lid on it.

As has been pointed out, other clubs have internationals as well, more than the Titans. So please keep it in perspective.

Shorty

Staff member
Well...if Lote goes back to league it's a big pay cut regardless so I don't think it's going to matter if Gold Coast gives him a little more.
He used to play for the Broncos,all his old mates are there it's not like with Mat who wants a fresh start.

McCrud

Juniors
Very difficult to see where Lote will end up in '08.

Cowgirl does make a good point in the sense that he will taking a pay cut no matter what RL club he ends up at - so it's natural to assume he'll go to where his 'loyalty' lies. Why would he take a little extra money and deal with the ramifications (personal and professional) of opposing the Broncos when he could play for them - or not play in the NRL altogether for more money.

But if money is such an issue (as it appears to be) for Lote the QLD Reds or Waratahs are the only players in the discussion. I just get the feeling he'll go to the Reds, the money is too good to pass up - and Lote sounds like he is leaning towards a return to QLD.

Knowing my luck he'll sign on for the Titans - will certainly spice up the '08 derby even more then before!

Shorty

Staff member
If he is thinking about the Titans,it will depend heavily on their season,poor old Titans have a lot to prove!

DeeGan

Bench
Cowgirl86 said:
If he is thinking about the Titans,it will depend heavily on their season,poor old Titans have a lot to prove!

Not really.

Lote Tuqiri will be sold a "difference maker" on and off the field by his manager.

Lote heading to a club that boasts the games best player (Darren Lockyer) with several Origin and International players doesn't allow him the "elbow room"he would be afforded at a new club like the Gold Coast Titans ;-)

Ideally, I would love to have him at my club though I think rugby league is a big chance to lose out altogether given the money on offer by the ARU and QLD Reds.

McCrud

Juniors
DeeGan said:
Not really.

Lote Tuqiri will be sold a "difference maker" on and off the field by his manager.

Lote heading to a club that boasts the games best player (Darren Lockyer) with several Origin and International players doesn't allow him the "elbow room"he would be afforded at a new club like the Gold Coast Titans ;-)

Ideally, I would love to have him at my club though I think rugby league is a big chance to lose out altogether given the money on offer by the ARU and QLD Reds.

It was reported in the media that one of the reasons that Lote failed to return to QLD and play for the Reds after a stint at the Waratahs was because of the poor on-field and off-field achievements of the Reds.

So it's not out of the question that the Titans recent troubles, combined with a poor start to the season could impact upon Lote's decision - if he is genuinely interested in moving to the Titans.

DeeGan

Bench
Le KooK said:
It was reported in the media that one of the reasons that Lote failed to return to QLD and play for the Reds after a stint at the Waratahs was because of the poor on-field and off-field achievements of the Reds.

So it's not out of the question that the Titans recent troubles, combined with a poor start to the season could impact upon Lote's decision - if he is genuinely interested in moving to the Titans.

I don't think I am suggesting anything barring one fact- a move back to the league does not mean a one team race with his former Brisbane club. Souths, Sydney and the Gold Coast with Brisbane will all make a move to secure his services.

McCrud

Juniors
DeeGan said:
I don't think I am suggesting anything barring one fact- a move back to the league does not mean a one team race with his former Brisbane club. Souths, Sydney and the Gold Coast with Brisbane will all make a move to secure his services.

Lucky for the Broncos - we can't 'break the bank' attempting to sign him.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
And nor can any other club.

The Broncos are not special in that regard.

McCrud

Juniors
Willow said:
And nor can any other club.

The Broncos are not special in that regard.

It's obvious the Broncos have less room in the salary cap as compared to other teams attempting to sign Lote.

That's good, because there would be nothing worse then the Broncos splashing out a lot of their free salary cap space buying the 'loyalty' of Lote.