Will Trent Barrett Coach Again?

Discussion in 'NRL' started by Fufu Andronez, Oct 24, 2018.

?

Will Trent Barrett be a head coach in the NRL again?

1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    43.8%
  2. No

9 vote(s)
    56.3%
  1. Fufu Andronez

Fufu Andronez First Grade

Does anyone reckon that Barrett will get another head coaching gig or is he tarnished by everything that has happened under his watch at Manly, like the Jackson Hastings drama and the shit results?

I ask because only a few years ago he was the "next big thing" in coaching and its been reported that he resigned (quit) so that he could save his coaching career and "live to fight another day" so to speak.

I could see him making a comeback through coaching Origin or the super league, but thats about it

2. Timmah

Timmah LeagueUnlimited News Editor Staff Member

If the merry-go-round does what it's said to do, one wonders if Maguire quits the NZ job and Barrett may then apply for it.

3. TheDalek079

TheDalek079 Bench

inaugural coach of the West Coast Pirates

lol jks. Perth aint getting a team

4. mozza91

mozza91 First Grade

Don’t know. He should give Scott Penn the PJ Marsh treatment. Christ that bloke is a smug prick.

5. LineBall

LineBall Juniors

I don't rate him as a coach, but Manly have a lot of off field issues which are beyond his control. I'm more confused as to why they think Des will be their savior.

6. firechild

firechild First Grade

Did you see where Manly were before Des came in the first time? The problem isn't with the roster, they have plenty of talent. Des may not be delivering a premiership in a year or 2 but he won't have them finishing 15th.

On Barrett, I really hope so. At least second time around I'll be able to sit back and laugh as another club crumbles.

Dodgy and Briza like this.
  7. Saint Doc

Saint Doc Coach

Barrett has played this terribly.

He wanted to leave, but also wanted to force the club to pay him out. They have called his bluff.

If he had just quit, he probably would have picked up an assistant coaching gig at the worst, and reputation somewhat intact.

Now he keeps his salary but will be seen as a trouble maker. His reputation has taken a hit, especially if Des gets them flying again.

Tried to outsmart them and got played.

Briza likes this.
  8. Mr Angry

Mr Angry Not a Referee

Penrith

9. Canard

Canard Referee

"Surely Des Hasler will never coach in the NRL again" - Warren Smith on Fox Sports, mere weeks ago.

10. LineBall

LineBall Juniors

So if Manly don't make the 8 in the next two years - would you consider that a poor return for the squad you guys have? I think they have a decent team too.

11. Haffa

Haffa Guest

I’d like to see him coach Manly next year with Des. Perhaps they could hire Toovey as well and make it a three headed monster.

Dodgy likes this.
  12. Timmah

Barrett might've played it terribly but Manly got lucky that Des was a free agent and wanted to coach again (and presumably is willing to be paid unders compared to what we had him on).

In that sense Barrett's a bit unlucky. Either way Manly will want to hope Des can lead them to a premiership or two because otherwise they're in a world of hurt.

Saint Doc likes this.
  13. The Charlatan

The Charlatan Coach

Yeah, but even with the alleged coaching merry go round involving Wests, Penrith, Souths and Broncos, has Barrett even been considered in the mix? Cleary will wind up at Penrith, and it's likely Madge will come to Wests as Seibold and Bennett will swap places.

He never really had anywhere to go to begin with I don't believe, unless Madge tells the Tigers to get f**ked (which would be our luck,) and we wind up with yet another failure at the helm. That would likely be the only outcome for him, unless he's hedging his bets on a coach getting the axe early next year.

14. Timmah

As I said - the merry-go-round could leave the Kiwis job open if Maguire kicks it - that could leave it open for Barrett (if NZ want to go there obviously)

15. The Charlatan

The Charlatan Coach

And if he even wants the job. Would guess that he'd want another NRL role.

16. Saint Doc

Saint Doc Coach

I highly doubt NZ would go for Barrett TBH. It just doesn’t feel like a good fit

Diesel and Timmah like this.
  17. Lambretta

Lambretta First Grade

I can envisage him driving a coach

Dodgy, Starkers and Timmah like this.
  18. Whino

Whino Juniors

He will coach again. I never thought Elliott would get another gig after Penrith but the Warriors were gullible to believe his crap and gave him a shot.
    There will be a stupid club that will give him a go.

Dodgy likes this.
  19. Hawkins

Hawkins Juniors

What do you mean again. He is still the coach until July 2019.

Those lottloland dickheads have two coaches at the moment cause they hired Des before dumping Trent.

Timmah likes this.
  20. Dogs Of War

Dogs Of War Coach

Once Manly pay him out (as they should), he will probably be an assistant somewhere again for a year or two before another opportunity comes up (depending on how he goes with that club).