What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will V'landys?

Perth Red

Post Whore
No you do the right thing and only count official financial documents like statements and annual budgets. You see at the end of each year Clubs put out financial statement and their is a auditor who signs off on it, like Ernest and Young or some other Australian /and International recogised auditing group. So you only 'count' the statements which are publicly available. Russel Crowes earning we don't know and he is NOT listed in the Souths financial statement. But you that anyway. I won't reply on this subject as it has been proven the NRL is 'richer' than the afl. I will reply if you show some excellent proof proving otherwise and NOT useless reclassification of revenue and assets and such like.

you were the one who brought up consolidated parent group revenue rather than football club revenue lol. League clubs are not nrl clubs. They are an owning parent group, in the same way russel Crowe is an owning parent group of Souths and Forrest is of Force. Stop changing the goalposts because you don’t like the results lol.

Too true Perth Red.

I’m not turning V’landys into a saint, I’m pointing out that Roberts at Cricket Australia has made a serious hash of similar issues, that V’landys has managed well. Cricket Australia and cricket in general in this country is now a basket case. Losing to India and junior participation numbers are shrinking in cricket all the time.

The implications for this are huge, moving forward. After submitting this piece, I read a clip for a newspaper article that suggested CA wanted to drop 2 Shield rounds and games in the WBBL presumably as cost saving measures. He’s created a divide in his relations with the State Associations, where NSW has refused to accept the 25% cuts and the Players Association don’t accept the numbers he and the Board are giving them.

In other words, Cricket Australia managed to get offisde his workers, the States and the players through poor leadership, at a time when strong uniting leadership is required.

V Landys has at least kept the status quo. Rugby League will never be the super pretty game, it is the battlers game and thats why we love it.

Let the prissy nancyboys play AFL and rugby union.

We TOUGH blokes will continue to LOVE our League.

colly

Juniors
you were the one who brought up consolidated parent group revenue rather than football club revenue lol. League clubs are not nrl clubs. They are an owning parent group, in the same way russel Crowe is an owning parent group of Souths and Forrest is of Force. Stop changing the goalposts because you don’t like the results lol.

previously I said.
I will reply if you show some excellent proof proving otherwise and NOT useless reclassification of revenue and assets and such like.

Finally to the supporters of all NRL clubs- the leagues club you have a beer and lunch in - according to perth red- has NO- financial support to the 'team'. OK
NB
It was YOU that mentioned Russell Crowe first, since your in the know, how much does he earn and put into Souths? waiting... Or maybe you shouldn't have mentioned it like on Sunday 28 Feb 3.50pm
"looking at non football club revenue by owner groups. Should we count Russell crowes Hollywood earningS as well as part of Souths revenue?'
and thinking over your sentence ( above) how are Leagues Clubs non football club revenue- most of AFL clubs ( that do make money-not as many as you think) are made up of the same sources , property rents pokies, sale of entertainment/food and drinks and numerous other revenue income streams.

IT"S JUST NRL CLUBS ARE BIGGER, RICHER (revenue) WEALTHIER (assets) than the afl.
You cant stand that.

Perth Red

Post Whore
They’re you go making sht up again, no where have I said LC’s dont “sometimes” chip in to cover nrl club losses. In same way private owners do for their clubs, hell Forrest set up an entire international Comp just so his club had someone to play! either you count a football clubs value and wealth consolidated (ie the ownership group as well) or on its football business generated revenue. It’s disingenuous to say knights are worth squillions as west’s league clubs brings in $275million mostly from pokies and then say force are not part of a group that last year brought in $1.6billion mostly from mining. Compare apples with apples.

on football operations generated revenue afl psses all over nrl clubs. On gambling generated revenue nrl parent group league clubs earn more. Hmmmm.

Despite his protestations that " it`s all in good fun " i.e. his digs at the afl , " plenty of room for a second rate event in Sydney ". V`Landy`s is extremely competitive, likes to win and importantly has a strategically ruthless edge which League has been missing for a long time.

Haven't you heard V Landys story, raised in the `Gong (mining and steelworks heartland) son of "***" parents, His words not mine, found acceptance at school playing League, dreamt of playing second row for Australia, went to university and worked at a local pub and the story goes that he bought it , somehow got involved with the Racing Industry where He rose to the top, If you knew anything about the N.S.W. Racing Industry it produces some of Australia`s most "colourful characters", try googling `George Freeman Racing` , he was my fathers first cousin, and the thing that caps it off Peter V`landys favourite player is Rod `The Rocket` Reddy. I don`t think he will be going to any other codes in a hurry.

The Parramatta Eels became the first club in history to unveil a Domestic Violence Action Plan in 2015. That was V Landys doing so he is ahead of the game in off field issues as well as on field issues. Each game of State of Origin this year has featured an advertisement from the NRL's 'Voice Against Violence' campaign which is an anti-violence program created to educate and create conversations with men in the Rugby League family on domestic violence and the impact it has on our society. And that's just the tip of the iceberg…

As a sport, rugby league is not perfect, but through V Landys guidance, it's encouraging to see the sport recognising the power it has to drive and influence change in the community.

The fact that the media is so onboard with V Landys is concerning in my opinion.

I think the position of ARLC Chairman is overblown and exaggerated. They are not responsible for the day to day running - that responsibility with the NRL CEO. Much like the Board of Directors of a company do not run it, but have a CEO run it and report to them.

The main responsibilities of the ARLC is to have a clear direction for the CEO to work towards. It's hard to argue that the NRL Strategy 2018-2022 has not progressed in it's implementation (though it never specifically detailed the targets in the public document). One criticism could be that the strategy didn't really aim at anything too significant.

TheRam

Coach
Don't believe anything AwFuL HQ says. They're full of shit. When they talk about participation they include Auskick. The amount of registered fumbleballers in Queensland is about 20k. QRL has around 65k registered players.

I wouldn't be surprised if AwFuL officials went down to Cleveland Point and counted the amount seagulls fighting over a chip as participants.

How many participants does RL have in VIC / SA / WA / TAS / NT compared to AFL?

But here's the paradox. While Aussie Rules had the wider reach, rugby league was the more tolerant code, including Indigenous Australians from the start. There has been no equivalent scandals in rugby league to the booing of Sydney Swans player Adam Goodes that reached its apotheosis in 2015.

The absence of overt racism from the stands is a surprising legacy of rugby league's foundation at the time of the White Australia Policy. National Rugby League commissioner Professor Megan Davis explains that the largest urban populations of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people today live in rugby league territory. And in the working-class and underclass regions of western Sydney and south-east Queensland, "rugby league's core fan base live alongside the mob". Unlike football in Victoria, rugby league has an unbroken link to the Aboriginal people of NSW and Queensland because the game became an immediate tool of inclusion for the men who were forced into racially segregated missions and reserves at Federation.

"This is often how Aboriginal men were able to leave the reserves and missions: with permission to play in local rugby league games, alongside white Australians," says Davis, a law professor and pro vice-chancellor Indigenous at the University of NSW. "Rugby league played an emancipatory role for many men during the brutal era of Australia's own apartheid, and it facilitated a fellowship between many Indigenous and non-Indigenous rugby league players."

Another factor is the example of generations of Aboriginal players who represented Australia in rugby league. Arthur Beetson was captain of the national team, the Kangaroos, in the 1970s, at a time when only a handful of Aboriginal people played Aussie Rules. She notes that in 2015, the year Goodes was driven out of AFL, rugby league had a counter-story of unity between black and white Australia, in the example of the North Queensland Cowboys.

The club's territory covers the sites of some of the most brutal frontier wars between the locals and settlers, and simultaneously has "the richest native-title footprint in the nation". The Cowboys captain, Johnathan Thurston, a proud Aboriginal man, is regarded as one of the greatest players in the game's history. On grand final day, he won the game for his team with a thrilling field goal kicked in extra time. Davis says the photo of him after the game, "exhausted, with his daughter Frankie and her black Aboriginal doll", is destined to be remembered as one of rugby league's iconic images.

colly

Juniors
They’re you go making sht up again, no where have I said LC’s dont “sometimes” chip in to cover nrl club losses. In same way private owners do for their clubs, hell Forrest set up an entire international Comp just so his club had someone to play! either you count a football clubs value and wealth consolidated (ie the ownership group as well) or on its football business generated revenue. It’s disingenuous to say knights are worth squillions as west’s league clubs brings in $275million mostly from pokies and then say force are not part of a group that last year brought in $1.6billion mostly from mining. Compare apples with apples.

on football operations generated revenue afl psses all over nrl clubs. On gambling generated revenue nrl parent group league clubs earn more. Hmmmm.

you mention Andrew Forrest- Never heard of the f**ker.
Your all over the shop- no use debating.

I will give you an insight into Peter V`landy`s mentality. As head of Racing N.S.W. he has introduced the Everest Cup. The Everest is not only Australias` richest race, but the richest turf race in the world . Six million dollar first prize for a 1 minute 10 second race. Peter V`landy`s thinks big. I think that he will ultimately have a plan that will harness the code on both sides of the equator. Some sort of super package that will market both Leagues (Super &N.R.L.), World Club Championships , World Cups and Internationals to prospective Broadcast Partners. If you blokes can get this Canada, France and U.S. thing working there could be a lot to work with.

NRL facing 'catastrophic' virus outcome

AFL columnist Caroline Wilson delivered a scathing takedown of Australian Rugby League Commission chief Peter V'landys' response to the current coronavirus outbreak affecting the NRL.

V'landys admitted yesterday the NRL can only survive for so long, with the current pandemic putting rugby league into panic mode as they grapple to come up with alternatives moving forward.

But the ARLC chairman in his press conference made a public plea to the government for financial assistance.

"Our money will only last so long and once its extinguished we are in big trouble," V'landys said in a press conference yesterday.

"An Australia without rugby league is not Australia. The government has to assist us in this crisis because it is not of our own doing."

Speaking on Nine's Footy Classified, Wilson slammed the chairman for asking the government for assistance.

Wilson described V'landys' plea as "scare mongering," declaring Australia and the rest of the world has more important things to worry about than playing rugby league.

How many participants does RL have in VIC / SA / WA / TAS / NT compared to AFL?
Not many, because our game has neglected those areas. It would be nice if the ARLC put some money aside to field teams from Adelaide, Melbourne, Perth and NT in the Queensland Cup and age restricted competitions. Turning the Queensland Cup into a national second tier could help build the game around the country. Merge it with NSW Cup and make it a 24 team competition, split between 2 conferences.

But here's the paradox. While Aussie Rules had the wider reach, rugby league was the more tolerant code, including Indigenous Australians from the start. There has been no equivalent scandals in rugby league to the booing of Sydney Swans player Adam Goodes that reached its apotheosis in 2015.

The absence of overt racism from the stands is a surprising legacy of rugby league's foundation at the time of the White Australia Policy. National Rugby League commissioner Professor Megan Davis explains that the largest urban populations of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people today live in rugby league territory. And in the working-class and underclass regions of western Sydney and south-east Queensland, "rugby league's core fan base live alongside the mob". Unlike football in Victoria, rugby league has an unbroken link to the Aboriginal people of NSW and Queensland because the game became an immediate tool of inclusion for the men who were forced into racially segregated missions and reserves at Federation.

"This is often how Aboriginal men were able to leave the reserves and missions: with permission to play in local rugby league games, alongside white Australians," says Davis, a law professor and pro vice-chancellor Indigenous at the University of NSW. "Rugby league played an emancipatory role for many men during the brutal era of Australia's own apartheid, and it facilitated a fellowship between many Indigenous and non-Indigenous rugby league players."

Another factor is the example of generations of Aboriginal players who represented Australia in rugby league. Arthur Beetson was captain of the national team, the Kangaroos, in the 1970s, at a time when only a handful of Aboriginal people played Aussie Rules. She notes that in 2015, the year Goodes was driven out of AFL, rugby league had a counter-story of unity between black and white Australia, in the example of the North Queensland Cowboys.

The club's territory covers the sites of some of the most brutal frontier wars between the locals and settlers, and simultaneously has "the richest native-title footprint in the nation". The Cowboys captain, Johnathan Thurston, a proud Aboriginal man, is regarded as one of the greatest players in the game's history. On grand final day, he won the game for his team with a thrilling field goal kicked in extra time. Davis says the photo of him after the game, "exhausted, with his daughter Frankie and her black Aboriginal doll", is destined to be remembered as one of rugby league's iconic images.
The 2015 GF was the first time that the captains of both teams were Aboriginal. Johnathon Thurston and Justin Hodges.

Perth Red

Post Whore
you mention Andrew Forrest- Never heard of the f**ker.
Your all over the shop- no use debating.

you’ve never heard of Australia’s richest man? Do you live under a rock? By your criteria of measuring a clubs wealth by revenue of their ownership group he is the owner of the richest professional sports club in the country lol.

colly

Juniors
you’ve never heard of Australia’s richest man? Do you live under a rock? By your criteria of measuring a clubs wealth by revenue of their ownership group he is the owner of the richest professional sports club in the country lol.
Lighten up, it's a saying- (insert name ) never heard of the f**ker. sarc/
That I have to explain this to you, Mr Red is a worry.
As for Roy, rest assured I do know who Andrew is, but I must say i find a disturbance in the force in you, but it seems you mean well, coming from big footy and all- quoting that Hag Caroline from a story it looks was written last year, just made me think if 'old' Becky was still with us, a mud wrestle between Becky and Caz with no hold bars, winner take all, would a contest i would gladly watch. That You don't proberly know what i mean, due to you late membership proberly means you would be very young and computer literate, so do some research on Becky and see if you can come up with a computer simulated fight between the two worthy women fighters.

Last edited:
If I want to watch women wrestling I can watch a nice game of women's rugby. Caroline Wilson is not a fighter, she is a snipper like Peter Fitzsimmons. Becky would beat her brains in if she could find Caroline Wilson but like most of these WOKE keyboard warriors, Caroline Wilson would put out some article that Becky was some how impure in the Woke World and Becky would be cancelled just like Gina Carano was cancelled from the Mandalorian and .If you don't know the back story there, you need to make yourself aware if it because THAT is the terrible world we live in today. A world obsessed with CANCELL CULTURE!!!

Gina Carano is canceled by the Dark Side of double standards (nypost.com)

And people who are "playing the victim" is the new Super Sport.

Through lockdown, money spent on gambling has boomed.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

It is a total growth industry.

Sport has only become an excuse for people to gamble. And if Murdoch is forking out money to the game for tv rights and then spending money on gambling. Well, you can see 1 plus 1 equals a potato.

V Landys and Murdoch will be hand in glove

Latest posts