What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will V'landys?

What we are talking about are two separate types of gambling. Murdoch's new fantasy gambling will be relatively new to Australia although it is the No 1 type of gambling in the USA

Murdoch will target the Fantasy sports betting market where you nominate a team based on a salary cap and compete against others who have nominated a team under the same salary cap conditions which is currently huge in the USA. You can already participate in these in Australia on sites like Moneyball but Murdoch will highlight this form of gambling in ads during his AFL and NRL channels and that will become a huge part of the market. Tab Corp and whoever buys it will continue to be huge in the traditional markets in Australia which is mainly horse racing.

colly

Juniors

Your SHM source above has Murdock ( shock horror) buying publishing interest- From one of the biggest publisher's on the planet- that he buy 'racenet' magizine -Knock me over, I have to sit down down-the sheer audacity of that man.

The crickey story (above) has Ken Callander ( thank-you Ken Callander, from Roy and HG ) quitting in 'disgust because NSW racing has TOO MUCH POWER. Knock me down again, we have the head of NSW racing as our chairman , and get this, according to crikey story, he has too much power. So it's NSW racing and NRL have it over the Sydney Telegraph. Once again i'm shocked i say.

I do have standards - 'the guardian' story won't be even looked at.

Last week V Landys and Racing NSW announced prizemoney increases of $20 million annually.

With this came the introduction of a new $100,000 Midway Race exclusively for horses from small to mid-sized NSW metropolitan and provincial stables, one that will be added to metropolitan Saturday race meetings.

So from July 1, this Midway race will add a tenth race to Saturday metropolitan meetings.

While the concept of a rich race for smaller and mid-sized NSW stables and increased prizemoney, particularly for country races, is a positive, it’s hard not to think that this is just another win for owners, trainers and breeders at the expense of the punting public.

Racing NSW chief executive Peter V’landys, by his own admission, credited punters as being largely responsible for funding the $20m hike in prizemoney, yet they’ll be left to bet on tired, biased tracks, in high percentage markets, while paying huge tax.

For many punters, it’s not a case of if there will be a tipping point, it’s simply a question of when."Can 12 months of wagering data during a once in a 100 year pandemic really be used as a baseline for the future? "
TOM HAYLOCK, THE TRIAL FILES
Can 12 months of wagering data during a once in a 100 year pandemic really be used as a baseline for the future?

Unlike almost every other sporting code, Australian horse racing flourished over the past year.

Racing in Australia, to the credit of all participants and stakeholders, thrived and continued - with the exception of a few days - largely unaffected.

With this, wagering figures on horse racing soared in 2020, defying the downward trends of years past.

To base a $20 million injection into the pockets of owners, trainers and breeders, on these inflated figures seems questionable at best.

Sports wagering had been the biggest source of competition to racing in recent years, however that was brought to an abrupt halt by COVID-19.

With millions of people forced into lockdown and sporting codes around the world called-off, Australian horse racing was the one constant - and the big winner.

If your favourite bakery kept raising their price year in, year out, no matter how good their pies are at some point in time you will make the call and go next door - and what if their prices were rising yet the quality was slowly deteriorating.

Without doubt, this tenth race on a Saturday metropolitan program will have higher turnover than if it were held midweek or on a Friday night - wagering figures would show this.

Message to Peter V Landys from Joe "The Mug" Punter.

Hey Peter,

Take your head out of your backside and spend some money on the very ordinary race course tracks in Sydney and NSW rather than on prize money.!!

Wet track after wet track, race meetings abandoned or postponed, and significant track bias at every meeting - week in, week out.

Surely some of this money would be better served getting the product right?

And regardless of the success of the measures taken, it's hard not to feel like punters have once again been forgotten about ...

Last edited:

colly

Juniors
Last week V Landys and Racing NSW announced prizemoney increases of $20 million annually.

With this came the introduction of a new $100,000 Midway Race exclusively for horses from small to mid-sized NSW metropolitan and provincial stables, one that will be added to metropolitan Saturday race meetings.

So from July 1, this Midway race will add a tenth race to Saturday metropolitan meetings.

While the concept of a rich race for smaller and mid-sized NSW stables and increased prizemoney, particularly for country races, is a positive, it’s hard not to think that this is just another win for owners, trainers and breeders at the expense of the punting public.

Racing NSW chief executive Peter V’landys, by his own admission, credited punters as being largely responsible for funding the $20m hike in prizemoney, yet they’ll be left to bet on tired, biased tracks, in high percentage markets, while paying huge tax.

For many punters, it’s not a case of if there will be a tipping point, it’s simply a question of when."Can 12 months of wagering data during a once in a 100 year pandemic really be used as a baseline for the future? "
TOM HAYLOCK, THE TRIAL FILES
Can 12 months of wagering data during a once in a 100 year pandemic really be used as a baseline for the future?

Unlike almost every other sporting code, Australian horse racing flourished over the past year.

Racing in Australia, to the credit of all participants and stakeholders, thrived and continued - with the exception of a few days - largely unaffected.

With this, wagering figures on horse racing soared in 2020, defying the downward trends of years past.

To base a $20 million injection into the pockets of owners, trainers and breeders, on these inflated figures seems questionable at best.

Sports wagering had been the biggest source of competition to racing in recent years, however that was brought to an abrupt halt by COVID-19.

With millions of people forced into lockdown and sporting codes around the world called-off, Australian horse racing was the one constant - and the big winner.

If your favourite bakery kept raising their price year in, year out, no matter how good their pies are at some point in time you will make the call and go next door - and what if their prices were rising yet the quality was slowly deteriorating.

Without doubt, this tenth race on a Saturday metropolitan program will have higher turnover than if it were held midweek or on a Friday night - wagering figures would show this.

Hey Peter,

Take your head out of your backside and spend some money on the very ordinary race course tracks in Sydney and NSW rather than on prize money.!!

Wet track after wet track, race meetings abandoned or postponed, and significant track bias at every meeting - week in, week out.

And regardless of the success of the measures taken, it's hard not to feel like punters have once again been forgotten about ...
What a rant- taking issue on horse race prizemoney has a gig on LU. Hey Roy give it a shot, you too could be head of racing and have 1000 races daily with $1000 dollar prize-money. They be 'jumping' every minute- so a punter has a beef with the head of racing- tell me it's not true!

colly

Juniors
V Landys is even buying a school to indoctrinate young people into the world according to Peter V Landys

And he will get it too. V Landys is in bed with the government, he is in bed with Murdoch and runs RL and Racing.

Now he will have a school to brainwash people into how good he is.

Seriously, do we live in North Korea????

Racing NSW bids to buy TAFE site (smh.com.au)

Roy it seems Vlandy been living in your head free of charge. You don't, how do i say this nicely, have a lot of room to spare and your got to keep some for the upcoming season. Remember follow Doctors orders, when Vlandy attack happens, deep breathes , it will pass. When you thinking that your living in North Korea, step back, and say AUSTRALIA. I live in AUSTRALIA. Hope it helps.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Your SHM source above has Murdock ( shock horror) buying publishing interest- From one of the biggest publisher's on the planet- that he buy 'racenet' magizine -Knock me over, I have to sit down down-the sheer audacity of that man.

The crickey story (above) has Ken Callander ( thank-you Ken Callander, from Roy and HG ) quitting in 'disgust because NSW racing has TOO MUCH POWER. Knock me down again, we have the head of NSW racing as our chairman , and get this, according to crikey story, he has too much power. So it's NSW racing and NRL have it over the Sydney Telegraph. Once again i'm shocked i say.

I do have standards - 'the guardian' story won't be even looked at.

if you want to bury your head in the sand that’s up to you, there is very clear and significant links between racing nsw and Murdoch going back many years and worth an absolute shed load of cash. But believe what you want to, it seems the way in the modern era, don’t let little things like facts influence you!

Roy it seems Vlandy been living in your head free of charge. You don't, how do i say this nicely, have a lot of room to spare and your got to keep some for the upcoming season. Remember follow Doctors orders, when Vlandy attack happens, deep breathes , it will pass. When you thinking that your living in North Korea, step back, and say AUSTRALIA. I live in AUSTRALIA. Hope it helps.

Look closely Colly, Australia is becoming more and more and more like North Korea every day as all our fre4edoms are taken from us.

MugaB

Coach
‘We won’t promote mediocrity’: NRL pushing ahead with expansion despite great divide
Adrian Proszenko
April 3, 2021 — 6.56pm
The NRL is pushing ahead with its expansion plans despite a growing number of teams struggling to remain competitive, with ARL Commission chairman Peter V’landys declaring: “You don’t introduce measures that are going to promote mediocrity.”

The gulf between the strongest and the weakest clubs has already become apparent, even before the fourth round of the season is complete. Winless Canterbury haven’t scored a point in three matches, yet they still sit above Manly on the ladder on for-and-against.

The bottom five teams have notched just two wins between them from their first 19 games and just six of the first 28 matches have been won by a converted try or less as blowouts become the norm in the opening month of the season. The new rules, introduced to speed up the game, have been seen as one of the key reasons for exacerbating the gulf in class.

However, V’landys believes the games for the most part are “entertaining” and said he won’t be legislating to keep weaker sides in contests.

“The measures have got to promote open and entertaining games, not to give bad teams a chance,” V’landys said.

“The clubs are going to have to get their rosters right to compete. A percentage of it might be due to the new rules, but I don’t think that’s the whole of it. It’s not that there are new rules and all of a sudden you can’t tackle.

“You don’t introduce measures that are going to promote mediocrity.

“It’s up to the clubs to look at their rosters and their systems. Why can Melbourne be so successful? Why can the Roosters and Souths be so successful?

“You can use that as a model. They all have the same money, so they have to look at how they spend their money.

“Why is Penrith so successful? Because they look after participation.

“They get rewarded for being proactive. I take my hat off to Penrith because they are a club that everyone should look at. Look at how much they spend on junior development, how much they spend on junior participation. Look at the initiative to go into country areas and start up their academies.

“Rather than talking about lopsided games, let’s look at the teams that are models to be looked at for success.

“I’ll stress that we will never introduce measures to hide mediocrity.”

Some critics argue that there aren’t enough quality players to be spread evenly across the existing clubs, let alone one or two additional ones. However, expansion remains on the NRL’s agenda, with a final decision on the matter to be handed down in July.

V’landys said score blowouts and a growing divide between the teams at the top and those that are struggling won’t result in the expansion debate being shelved.

“No, I don’t think so,” he said. “Because it’s all about how you get your roster and grow your participation.

“There’s a lot of players coming back from injury, too. Let’s have a look at it midway through the season.”

Bookmakers have already written off the top-eight aspirations of the Bulldogs, Cowboys, Sea Eagles, Broncos, Tigers and Dragons, let alone their premiership hopes.

V’landys put the onus back on struggling clubs to improve their performances.

“When you look at the successful clubs, the common element is not just the roster; it’s the program they have to bring players through,” he said.

Hey Peter,

Racing NSW doesn't own any of the racecourses in Sydney. They are owned by the Australian Turf Club, of which V'landys has no authority over, pretty much like the NRL has no authority over the state Government or local councils which own and operate the vast majority of stadiums that NRL clubs play out of.

Latest posts