What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will we make the top 4?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
No, cause it's also a four point game for them. Roosters also get a Four point game against the Rabbits, who in turn get Four point games against the Roosters, and us.

This is simple shit FFS f**kin'
So Manly's draw is actually the worst because they have so few four point games?

Bandwagon

Staff member
So Manly's draw is actually the worst because they have so few four point games?

For sure, unless they lose the four point games they have, and end up fighting for a spot in the eight, in which case they then get four point games against- Raiders twice, Cowboys, Dragons and Sharks. All of which are far easier than our four point games.

strider

Post Whore
For sure, unless they lose the four point games they have, and end up fighting for a spot in the eight, in which case they then get four point games against- Raiders twice, Cowboys, Dragons and Sharks. All of which are far easier than our four point games.
So some four point games are worth more than other four point games then

Hindmarshisgod2

Juniors
I believe we will be lucky to win 2 more games, and limp into the finals with a massive injury toll and suspensions due to bushys collision game plan, and bow out in the first week of the finals.

Kilkenny

Coach
There’s nothing happening on the Panthers forum so thought I’d weigh in here.

The Eels will finish in the top four, don’t know what position they will finish in, but I think you will finish somewhere in the four.

Injuries are the big unknown in the remaining rounds, who knows what long term injuries could be sustained to key players amongst the top six sides. Suspensions and form also come into play I guess once we get closer to the end of the regular season but having a fit and healthy spine is probably the single most important factor in my opinion.

Bandwagon

Staff member
So some four point games are worth more than other four point games then

Kind of, but technically not, some four point games can become two point games, and some two point games can become four point games, meanwhile some two point games can be either four point games or two point games, except to the teams not playing those games, in which case they are all two point games to them, it just depends on the results of other games as to whether or not any given game is a two or four point game.

Again, this is really basic stuff.

Gazzamatta

Coach
The draw for the other teams looking at a top four spot isn't that far away from ours in terms of playing the other contenders.

Roosters have - Storm , Eels , Panthers , Rabbits

Rabbits have - Eels , Panthers, Roosters

Smugfers have - Eels, Storm, Roosters, Rabbits, Eels

Storm have - Roosters, Panthers, Manly, Eels

Manly only have the Storm and us. So the easier of the draws here.

Because there is so many games here between the contenders, winning a couple will make a shit ton of difference to our chances, as would say the Storm and the Panthers continuing on their form to date, because whilst that may mean us losing, it also means the other teams competing for 3rd and 4th also drop games, so it's kinda a zero sum game.

Also it's worth noting the teams below us in Rabbits, Roosters and Manly have had their bye, so there's two points we are guaranteed that they have to play for. Roosters are four points behind us, Manly are six.

Roosters play the Storm next week, I can't see them winning that, Manly play the Dogs, I can't see them losing that, so if we drop the game to Penrith, which is probably on the cards, round seventeen we get the bye, Manly play those Wacky Raiders, and Roosters get the Dogs, probably wins there for both.

That would mean we start Round 18 on 26 points, Roosters would be on 22, and Manly on 22. Meaning they both need minimum two more wins than us over eight rounds, or more likely three more wins given the current points differential to take our spot in the four. That's a big ask for them, or a complete collapse from us.

TLDR version. Our games vs Manly and Roosters are four point games!
Next weeks game V The Penny's could throw up some variables. Should NSW lose tonight the Penny's Clan maybe on a bit of a downer which could multiply not playing at home and in front of a bunch of bush supporters. Could be a great time to get them.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Next weeks game V The Penny's could throw up some variables. Should NSW lose tonight the Penny's Clan maybe on a bit of a downer which could multiply not playing at home and in front of a bunch of bush supporters. Could be a great time to get them.
Also, Friday night is a very short turnaround for anyone playing Origin tonight.

lingard

Coach
While we are currently sitting comfortably in the top 4 at the moment if we take a look at the draw for the rest of the season you will find that we have the hardest remaining draw out of all the teams that are competing for the top 4. If we want to get there then we will certainly have to earn it. We have the Panthers twice, Storm, Rabbitohs, Roosters and Sea Eagles. That’s just brutal. Judging by what we have seen so far what are everyone’s thoughts on how we’ll fare? Will we be able to rise to the occasion and beat some of the top teams and establish ourselves as contenders or will we fizzle out and show that we can’t match it with the heavy weights?
Solely based on current form, we'll be lucky to win even one of those games. Having said that, our current form is probably not a good indicator - we seem to be just going through the motions in some games, and hopefully have some tricks left up our sleeves. It is definitely going to be tough, though. The one good thing is that, if we do make the four, we should be fairly battle-hardened and ready to take on the big guns in the finals.

lingard

Coach
Either way will be hard, we need to win in week 2 to put some demons to rest

Finishing 5th, get home game straight up, and should dispose of who finished 8th
Then most likey a game in Sydney against Souths or Roosters (losers in week 1) in week 2

Finish 4th we most likely play Storm week one, lose that, then week two could face Manly or Roosters at Bankwest Stadium?

Ideally finishing top 4 and winning in week one hopefully happens, would be massive and something we havent done since 2001
Right. 5th is where it's at baby.

lingard

Coach
There’s nothing happening on the Panthers forum so thought I’d weigh in here.

The Eels will finish in the top four, don’t know what position they will finish in, but I think you will finish somewhere in the four.

Injuries are the big unknown in the remaining rounds, who knows what long term injuries could be sustained to key players amongst the top six sides. Suspensions and form also come into play I guess once we get closer to the end of the regular season but having a fit and healthy spine is probably the single most important factor in my opinion.
I remember Terry Wickey. And I've always thought that the original 'chocolate soldier' jerseys were the best. Loved 'em as a kid.

Bandwagon

Staff member

Also, Friday night is a very short turnaround for anyone playing Origin tonight.

Yeah, I aint saying loosing's a foregone conclusion, only that it's the most likely outcome.