What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Willie Mason

TroopyF

Juniors
Danny Weeedler just reported on ch9news that we're in talks with Willie, and Benny Elias is behind it all.
He reckons Humphries said it was 'interesting' that he was still without a club. Apparently one of the stumbling blocks is the fact Folkes is here and we all know where their relationship's at.

Don't think he has much of an option really,no one else seems interested, and this could be a chance to re-build his carreer/reputation.
Better him than Lote IMO, at least he is playin league.

fred92

Juniors
Danny Weeedler just reported on ch9news that we're in talks with Willie, and Benny Elias is behind it all.
He reckons Humphries said it was 'interesting' that he was still without a club. Apparently one of the stumbling blocks is the fact Folkes is here and we all know where their relationship's at.

Don't think he has much of an option really,no one else seems interested, and this could be a chance to re-build his carreer/reputation.
Better him than Lote IMO, at least he is playin league.
It's not so much a case of lack of interest,more so a a lack of cash to buy him.Id give him a last chance to behave as the club would expect him to,(he didn't really commit any mortal sins) Smith and Politis ddon't seem to want him though. We have a host of young talent,but are desperately short of experience at the club.

macnaz

Staff member
I cant say ive ever been a great fan of willies, but im smart enuf to know that he was once a great player that represented Australia. It might be a positive to play with a no nosense club with the Aus coach to bring out the best in him and perhaps fight back to gain his rep jumper and a bit of self pride . The guy as an impact player when he wants to have a go can be devastating and if he would bring that to the tigers id be happy to have his talent onboard.

Willie Mason
-Every club he is at has off field problems
-Him and Folkes split on bad terms at the end of 07
-He has been useless since 2004
-He is generally an all round f**kwit

DO NOT SIGN HIM

gallagher

Juniors
I'd take him. Only a few short years ago every here seemed desperate to sign him. Cant see it happening with Folkes here though.

Eddie.

Bench
Was just saying on the official site, I would take him.

We have tried the nice guys, model citizens, charity raising heart warming players for the past 4 years. It has not got us int othe Top 4 or the Top 8 for that matter. Thats why im in favour of Tuquiri and I would be in favour of Mason. I hate both of them to be honest. Loudmouths, one for played for the scum Dogs and one who went a step worse and played the worst sport on the planet Union, and came grovelling back.

However put them in our colours, and we start winning, and I love them both. We need to take a gamble or two, change our mediocre approach. Bring in some big mouths and "galacticos" and don't be afraid to be hated.

I Don't think Mason is past it. He came back last year off a knee reco and there year was over after 2 months. Last year he coasted, however with a point to prove i would be willing to take the gamble. Even if he was ordinary he could still had a hell of a lot in a 30 minute spell off the bench. We have missed a offloading and line breaking forward for years. If Craig Bellemy was desperate for him I think that is saying something. A half decent Mason alongside Galloway, Cayless and Ellis and we are starting to get serious for the first time in a while

Last edited:

Magpies Forever

Juniors
Was just saying on the official site, I would take him.

We have tried the nice guys, model citizens, charity raising heart warming players for the past 4 years. It has not got us int othe Top 4 or the Top 8 for that matter. Thats why im in favour of Tuquiri and I would be in favour of Mason. I hate both of them to be honest. Loudmouths, one for played for the scum Dogs and one who went a step worse and played the worst sport on the planet Union, and came grovelling back.

However put them in our colours, and we start winning, and I love them both. We need to take a gamble or two, change our mediocre approach. Bring in some big mouths and "galacticos" and don't be afraid to be hated.

I Don't think Mason is past it. He came back last year off a knee reco and there year was over after 2 months. Last year he coasted, however with a point to prove i would be willing to take the gamble. Even if he was ordinary he could still had a hell of a lot in a 30 minute spell off the bench. We have missed a offloading and line breaking forward for years. If Craig Bellemy was desperate for him I think that is saying something. A half decent Mason alongside Galloway, Cayless and Ellis and we are starting to get serious for the first time in a while

Have to agree I'd rather Mason than Tiquiri- but on strict behaviour clauses.

innsaneink

Referee
The image of him swingin a punch and then backtracking double
time in a semi against NQ just wont leave me.

Magpies Forever

Juniors
He certainly has had his moments. He is one of those players that no matter what talent he might have people can always find something to say 'yeah, but.......'. Unfortunately for Mason all too much of the yeah but's are things caused by his own actions- nothing overly serious but mounting niggly things that just detract from his positives.

I suppose you just have to say- head strong and impulsive, doesnt think before he acts but on his day, on the field, a damn good footballer. Reminds me a bit of John Donnelly- (I hope he's up there smiling at us bringing his name up.....)

Last edited:

Tiger_Tomato

Juniors
Would love to have Big willie in the team as on his day is pretty destructive. However, i have the feeling that being such a big guy, coming back from a pretty serious knee injury, he wont return to his best. Would love to be proved wrong if we signed him, i just think he'll be a shadow of his former self.

westie

Bench
I wouldn't trust this from Weildler. He's just doing what I mentioned on here the other week. We're the only NRL club with money to spend, and Crusaders are probably the only European league club who could afford him... and playing with Trimarchi and Hanbury etc probably isn't stoking his fires.

Realistically, we should sign him. After all his wanking about NFL and Jap rugby, the bloke is pretty much bollocksed for options.

DanOz

Juniors
Mason plays 5 good games per season if you are lucky. He has a destabilising influence wherever he goes. You only have to look at why no one is keen to keep him at their club to assess whether you want to pay money to bring his problems to yours...

Latest posts