What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Willoughby Roos or A Castle Cove/chatswood club

papabear

Juniors
Hi ladies and Gents,

My boy is now two and I was thinking in 4 or so years he is going to be of an age to play junior footy.

We live in castle cove and I was thinking there really is a dirth of rugby league clubs from Chatswood - Hornsby.

I could help out to a degree by trying to start a new club in the chatswood / castle cove / Roseville area, playing out of the castle cove oval.

Or then I could just sign him up for the Willoughby roos.

My wife and I are pretty busy with another kid coming along, but the weekends are usually relatively free. We also both work so week days aren't good. That in mind do you think it would be possible in starting a new JRL club or just sign him up for Willoughby?

Daddycool

Juniors
I take it you've looked at what teams are currently playing? It's still a strong rugby union area but you seem to have overlooked the Lane Cove Tigers JRLFC.

t-ba

Post Whore
Brothers as well.

Are the Ku Ring Gai Cubs a real thing? There hasn't been a junior side in the Middle North Shore since they tried the St Ives clubs decades ago. It'd be a pretty symbolic victory to get a viable club started up there.

As for founding a club, shitloads of hard work that requires more than just weekends and also involves the joy of dealing with irrational factional disputes. My family were heavily involved in the Naremburn Panthers and the Northbridge Knights and said it was a pretty crappy experience both times. Willoughby Roos play quite close to Castle Cove, practically up the Hill.

I was speaking to a guy from Ku Ring Gai Cubs on Saturday and he said they are hopeful of having a 6s 7s 8s and maybe a 10s this season. They seem to be putting in a lot of work on promoting the club through schools and signage in the area.

t-ba

Post Whore
Good. The demographics have probably changed enough to support it now.

papabear

Juniors
Thanks for the advice tba re starting a club and the work involved, I might just stick with the Willoughby roos for now. TBH I was just seeing all the signage and it got me super excited.

Lane cove tigers, yeah I saw them on the boards a while back but tbh Willoughby is that much closer it will make it easier come training, home games etc.

girvie

Staff member
There is plenty of growth happening on the north shore particularly at the Mini and Mod level and the addition of the Ku-ring-gai Cubs is a great addition for the league!

3459561_1_O.jpg

t-ba

Post Whore
Good Progress. Be good to See Hornsby and Berowra back next. Another Lower North Shore club would be good but it's a vast improvement on the time when Brothers were barely capable of running a full side in any age group and Willoughby was just running a seniors section 15 years ago.

The Cubs seem to be getting a bit of support from Manly. They had Kieran Foran (who is from St Ives) at a come and try day last week and have James Hassan this week.

Girvie is the Bruce Walker involved with the Cubs the Manly/Norths player from the 70s/80s?

Last edited:

girvie

Staff member
The Cubs seem to be getting a bit of support from Manly. They had Kieran Foran (who is from St Ives) at a come and try day last week and have James Hassan this week.

Girvie is the Bruce Walker involved with the cubs the Manly/Norths player from the 70s/80s.
Yes it's the same Bruce Walker and it has been outstanding for the Cubs to have someone like him involved.

Latest posts