What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Willow Cup Round 2. Roosters v Titans

Pistol

Coach
Forum 7s - Willow Cup Round 2 2010
SYDNEY "OZZIE" ROOSTERS v GOLD COAST TITANS
2010syd-main.jpg
-v-
2010gco-main.jpg

Game Thread:
* Please note - This is a game thread only, therefore only game posts can be made here (Teams, Articles).
* Any other posts may result in loss of points and is at the discretion of the referee.
* Only original articles, not used in previous games, will be marked by referees.

Naming Teams:
* 3v3 (+ 2 reserves for both teams)
* No 'TBA' or changing players named
* Captains must stick with original teams named

ALL THE RULES & REGULATIONS: http://f7s.leagueunlimited.com/rules.php

FULL TIME: Saturday 19th June at 9.00pm (Sydney time)
REFEREE: The Colonel
Venue: Front Row Stadium
ground_tfr_1.jpg

**The Referee Blows Game On!**
CLICK HERE FOR THE OFFICIAL WORD COUNTER

Last edited by a moderator:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
The F7s website has:

Round 2: 13 Jun – 19 Jun

Can we get this sorted asap? Thanks in advance.

Titanic

First Grade
2010%20Titans%20face%20mask%20v2.jpg
Stretching, perspiring, scratching & surreptitiously adjusting athletic supports, here come the Titans:

1. Amadean
6. tits&tans
11. Titanic

Bench

8. bgdc

13. TITs ANonymouS

Non Terminator takes the first hit up. 725 OWC.

Untitled

I've missed the meeting, I really have. The last few seasons, a new precedent has come across where we see State Of Origin matches to be far more important than that of a regular National Rugby League game. Sorry, I'm not buying it.

Now, throughout the last few weeks there have been several incidents where top players who were cited didn't have to face a suspension. Now, I'm not here to whinge about the charges, I have my own opinions on that which I will reserve. The thing I want to whinge about is the comments made by everyone regarding the possible suspensions. These comments come from fans of the game, as well as those with a self-indulged expert opinion.

Put it this way...

We should have heard, "It would be criminal for Jarryd Hayne to face suspension."
But instead we heard, "It would be criminal for Jarryd Hayne to miss the Origin just for this."

All of a sudden, State Of Origin has become so important to people that they cannot fathom the thought of a superstar facing a possible suspension just because...well...it's Origin. Add to that, we're now hearing calls from these people saying that the player should be able to play the Origin match and then serve a suspension in a club game. If only the same magically worked for injuries. If that happens, for all we know, Finals matches (including the all important Grand Final where sanity prevailed and Jarryd Hayne was allowed to play) would soon after follow the same precident. Hell, if you've worn a Test jumper and you pull of a murder during a game, it's extremely unlikely the judiciary will do anything about it. It's funny though, a Test jumper doesn't ever get the same recognition. Highest honour my ass.

But if this happens in the first finals match, the player could receive a suspension, play out the finals (and further international matches) and serve his suspension in one of those highly publicised meaningless trials. Because, what would a Finals match be without just one of the game's many superstars, right? This could set something ugly. Players need to face suspensions. If you've done something wrong you need to face the consequences. It's just that simple. It really is.

Queensland forward David Taylor, who was the victim of a few strikes from Luke O'Donnell, mentioned that there should be a new rule in place. Whatever happens in State Of Origin, stays in State Of Origin. Right, so now it's an entirely different competition. But of course, if a regular season NRL match was coming up against a team low on the ladder, a suspension could very well mean nothing. Well, maybe not if they lose.

The thing I truly cannot fathom about this whole thing is this. Two competition points are worth an awful lot these days and every week we see supporters take those points for granted. Two points have always been a tremendous difference between coming first and second, coming eighth and ninth and of course, coming fifteenth and sixteenth. But hey, at least they were able to play in a losing State Of Origin side. That's all that matters. It's getting to the stage where sitting out of a regular season match doesn't mean anything. Hell, it would mean a whole lot to those thousands of kids who share that same dream of one day wearing a First Grade jumper.

Phil Gould has continually mentioned that the State Of Origin competition is an arena where the best players in the game arrive to slog their guts out. All of the best players should be there, as long as they're not injured, right Phil? Suspensions have to carry for sanity to prevail. We could see a match two weeks before a State Of Origin match where, say, a Queensland player executes a high tackle that injures a New South Wales player. But because the big match is coming up, the Queenslander has to be able to play, right?

I know we haven't set this sort of precident quite yet, and I know the possibilities of me over-reacting to a few comments could be there.

But I have the feeling in the next few years, there will be one decision that will change the game once more.

For sanity's sake, let's hope not.

Monk

Referee
Monk takes the ball under tonnes of pressure. 717 Words according to the OWC.

It was a long time coming.

The Date was Wednesday the 2nd of June 2010.

On this date, the whole rugby league community was shocked by the immediate announcement of a change to the rules which saw corner posts no longer treated as touch in goal when players came into contact with them.

This was seemingly the start of a try scoring frenzy, wingers would now have ‘free reign’ at the try line whenever they pleased. All because now they did not have this metre tall piece of foam covered cardboard in the way.

One of the main reasons that the rule was changed was to ‘assist the video referee in making decisions involving slow motion and freeze frame replays to determine whether a try has been scored’ according to nrl.com, although it didn’t really seem like it was THAT hard to see which happened first, the ball hitting the turf (under control of course, and I’m sure the universe would like that rule to be black and white) or the player hitting the corner post.

But why did the rule change have to take place immediately? Why if this was such a priority did it not take place during the offseason, or next offseason? Well NRL Chief Operating Officer Graham Annesley had this to say on the matter:

"There was overwhelming feedback from the clubs that if a change was to happen then it should take effect immediately."

While it is clear that under the previous set of rules, a corner post that was leaning a fraction inwards or a whole lot in was of course impacting the play in a way that could have prevented a try from being awarded because it is clear black and white ruling that the corner post was ‘touch in goal’.

Phil ‘Gus’ Gould had been pushing this rule for what seemed an eternity and when it was introduced it seemed that it would indeed lead to more passes going wide when inside the opposition’s 20 metres. Some people however were very much opposed to the rule saying things like it was ‘destroying the history of our game’ and that ‘now it requires no skill to score in the corner’, and this second reason what something which many people believed. Yes, it is true that some spectacular tries had been scored while players tried to avoid the corner post but still the possibility remains for some spectacular feats of players grounding the ball over the sideline.

But 2 weeks later, the rule does not seem to have changed the attacking play too much or even at all. Even still there have been no noticeable negative impacts to the game. So you have got to think that sometimes when the fans are crying out for a change to be made to the game of rugby league, maybe it is in the best interests of the game to change it. Although one can only hope that this rule change does not turn out like many others (e.g. the obstruction rule, the ‘having control over the ball as you are grounding it’ rule etc.) and just add fields of grey where before there was virtually none.

Although i think this rule change is perfect for the saying “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” because you then effectively start making problems that weren't there before.

But this rule change could in fact lead to a possible and a positive change. Which I believe wout benefit the world of rugby league greatly. This rule change that I would like to see implemented in the future is the addition of the corner post to the 20m line. This would make judging 40/20’s that much easier and of course the same rules would apply to them that apply to the corner posts in goal.

This is a change that I believe needs to be made. Its common knowledge that the corner posts in goal are there to assist the on field referee (now referees) and touch judges if the ball has gone touch in goal or just outside of the in goal, why not add the same at the 20m line to assist in the adjudication of the 40/20 kick?

Heck, if it makes sense why the hell shouldn't it be done?

Cliffhanger

Coach
After over a month on the sideline Cliffhanger takes the field

NB: The term football in this article is used only to refer to the football game played with the round ball, the world game, where a foot actually makes contact with the ball 99 per cent of the time.

719 words

Bogans, Grommets and Bludgers

On the eve of Australia’s must win World Cup match game against Ghana it might be time to explore the future of football in Australia and what it will mean for other codes. It’s strange that in the midst of all the excitement and questions marks over Pim’s selections, questions of why the umpires hate us, and whether we can even score a goal this time around, we haven’t really asked this one: with the popularity of football increasing rapidly in Australia are Rugby League and Aussie Rules at risk of becoming irrelevant in 20 years time?

Some of you may immediately cry "insanity," and argue football is too slow, or too soft of a sport to be appreciated by the by the “typical aussie,” however how many of these people actually exist amongst the younger generations?

Let’s examine the facts for a moment. The Fifa World Cup is watched by more people than the Olympics, it is the most played sport in the world, football is without a doubt the world game. In the last decade the popularity of football in Australia has skyrocketed, participation rates amongst juniors have soared and as has the number of people tuning into Socceroos' matche and s it is fairly safe to assume the trend will continue as the world becomes more globalised. In a decade or so when the Socceroos are relying on more than a whole lot of ticker to gain the competitive edge you can bet football in Australia will reach new heights.

However while international football is reaching surprisingly high levels of interest in Australia the popularity of A-League is not quite where it should be. Yes the A-League is definitely building traction but nowhere near the original forecasts. It appears winning over Rugby League and Aussie Rules fans has become only half the struggle, with many football fans who are used to the spectacle of the English Premier League, Champion’s League and Bundesliga rejecting the A League as a poor man’s option.

Despite the slow start and the long way to go though Sydney FC jerseys and merchandise are far from a rare site on Sydney streets and pubs. Sydney FC’s last season match against Melbourne Victory was attended by over 25,000 fans who braved the rain to see Sydney defeat the then reining premiers. Just over a month after that match on March 20 I saw something which seriously surprised me. During dinner with a friend at Newtown pub, patrons had the option of either watching the A-League grand final which was between Sydney FC and Melbourne Victory or a regular season NRL match between Newcastle Knights and the Melbourne Storm and while it should have come as no surprise a part of me was shocked when I noted all eyes were glued to the T.V featuring the A-League game, while the Rugby League game received no attention. Fans dressed in baby blue football jerseys and draped in NSW flags and scarves watched the final match with their hearts in their mouths while the Rugby League game was ignored. To be fair Newtown does not have a NRL team and Newcastle and Melbourne are not exactly a stone throw away and one games was a grand final while the other was a regular season match however it was hard not to read into it a little, the A-League is starting to make its mark.

It would be unreasonable to claim A-League will overtake AFL or NRL anytime soon. Considering Sydney FC is the only Sydney A-League team it should not be out of the question to expect them to average 20,000 plus crowds during the regular season and they’re not quite there yet. But who knows maybe in 2 decades a few months out from the 2030 World Cup the A-League grand final will be dominating the news headlines and this could mean anything for NRL and AFL.

Crowd numbers only tell half the story let us not forget more talented young athletes are starting to choose football over Rugby League or Aussie Rules, the number of talent that will be at the disposal of A-League teams and eventually the Socceroos will see significant increases. This means the competition will only become stronger and even more exciting to watch.

Last edited:

Titanic

First Grade
Titanic for the Titans ... boot polish under eyes, short shorts and mullet cuts ... it's the return to mid-season knock-outs ... "TV" Ted Ellery and Kerry Hemsley step aside. (750 OWC between the stars).

166.jpg

Profanity, vituperation and other expletives

Let’s face it, a day out at the footy has several certainties… you'll leave thirsting for more, the seating will be adequate but uncomfortable and you’ll be exposed to some colourful language.

It could be argued that society’s condemnation of indecent language is nonsensical considering 'sticks and stones will break your bones but names can never hurt you'. In addition to that ancient adage, obscenities often have other forms that are not offensive. One attracts a modicum of sympathy if you prick your finger but etiquette dictates that you can’t finger your prick.

Along the same line, the public outrage that surrounds over-exuberant swearing is, in essence, ludicrous and not in proportion when compared to infinitely more heinous acts . Who hasn’t watched a “spaghetti western” where brutal murder is condoned? I think we all would rather our children watched two people enthusiastically making love rather than some bloodthirsty six-gun massacre. Substitute the socially unacceptable fock* for kill in this familiar scene:

Okay pardner, slap leather, I’m gonna fock ya. I’m gonna fock ya real slow.

Instead of eradicating the world of profanity by applying hefty deterrents such as public stoning or death by lethal injection, our forefathers instead opted for lightweight remedial strategies to dilute the impact of course language. Furthermore, the inexact science of Linguistics has weighed in to the debate giving crudity tacit credibility by branding such loathsome verbage with erudite nom de plumes such as “euphemism”, “minced oath” and the ever-quaint “rhyming slang”.

There can be little doubt that calling somebody a berk sounds less offensive than calling them a cutie**, although berk is short for Berkeley Hunt.

Altering the pronunciation or spelling of an impolite term to form a euphemism is known as taboo deformation and there are an astonishing number of these in English, many of which refer to the infamous four-letter words. Words which are unacceptable on television, such as fock, may be represented by deformations such as freak — even in children's cartoons.

Any student of the English language can tell you that all the blame for such antiquated forms of prudish expressionism can be laid squarely at the feet of the Classical empires. The Greek term aidoion for the genitals literally means "shameful thing". Groin, crotch, and loins refer to a larger region of the body, but are euphemistic when used to refer to the genitals. Masturbate is derived from Latin. Manus (hand) and sturbare (to defile) are just words, no matter their colloquial spin.

So why take offence? What has driven cultures over the centuries to disregard free expression and brand a whole range of descriptive adjectives as somehow filthy? Fashion and religious edicts have further conspired to stigmatise bodily functions and condemn flowery language to the shadowy realms of indecency. Surely, a turd, is a turd, is a turd in any language? Just ask Jonathon Thurston or the red-necked Joey Johns.

Perhaps he could have used the Greek playwright Euripides’ defence, 'twas but my tongue, 'twas not my soul that swore.

An afternoon at the footy does bring its own unique form of vulgarity. In my father’s day such inflammatory jibes as “the ref’s a mug” and sledging a goal kicker by shouting “lolly legs” were considered risqué. P-p-p-Pete the p-p-p-Pieman, a local rugby league identity in Mt. Isa in the late ‘70’s, rant through his speech impediment for the legendary Foley Shield champions “p-p-p-push it up ‘em Isa” still rings in my ear. The bawdy “get off ‘im, he’s not your mother” from Darwin’s Richardson Park compares favourably with the Cherbough Mission fan’s earthy refrain of “fock ya, ya dusty hole”.

The sanctity of the “dressing room” was violated forever on that fateful night when a rampant microphone penetrated the Maroons virtuous huddle capturing Mal Meninga’s frenetic phonetics. So where to draw the line?

Historically, the fair and the foul have been a part and parcel of life, no matter how well they have been camouflaged. The candour of fans’ raw emotions manifesting themselves as socially inappropriate verbal outpourings, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing, are just that... harmless passion.

After all, back when I started playing rugby league, I heard every derivation of the magic word during the course of a game. I believed it was a part of the sport’s vocabulary, its traditions, so I accepted it as such. I may have learned about girls at church camp, but I learned to use profanity, and use it well, on the football field.

* fock = bonk
** cutie = front bum

Last edited:

Amadean

Juniors
Amadean bares cheeks and soul for the Titans, with 727 below the bar.

The Importance of Diversity.

state-of-origin.jpg

In the previous round my condescending epistle of erratic insults addressed in general to New South Wales was poorly received. I have decided that my lowest-ever score of 75 was not due to tender feelings on the behalf of Blue fans, but rather the reverse. Consequently, I have prepared the following torrent of invective. Should you, noble reader, not wish to wade through a tide of abusive mockery, I suggest you go over to Titanic’s article which is a good one about Karmichael Hunt.

Dear New South Wales fans, players and selectors,

I’ll do you the respect of not mincing words (although you may continue mincing about as normal) regarding Wednesday’s hideously poor attempt at competitive rugby: you aren’t very good at League.

Now don’t get your frilly panties in a knot, there isn’t any argument you can erect in response. Your demonstration of sucking was impressive only in its degree of bathos: so far short of ‘bringing it’ were you that the Socceroos looked competitive in comparison. Lockyer’s team went through your sorry selves faster than hot curry through a short nun and all the tough talk of Sydney journalists couldn’t make up for a severe dearth being-halfway-decent.

Unfortunately for yourselves, the news doesn’t get any better from there. Not satisfied with your efforts the previous match, a display more reminiscent of daytime tele-novellas than professional footy players, your star of the past decided to assist the Maroons to a greater extent. ‘Joey’ Johns, recovering coke-head and NSW role model, believed that not only was Greg Inglis a person who should be made utterly furious, but that fairly competent teammates L-Lars and TimTam would be like, totally cool, with the other team’s indigenous players being correctly addressed as Golliwogs, Coons, Coconuts and dark lady’s genitalia. After all, they’d know he wasn’t talking about them, right? He was just trying to, right, say that all fs@king n#ggers should hang, which is fair enough, cause they’re not like us blokes are they? Probably drunk too.

It would be unfair of me to generalise this pig-ignorant racism as being entirely depictive of the average NSW-person. I’m going to anyway, because Anthony Mundine said that is the case. So, now that we’ve neatly established that all Blues fans are incompetent racists (which is probably better than being competent racists, but we’ll leave that aside for one moment) we now need to discuss the degree to which State of Origin 2 was proof of Blues fans’ predilection for inbreeding.

According to the well-respect academic resource Encyclopedia Dramatica: “Incest … usually results in children who are very ugly and/or stupid, and in turn, fail at life. Such traits only appear on the first generation and if you have a whole bunch of incest babies then the ones with the defects will die off and it will weed out bad recessive genes and it results in genetically healthier offspring.”

New South Wales is humanity’s third attempt to prove the above theoretical tenet. Proof is specifically available in the form of Paul Gallen and Luke O’Donnell. Both of these specimens admirably fulfill the ‘ugly’ requirement, but their stupidity is truly at international levels. O’Donnell is still unable to comprehend the subtleties of the ‘don’t attempt blatant violence in front of the referee’ rule of thumb, whilst Gallen’s tackling strategy requires throttle-holds to succeed. Both players ought to be aware that there exist devices to visually record such matches, but their single-gamete genetic history makes such comprehension impossible.

We have now proven incompetence, racism, malignancy and inbreeding as being core to the New South Welsh identity. What ought be next? Should we discuss the tendency towards moral cowardice, as evinced by an unwillingness to shoulder the political unpopularity of promoting the next generation (say, Campese) above the moronic popularity of relying on proven incompetents (say, Barrett)? No, that’s been given sufficient air in previous articles. Enough.

Dear New South Welsh-folk, please understand that this abusive tirade comes from the heart. Well, near the heart. More bowel than heart to be honest, but then you’ve been sh*t for so long it should at least feel familiar. This torrent of invective is well-meant and there must be lessons drawn: replace violence with skill, be brave with selections and remember, no matter how pretty your sister looks, winners don’t practice incest.

Love,

Maroons.

Last edited:

tits&tans

Juniors
tits&tans for the Titans ...

713 words (OWC).

As Aussie as …

I spent last night with over 200 boisterous, beer-swilling Germans in a German pub in Nanjing watching a dismal performance by both teams. How is it that this lacklustre sport that is played by, to be polite, a bunch of fairies, has captured the world's attention and love?

The world around us seems to have become caught up in soccer fever and it’s all that anyone is talking about. Pundits and plaudits have even begun to express the idea that Australia should build its international relation policy around the Socceroos! Twaddle.

I therefore would like to make the case that although soccer does have its place in the armoury of our Foreign Department’s politicians, it is actually League that should be used to define our place in the world.

It’s really a matter of which code of football we want to use for the international relations analogy. Our diverse approach to footy reflects the range of regions Australia borders. As a nation that has four major football codes, we can claims access and membership rights in as many different regions. We are the only country to also own a continent and we are uniquely positioned to look out on several different regions of the world. Our promiscuous regionalism is reflected in our sports.

We play soccer in Asia. I think this shows the true nature of our regional malleability. Way back when, we used to qualify for the World Cup as part of Oceania but then we decided we would prefer to be Asian. Our domestic teams now play in the Asian Champions League. This shift has played a vital role in our geo-political and geo-economical position in the world.
Our Indian Ocean sport is cricket and it is this sport that dominates our political relations with India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Zimbabwe, Sri Lanka and South Africa.

We have a partnership with the US separated only by the Pacific (well, and ideology and culture). We have a common language and but no common sporting obsession. The only mainstream sport we share is tennis, and that doesn't offer any war-like metaphors useful to our central military relationship. I came across a wonderful quote from The Economist to explain why Aussies and Yanks couldn’t really sit in the pub and knock back a few while chatting about sport:
The minute divisions of labour in America's sports, for example, and the structural role of advertising breaks, suggest its ingrained capitalism; the glitzy parochialism conveys the American tendency to splendid isolation.

In the South Pacific, we play rugby. Rugby Union matters (to some people I guess), but for popular culture, the regional impact has been in Rugby League. The relatively recent significant transformation in the lineup of our professional Rugby League teams has been the immense drive to recruit players from the South Pacific. Nearly one third of NRL players come from Tonga, Samoa, Fiji, Maori or Cook Island heritages. This 'huge influx' is been pushed by 'coaches keener to recruit Polynesian-type body shapes to combat the brutal collisions of the code'.

If Queenslanders and the Mexicans now have a smattering of Polynesian pronunciation , we’ve learnt it from the Islanders playing Rugby League. Call it the Fuifui Moimoi effect! Would you dare say phooey to Fuifui as he hurtles towards you?

League has given us a living window into our Island neighbours. And now League is giving Australia Nicky Winmar moment. The jersey has been lifted to expose the hurt below, as Timana Tahu walks away from representative footy in disgust at the words and thoughts of one of the former stars of the game. This walkout starkly expresses the hurt and disgust that accompanies racism in just two words: "Black c...." Never have two words in rugby league said so much.

In the past, League has forced Australians to think about their relationship with aborigines. Now, it is also about how Australia relates to our Pacific Island neighbours.

For the government, South Pacific policy is usually about aid, diplomacy and leadership.

League brings it back to what really matters – people.
It’s about time that we realized that not only does League have health, career, financial and community benefits for Australia, but it also has a role to play in defining Australia for the world.

Last edited:

Titanic

First Grade
Thanks 'Unit and I'm assuming your referring to the Gregory Isaacs' tune... one of my favourites.

Great last minute scramble boys ... that dash from pub to paddock is always a challenge.

Good luck Roosters, there are three great reads there.

Over to you The Colonel... 3v3 should be a mouth watering morsel, together with bacon & eggs, a cuppa and the Sunday papers.

antonius

Coach
Sorry about the delay people, not sure what happened here.

Roosters

Non Terminator

Untitled
725 Words
The writer looks at suspensions and the effect SOO may have on the decisions of the judiciary. The piece seemed a little rushed, with some minor problems with grammar.
Score 84

Monk

It was a long time coming.
717 Words
In this piece the author looks at a recent rule change, and asks a few questions regarding the timing of the change, and it’s effect on the game so far. He also asks “why not have a post on the 20 meter line?” Spoilt by long sentences, and so poor grammar. Proof reading by team mates would rectify this. Good subject though and some good thoughts expressed.
Score 84

Cliffhanger

Bogans, Grommets and Bludgers
719 Words
The writer examines the effect that football is having on the NRL and AFL. Will it take over as our most favoured sport in the future? The writer puts up some thought provoking facts and figures to support the theory. This piece is well put together and well thought out. More attention to the final presentation of the piece (spelling, long sentences, and grammar) would have seen a higher score. But an interesting read. Not sure of the relevance of the title though.
Score 87

Total 255

Titans

Titanic
Profanity, vituperation and other expletives
750 Words
Swearing at the footy. The writer looks at the subject of profanities being used at footy games, is it acceptable or not? How many kids have learnt the art of a well placed swear word at the footy?
Score 87

Amadean

The Importance of Diversity.
729 Words
Oh dear the irony. By some will of the gods you’ve been lumbered with the same ref for this one!
The writer goes to great lengths to insult all NSW fans following the farce that was SOO 2. Funny in parts, overdone in others. I’m sure somewhere in there is some good advice for all NSW fans, players, selectors and so on.
Score 84

tits&tans

As Aussie as …
714 Words
A piece that looks at the different sports in Australia, and how that affects our relationships with other countries. The influx of Polynesian players, and the recent Andrew Johns/Timana Tahu affair makes us look at our relationship with the Island nations and how we are seen by them. Thoughtful.
Score 88

Total 259

Result Titans 259 defeated Roosters 255 POTM tits&tans

Latest posts