What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wilson: Why I left The Footy Show

May 29, 2005 THE Sunday Telegraph columnist Rebecca Wilson reveals the truth about why she left Channel 9's Footy Show after just one night.

My mum is still a teacher at a Queensland boys' school. After 40 years in the business, she knows just a little about boys and bullying. When we were growing up, she would share her experience with us: that bullies always pick on targets who are physically weaker.

She told us they never look you in the eye and hunt in a pack. The smarter kids often copped it from the gang of pitbulls who made themselves feel better by preying on others.

I have always believed my mum is right about stuff like that. I believe that in the past two weeks, I have been shown a world where a couple of professionals put their heads together to work out a way to attack someone's life, professionally and personally, without facing her.

It's a world where these people believe their own publicity, and spread the word their target was fair game because she dared to have an opinion different from theirs, and to state it in a column.

For the record, here are the facts. You can make your own judgment.

I rang Sam Chisholm at Channel 9 last Wednesday afternoon and resigned from The Footy Show. He asked me to reconsider, as did executive producer Steve Crawley.

Both were supportive and acted with the utmost professionalism. They thought I had a lot to bring to the program.

The Fairfax media reported on page one and on banners around the city that I had been dumped, even though Crawley and I told The Sydney Morning Herald I had quit.

Fairfax was told by Paul Vautin's manager, John Gibbs, he had heard from several Channel 9 sources I had been dumped.

The Bulletin sent an accomplished reporter to do a story on me. It seemed to proceed on a preconceived notion – let's paint a picture of a ball-breaking, ambitious blonde with a legion of enemies.

Anyone who knows me, and makes an effort to scratch the surface, knows that cliche is way off the mark. The reporter told me she had contacted several of my close friends. Last time I checked with those she claimed to have contacted, they were still waiting for the call.

During my first and last appearance on The Footy Show, Vautin ignored me before, during and after it. He didn't speak to me at all, either in a commercial break or during the show. He gave me lip service saying he would respect me, but his actions on and off camera failed to live up to that.

Vautin then went on radio with Gibbs and commentator Andrew Voss last Saturday, where the three criticised my one and only performance on The Footy Show.

They said I had brought nothing to the table, that I was a failure. It's a view clearly not shared by Chisholm and Crawley. Vautin and Gibbs repeated these comments on radio last Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. These statements were made only on the public airwaves, never to my face.

Vautin could have told me directly what he thought before or even after the show. He didn't. To me, that feels like bullying behaviour.

After hearing more attacks on radio, I decided enough was enough. Anonymous calls revealed more wanted to join in and work in a pack. At least Vautin was prepared to publicly state his position.

I was not going to be subjected to a mass and hidden attack from so many quarters. Above all, I wasn't going to put my two beautiful children through any more.

They had told their friends about their mum going on The Footy Show. When their mates watched it and told them how badly I had been treated by Vautin and Peter Sterling, they were mystified. Weren't those blokes meant to be heroes? No longer in their eyes. Or mine.

The anonymous attacks aren't directed at how I feel about issues – they are directed right at me.

A friend, Nelune, has been fighting cancer for five years, but took time out from chemotherapy to send this message: "If you are relieved, then I am happy. Don't be bothered by others; those who care about you know you are the best. We will always love you. Others come and go."

These are the people my mum taught me about – the ones who are there by your side in the bad times.

I let the bastards beat me, but one day they will get theirs.

The Sunday Telegraph

Dogs Of War

Coach
Rebecca Wilson said:
I have been shown a world where a couple of professionals put their heads together to work out a way to attack someone's life, professionally and personally, without facing her.

Yes Rebecca, it wouldn't be because your outlandish statements have forced people from Football Clubs and other parts of the media to want you as far away from them as possible...

Hopefully your career writing about rugby league will come to an end shortly (well as soon as News Ltd think they have got all the exposure out of you they can), then you can move onto covering AFL and delighting the supporters of their code with your insightful coverage of the game.

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
It's funny how reporters hate to be on the other foot.

Her gossip column regularly causes these sorts of problems for whoever she targets.

I was actually horrified how much the Footy Show team did actually integrate her into that weeks show. Fatty and Sterlo were nothing but a gentleman during the show.

Mudducks

Juniors
Sea_Eagles_Rock said:
It's funny how reporters hate to be on the other foot.

Her gossip column regularly causes these sorts of problems for whoever she targets.

I was actually horrified how much the Footy Show team did actually integrate her into that weeks show. Fatty and Sterlo were nothing but a gentleman during the show.

She is a Coward, and the biggest one of them all.

Yes and to be funny, at least try(Ie: Queensland tops). Was crappest of them all

bartman

Immortal
Cry me a river, showpony... If your sports journalism skills were at all worthy, then you'd let your actual sporting stories do the talking instead of seeking the ego-trip.

gaterooze

Bench
Pure hypocrisy. Did she ever tell Fatty face to face how awful he & his show was? No, she just wrote it in her column. Now she's whinging when the roles are reversed.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
Wilson and Fatty deserve each other. I say channel nine should put them both on a deserted island and see what happens. It would make a great reality show.

dimitri

First Grade
she has claimed that fatty and sterlo are bullies for not speaking to her off camera

she is the bully for her very ordinary articles always trying to pick on someone, whilst hiding behind a desk.

Iafeta

Referee
What Big Mick said.

Adios Becks, to use your analogy of your relationship with Fatty, you were hopeless slander based material before the show, you were hopeless slander based material during the show, you are hopeless hopeless slander based material after the show. You're not a journalist's quiver.

RABK

Referee
As far as journalists go she is

The worst there is
The worst there was
And the worst there ever will be

Any wrestling fan will know where i got that one. :lol:

sunny

One thing that does get me about the whole thing is that it's being painted in some quarters that she's an outcast for being a woman. This is not true- granted, there are a few sexist morons around, but you get them in any part of society. She's an outcast because she's incompetent.

Slappy

Juniors
Disgraceful bitch!
She must be the biggest hypocrite in the universe!
Trying to make us all feel sorry for her with silly stories about her mother's bullying experiences, and then dragging somebody with cancer into it!

Seriously, she is exploiting the fact that a friend has a life threatening disease purely to back up her point of view! Shocking stuff!

It is no sectret that this horrendous woman has an agenda when it comes to rugby league, and now she's upset that she can't wage this little war on the highest profile rugby league show on free to air television.

She's taking the 'moral high ground' but it will be only a microsecond before she's back on the rugby league slander trail!

Rugby League has enough problems without these gutter rats trying to drag it down into the sewer!

Kiwi

First Grade
Oh boo hoo, what a shame, now the biatch knows how it feels. She does exactly what she said they did to her. Whats the matter you stupid woman, can't handle what you dish out.

Latest posts