What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wimbledon

bucko

Juniors
7-6, 6-3, 6-3, the scud has beaten Grosjean. He played extremely well, and really deserved the win. Well done.

Blade

Juniors
bucko said:
7-6, 6-3, 6-3, the scud has beaten Grosjean. He played extremely well, and really deserved the win. Well done.

Well said mate.

The Scud never looked like anything but in total control of that match. I can now envision an Aussie - Wimbledon Champion :D

...and it's a terrific feeling 8)

bucko

Juniors
It is now a Philippoussis, Federer final, as Federer defeated Roddick in straight sets straight after the scud's win.

Trojan Horse

Juniors
Considering Philippoussis was not in the list of the top 35 seeded players at the start of Wimbledon -- coupled with the fact that the Aussie was confined to a wheelchair due to a knee injury for a period of time prior and told he would never player competitive tennis again -- makes it an even more remarkable achievement thus far.

I can see nothing short of an Aussie victory in a couple of days.

This is also the fourth successive year that Australia will have had a male player in the Wimbledon final. Pat Rafter was runner-up in 2000 and 2001, and Lleyton Hewitt won the tournament in 2002.

Question - I know Mark Philippoussis has fired a 142mph serve but is this the current record? If not, who holds the fastest recorded serve?

Trojan Horse

Juniors
Couldn't get my Google page working, but it does now.

I could of sworn Mark Philippoussis served a 142mph rocket but the image below doesn't agree with me.

_39164446_fastest_serve_2_298.gif

Here's something interesting I found here [Speed of the Fastest Served Tennis Ball];

"'Big Bill' Tilden, in 1931, was credited with 163.3 mph [262.8 km/h]. Lester Stoefen, American also, was credited with 131 mph 211 km/h in the 1930s. In the post-war game Jack Kramer was accorded 110 mph 177 km/h and Richard Gonzales 112 mph 180 km/h."

My question is - How/on what instrument was the serve recorded?

kaon

Juniors
I'd say that those speeds from the 30's wouldn't be too acurate. They probably just measured the distance and divided it by the time it took to reach the other player.

bucko

Juniors
Serena has defeated her older sister Vunus in three sets in the females final at wimbledon, 4-6, 6-4, 6-2. Venus challenged hard, but carried an abdominal injury from her previous match. Serena wins her second wimbledon in a row.

alex

Juniors
Ah dammit. I thought Venus had a shot at the beginning of the match, and even when she broke Serena towards the end of the second set. Serena played well, I don't think people can say that this match was rigged, they both looked pretty determined.

bucko

Juniors
Well it's "Operation Federer" tonight. Good luck scud, i think he can really win this one.

bucko

Juniors
7-6, 6-2, 7-6. The scud was simply outplayed. Federer is something special too, he is definately the future of this sport. Very low unforced error count by both players, Federer was just the better plaer on the night.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Kept hiting the ball into the net. Federer the demented pygmy didn't deserve it as much as Mark but Mark kept letting him dominate.

Trojan Horse said:
Couldn't get my Google page working, but it does now.

I could of sworn Mark Philippoussis served a 142mph rocket but the image below doesn't agree with me.

_39164446_fastest_serve_2_298.gif

Here's something interesting I found here [Speed of the Fastest Served Tennis Ball];

"'Big Bill' Tilden, in 1931, was credited with 163.3 mph [262.8 km/h]. Lester Stoefen, American also, was credited with 131 mph 211 km/h in the 1930s. In the post-war game Jack Kramer was accorded 110 mph 177 km/h and Richard Gonzales 112 mph 180 km/h."

My question is - How/on what instrument was the serve recorded?

There was a guy named Roscoe Tanner who was considered the fastest in the late 70s-early 80s. Did it say how fast his serve was measured? It should have been fairly accurate by then.

GBT

Juniors
CanadianSteve said:
There was a guy named Roscoe Tanner who was considered the fastest in the late 70s-early 80s. Did it say how fast his serve was measured? It should have been fairly accurate by then.

Aye, Roscoe Tanner from Lookout Mountain Tennessee. I think he first appeared in the early to mid 70's. He was only about 6' tall, and played with a small headed racket. Wonder how he'd rate today if he was a bit taller and with a modern racket.