What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wine thread

Bazal

Post Whore
Must be a ticketing error. Website is still $24 and a quick text to my old mate who manages Gungahlin confirms $24 on shelf.

Sigh. Shame.

Bazal

Post Whore
Interesting because it just scanned at $5 for me

Yeah, the tickets print as per the price in system.

So if the batch comes down in a certain state or area or even store with an error, the error has still been applied in the system.

Basically you're luckier than me haha. I'll still check out my local if I get the chance

horrie hastings

First Grade
Must be a ticketing error. Website is still $24 and a quick text to my old mate who manages Gungahlin confirms $24 on shelf.

Sigh. Shame.

It was funny, i was off yesterday so wasn't there when the ticket batch came through, it was a staff member who works at the nearby drive thru shop came in and said did you get any of the Squealing Pig Syrah for $5, we had 6 bottles sitting on the shelf with no ticket on it so scanned it and it came up $5, scanned the bottle for a ticket and it came up as $5 also, you gotta love Liquorland sometimes :eek:

Bazal

Post Whore
I CBF with the vintage, Coldstream Hills Pinot Noir.

Not the Hills, the estate. f**king hell, this used to be a cracker. How easy is it to churn out below par juice when you write the most popular book that rates your wine?

This easy.

It's not awful by any means, it's just nothing on what it used to be. Simple nose, tart cherry and sap. Palate is much the same, it's got some spice and a nice kind of velvety texture for sure but it just feels lacking.

Shame, because it used to be excellent and good value. And the chardies are still excellent. Maybe it's just a shit year

Bazal

Post Whore
2018 Yarrh Wines Natural Shiraz.

Hand plunged, wild ferment, no oak and no preservatives, filtering or additives.

Tastes like high quality free-run shiraz juice straight off the crush, just about. Great stuff to just drink

horrie hastings

First Grade
Get down to VC Manuka mate, Coles are going spastic with the clearances.

They sure are, I did the late shift today so missed the ticket run but there was a 11 pages and most of them were $5 , I think a lot we didn't have or only a few bottles left, obviously a lot would have gone by the time I got there at 2pm . Just for a cheap Quaff I picked up the 1lt Mad Fish white for $5 but as I was doing a quick face up at closing I thought I saw Brands Laira Cab Sav for $5 , going to check it out properly tomorrow. Mind you I picked up the Squealing Pig Syrah yesterday for $5 , had other shops ringing up looking for it today.

They sure are, I did the late shift today so missed the ticket run but there was a 11 pages and most of them were $5 , I think a lot we didn't have or only a few bottles left, obviously a lot would have gone by the time I got there at 2pm . Just for a cheap Quaff I picked up the 1lt Mad Fish white for $5 but as I was doing a quick face up at closing I thought I saw Brands Laira Cab Sav for $5 , going to check it out properly tomorrow. Mind you I picked up the Squealing Pig Syrah yesterday for $5 , had other shops ringing up looking for it today.
Apparently the world needs more James Busby top shelf international wines...

Bazal

Post Whore
Went down to VC. Not a whole lot of high end stuff on, but did get some steals.

Off the top of my head, got;

Pizzini Nebbiolo $29
Some Young Punks Passion Has Red Lips $10
Yarra Burn Vintage Rose $10
Squealing Pig Syrah $10
Maison Champy White (Forget which one) $10
De Bortoli Bella Riva Sangiovese $5

Sadly all out of the Deep Woods Shiraz Et Al and Cab Malbec for $5 a pop as well.

My two local Liquorlands have zero clearance buys though. Apparently First Choice are going loopy too but I CBF going there now the nearest one is the shit city store.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Batch X McLaren Vale Shiraz down to $5, i let the hunters get them this morning seeing i got the Squealing Pig Syrah for $5. Stock on hand did say we had a couple of bottles left even though the shelf was empty, will check the tops tomorrow to see if there are any strays.

Seppelt “Drumborg Vineyard” Pinot Meunièr 2016. Nowhere near as good as I remember when I had this wine about 8 or so years ago. Acidic and thin, I am genuinely not finding any redeeming features in this wine.