What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wine thread

Bazal

Post Whore
2013 Stefano Lubiana Estate Pinot Noir. Derwent Valley. One of my favourite pinot's back in the day when I used to have to sell people on my fave wines.

Still vibrant, clear red, although the age shows on the nose with heavy black fruit and wood spices. Once it breathes though it might be a 2-3 year old wine. Black cherries and raspberries, sage, and bramble. Not as earthy as others I've had.

It's a little jammy on the palate with age and the vintage but still bright and very powerful. The herbs from the nose aren't really there but it's much more foresty on the palate, with a little bit of rose, and it finishes with some acid but also a rounded nutty richness right at the end that reminds me of Nocello.

I think they were about $40 a bottle when I bought this one which is a bargain. Looking at $70 now, I'd have to try a current vintage but I wouldn't baulk at giving it a go based on this one and my memory of the wine.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Penfolds Max Shiraz Cabernet 2016. Plum, blackberry and licorice on the nose and plum blackberry and a bit of pepper on the palate.
Cracked the bottle last night to have a glass while watching the football, going to have the rest tonight with roast beef.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Just googled it, looks a very interesting blend, going to try and hunt down a bottle.

Not yet, but looks like Dan's up the road has it so I will shortly!

Love their wines. Have been getting through the last of the Massimo and Della Mina blends recently

Sounds interesting, a lot of different grapes going into that bottle.

I expect a written report on my desk by Friday this week lads - hop to it! :p

@Bazal - Massimo and Della Mina are amazing.

They have a straight Mataro too which is my go to these days. Have really fallen in love with them as a winery.

Kingston "Echelon" Petit Verdot 2012.

Picked this up from Liquor Emporium Alexandria when I visited my brother in Sydney last week. Been drinking a bit of Petit Verdot recently, as one of the local wineries here (Yarran Wines) makes a cracking one. Drawn in by the age and the tonne of bling.

Very thick, jammy red. A good plum flavour followed by a big herbal hit on the palate, particularly sage and tarragon. Surprisingly, given its jammy mouthfeel, it does finish quicker than expected. Quite a nice red, though I probably prefer my Petit Verdot younger.

Bannockburn "1314 A.D." Pinot Noir 2019. Very simple, drinkable Pinot Noir: pale red colour, bright red fruits, good acidity, medium length finish with a very light prick of bubbles on the tongue.

Bazal

Post Whore
Penfolds Bin 407 1993

Am moving house, this is one of those things you accumulate in the industry, thought it was past time to drink the bastard.

Have said before I'm no massive Penfolds fan but I do usually think the 407 is the sleeper of the Bin range along with the 138. It never used to get the love of the 28/128 and the 389 but I think it's normally more worthwhile than they are.

Thought this would be f**ked. It's not? which is pretty amazing in a way, given I am having to pour it through a sieve to filter out Penfolds standard useless cork. It's past it's best though, of course, but actually not by a long way.

It still smells great. Blackcurrants and blackberries, eucalyptus, black tea. Tastes much the same (if a little flat and sharp on the finish) but with some black olives and chocolate cedar oak as it opens up. Glad I opened it tbh

Bazal

Post Whore
2015 Shaw & Smith Shiraz. Adelaide Hills. Hands down one of my fave/go to SA shiraz, it belts most of the barely disguised ports from the Barossa. They press part of the crush in whole bunches, which I love.

Dark berries, purple more than black - mulberry or boysenberry? Licorice, anise, clovey black spice chai. A little cured meat savouriness, not strong though, like a capocollo or something mild like that crusted in black pepper. It finishes with a berry flourish into a very savoury, long, finely tannic end.

I'd pick it over almost any similarly priced Barossa.

Bazal

Post Whore
Oh no where will I get Laphroaig Lore now FFS??

Reading the news with my current employment background it looks like there's been some dodgy shiz going on.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Oh no where will I get Laphroaig Lore now FFS??

Reading the news with my current employment background it looks like there's been some dodgy shiz going on.

I was doing some consulting there. Stu got handed a turd to polish. A fair bit happened there. If we ever beer on together I'll tell you all about it.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Never heard of Kaddy before, what was their deal?
Delivery of stock to small independents direct from producer. They're apparently looking to trade through it but it's gonna be tough. I can't see them getting through.
VinoMofo is one that hurts me on a personal level. I use it a bit
Yeah. They're desperately hanging on. Its not over yet, but its looking pretty grim.