What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wine thread

Bazal

Post Whore
Jim Barry "The Nurse Series" Cab Sauv 2020. Without any evidence, I am assuming that this is a charitable version of "The Cover Drive" as $1 per sale goes to the McGrath Foundation.

Very grippy, particularly since this is Clare Valley Cabernet and not Coonawarra. Though this wine doesn't have Brett it does have a "9V battery" flavour to it which is very offputting. Graphite and liquorice make up the rest of the flavour notes with a very long finish.

Thank goodness this has a charitable portion to it, otherwise there would be no redeeming feature to it.

Have always hated the Cover Drive cab

Tbh I'm no fan of Clare Reds in general but for an objectively good winery AND my favourite cricket shot the Cover Drive has never been an enjoyable wine for mine.

I came in here to post about another wine but I'd already reviewed it. But can double down on the Roxanne the Razor Negro/Nero blend. Brilliant little wine

Bazal

Post Whore
St Hallett Blockhead Shiraz Nouveau 2021.

Felt like something easy and yum and this fits the bill. Classic Barossa Shiraz colour, but the nose is much more restrained and pretty. Blue flowers, wild berries ripe on the bush, just a hint of black spices.

Tastes pretty much how it smells. It won't be for everyone - I can see the old heads who want a Barossa Red to be so big and sweet you have to chew it saying it tastes watered down, but I actually like that. It's got all the right flavours but done with some restraint. Jammy and fruit driven but not heavy.

I guess if you've ever wanted a Barossa Shiraz that was more like some of those absolutely neckable red varietals, this is the one. I rate it.

Personally I think this is a great marketing move for the future too. With so many great varietals out there now, and so many different styles, I feel like people have steadily been moving away from huge jammy old school reds.

They say it works with a couple of ice cubes in summer as well. Might be a bridge too far but I can definitely see it handling a good chill by the BBQ

Bazal

Post Whore
2013 Pooley Cooinda Vale Pinot - Coal River Valley, Tassie.

Smells like hibiscus tea, or maybe dried rose petal and black tea, slightly sappy cherry from the small percentage of whole bunches, a little bit of mossy earth.

It's just. So. Silky. Good pinot has a sense of purity in the mouth, and this definitely hits that mark. Clean, bright cherry, dark and almost sweet. Rose water, but as an aromatic high note, not in a cloying sense. A little clove, Szechuan pepper, and a savoury tea acidity on the finish.

Unlikely to be able to find the 2013 but I highly recommend grabbing a current vintage if you see it around (albeit over $50)

Drew-Sta

Staff member
@Drew-Sta 's Monty. Which I think is the last of the mixed six pack? Have lost count.

I like it. It's just really easy, but it's also not basic or boring. Some red fruits, slightly tart rather than sweet. Starts to lean a little darker as it goes down. Cocoa powder, a clean little savoury line that feels a little herby and meaty. For almost all of these I think the tannic structure has been really good.

If I was to be critical I'd say that it's probably slightly over the odds cost wise for similar examples, but honestly I'm lucky enough that I don't care so much about 5 bucks here and there if I enjoy the wine, and it does have a character of its' own so it wouldn't stop me buying again
Yeah, the prices were set with the idea of discounting down.

We're making some changes for next vintage but its been a steep learning curve.

Bazal

Post Whore
1847 Vineyards Grand Pappy Shiraz 2017.

Was a VinoMofo black market deal that I guessed wrong. Again. Lol. 45 bucks a bottle instead of 320 allegedly (winery website does say 320 to be fair). Tasted over two days to do it justice.

Day one it was very closed, obviously. Cooler vintage Barossa as well as being built for the cellar. After 6 hours or so it starts to open up. Big fruit even for a cool vintage, but crunchier tart cherry and damson rather than jammy. It's still very tight, strong acid and tannins. Clearly cellar worthy.

Day two is probably showing properly. The fruit is more relaxed and a little jammier, but still crunchy. Joined by some earthy leather and sandalwood notes. Pepper, clove, allspice. Tannin and acid is still powerful.

Would I pay $320 for it? Heck no. But if I was back in a shop and a rep was flogging it in the 200s I wouldn't question it so for 50 bucks a pop I'm very happy. The black market deals haven't ever disappointed me tbh

And at the other end of the price scale:

Teusner "The Riebke" Shiraz 2019. As all of us who have worked in retail know, when a winery changes their labels the wine automatically turns to shit; just ask any customer. This however, seems to have managed to buck the trend...

Classic Barossa Shiraz that just screams to be drunk over and over. Very approachable, not overpowering/heavyweight like some Barossa Shiraz can be (I did have a glass poured for about an hour before drinking). Dark currants, black peppercorns, sage & rosemary, good tannin structure and with a nice long finish. I would not want to lie this down though, I think it's drinking well now and additional cellaring would not be of much benefit.

Scala Ciro Rosso 2019. Italian wine from the Calabria region using 100% Gaglioppo, a grape I had never heard of before. Doing some research (Wikipedia), it is a cross between Sangiovese and a grape called Mantonico Bianco (another grape I've never heard of before).

You can tell the Sangiovese parentage, pours out the colour of red brick and has a solid sour cherry hit. Much more grippy than Sangiovese yet with a faster finish. Very herbatious, particularly sage and parsley, and even a lick of aluminium. Solid drinker, though I'm sure back in Calabria it isn't the equivelant of $30.

YoHadrian

Juniors
Me & the missus picked this up from the "cellar door" in the Hunter Valley as have bought it before & always goes down well with us & with other people. Easy to drink goes with anything. Bought a dozen bottles.

40464-1.png

Misanthrope

Staff member
I've been really enjoying having access to such unique wines here in Georgia. While my wife is a big fan of the dry, red saperavi, I'm more fond of the semi-sweet tvisihi (white) and kinzmarauli (red).

Was in Greece last week and the wine there wasn't half bad either!

Bazal

Post Whore
I've been really enjoying having access to such unique wines here in Georgia. While my wife is a big fan of the dry, red saperavi, I'm more fond of the semi-sweet tvisihi (white) and kinzmarauli (red).

Was in Greece last week and the wine there wasn't half bad either!

You probs know all about it living there but Georgia is where wine was invented, really. They also have a really cool natural wine scene.

Saperavi is a cracking grape IMO and we're starting to see more if it in Aus, which is good.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Oh yeah, they're not shy about reminding you at all. They literally gave us a bottle of wine upon arrival back in 2020.

The natural amber wines are quite good - my wife loves them - and it's not uncommon to drink a few litres per person at a good Georgian supra.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Deep Woods Cabernet Merlot 2016.

Cracked open the bottle to go with spag bol tonight, wishing i would have saved it for something more special dinner wise than a spag bol but thought i would have a decent bottle in memory of my mother. Beautiful plummy and blackcurrent notes coming through, so smooth, loving it.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
1847 Vineyards Grand Pappy Shiraz 2017.

Was a VinoMofo black market deal that I guessed wrong. Again. Lol. 45 bucks a bottle instead of 320 allegedly (winery website does say 320 to be fair). Tasted over two days to do it justice.

Day one it was very closed, obviously. Cooler vintage Barossa as well as being built for the cellar. After 6 hours or so it starts to open up. Big fruit even for a cool vintage, but crunchier tart cherry and damson rather than jammy. It's still very tight, strong acid and tannins. Clearly cellar worthy.

Day two is probably showing properly. The fruit is more relaxed and a little jammier, but still crunchy. Joined by some earthy leather and sandalwood notes. Pepper, clove, allspice. Tannin and acid is still powerful.

Would I pay $320 for it? Heck no. But if I was back in a shop and a rep was flogging it in the 200s I wouldn't question it so for 50 bucks a pop I'm very happy. The black market deals haven't ever disappointed me tbh

Looks like BoozeBud will buy Vino too.

And at the other end of the price scale:

Teusner "The Riebke" Shiraz 2019. As all of us who have worked in retail know, when a winery changes their labels the wine automatically turns to shit; just ask any customer. This however, seems to have managed to buck the trend...

Classic Barossa Shiraz that just screams to be drunk over and over. Very approachable, not overpowering/heavyweight like some Barossa Shiraz can be (I did have a glass poured for about an hour before drinking). Dark currants, black peppercorns, sage & rosemary, good tannin structure and with a nice long finish. I would not want to lie this down though, I think it's drinking well now and additional cellaring would not be of much benefit.

Kym's a good bloke. Wouldn't ever compromise his wines. I never liked his original labels; his new one is better but the wine quality is always there.

His Dog Strangler mataro is a personal favourite. Can hardly find it now.

--

@Bazal & @Scott Gourley's Lovechild - Prometheus unlikely to continue thanks to our lovely friends at Endeavour (who I am now back working for and I loathe myself for being there).

China has wrecked the market. I've never heard more grape growers pulling or wineries in distressed financial states in the 10 years I've been here.

Endeavour are killing the market. They're now selling wholesale into independents with a Robert Oatley agreement. Yes, you read that right. You can't make this shit up.

Bazal

Post Whore
Footy season = wine season

2012 Printhie Swift Family Heritage red blend.

85% Cabernet 15% Shiraz. All fruit from high altitude Orange vineyards, not "Central Highlands", 15 months on oak and then cellared 8 years before release.

On opening it doesn't smell or taste like a decade old wine. It's all perfumed blackberries and cherry. Once it breathes a little though the age comes out a little more. The fruit hangs around, but it softens and gets brambly, backed up by christmas spice, leather, a little stoney earth and cigar tobacco. The tannins are still very much there, lean and tight on the back end, and because it's cool climate fruit it stays medium bodied and structured.

For me it's perfect now to 2025 but will go another decade for those who like more age. Great wine. Worth the price.

Bazal

Post Whore
2021 Grove Estate Montepulciano

I think they've grafted part of the old family vineyards, with vines from the 1860s, to Monte but I'm not 100% sure. I do know it's made by Bryan Martin (Ravensworth & Clonakilla).

This is just a great wine. Medium bodied but with no sharp edges, just rounded and ridiculously easy to drink. Which is what Monte should be IMO. It does have an elegant quality to it because it's so well made. Beautiful vibrant red, nose is dusty sweet cherries and violets, maybe a little savoury leather/tobacco.

It tastes like sweet and sour cherries and mulberry, sweet on the front and tart at the back which makes it crunchy and moreish. Over the palate you also get a little crackly dried herb character and some of that tobacco leaf. Just a really good wine to drink.

Bazal

Post Whore
2021 Logan Clementine Blushing Minnie.

Triple pinot blend - Noir, Meunier and Gris. Really cool. I chilled it for pizza/35 degree heat at 5pm still. Obviously a light red, cloudy purple. Strawberry, cherry, a really fragrant cassia bark type of woody spice, that natural wine texture and ends on bright crunchy acid that almost flirts with like a raspberry vinegar note. Ridiculously easy to drink

Latest posts