What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wine thread

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Yeah that's about what I expected... although NGL I wish I could get any Sorby Adams wine for $8.72 lol. Looks like I was pretty close to spot on with the Rod Easthope.

It's always stuck with me, so I remember the Cradle Bay Sav Blanc that's always 6 for 36 at Coles (or used to be) was $2.72 landed. And it sold for $15 at First Choice. More at LL I think.

Agree re Sorby lol.

Yeah, the Cradle Bay SB sounds like Tier 4 blend. Which is basically straight from the cats litter box straight to the bottle. There were a few parcels back in... I'm going to say v14 - v17 where some big volumes of bulk were going very, very cheap. Frank Tate was selling me a Marl SB for $4.5++ which was extraordinary for me at the time. I remember blasting over the phone at $12.99 and making 50 points on it inc BDF.

Better times...

Bazal

Post Whore
Agree re Sorby lol.

Yeah, the Cradle Bay SB sounds like Tier 4 blend. Which is basically straight from the cats litter box straight to the bottle. There were a few parcels back in... I'm going to say v14 - v17 where some big volumes of bulk were going very, very cheap. Frank Tate was selling me a Marl SB for $4.5++ which was extraordinary for me at the time. I remember blasting over the phone at $12.99 and making 50 points on it inc BDF.

Better times...

Tbh on quality I'd say Tier 4 is generous lol

But people lap it up ofc. Well, they did. I haven't even cared enough to walk into a First Choice since I left. Apart from once to buy an Ardbeg about 2-3 years ago

horrie hastings

First Grade
Tbh on quality I'd say Tier 4 is generous lol

But people lap it up ofc. Well, they did. I haven't even cared enough to walk into a First Choice since I left. Apart from once to buy an Ardbeg about 2-3 years ago

Yes but as you say people still lap it up, really though in our shop the demand Cradle Bay has really dropped off, currently on special for $8, it seems to move only if we run out of Story Bay Sav Blanc Sem .
I love Drew -Sta's summary of it, straight from the cat litter tray to the bottle, so spot on.
I have cut down my hours to two days a week now and do the odd Sunday shift as extras, just no interest in the company anymore , just gives me enough play money till i retire which is not far off, just have to really use up my sick leave before then.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Yes but as you say people still lap it up, really though in our shop the demand Cradle Bay has really dropped off, currently on special for $8, it seems to move only if we run out of Story Bay Sav Blanc Sem .
I love Drew -Sta's summary of it, straight from the cat litter tray to the bottle, so spot on.
I have cut down my hours to two days a week now and do the odd Sunday shift as extras, just no interest in the company anymore , just gives me enough play money till i retire which is not far off, just have to really use up my sick leave before then.

So one day per week as you use the sick leave? ;)

Spent a weekend in Clare Valley. A lot of farmers hurting right now. They're adapting best they can but its been tough.

Managed to score a bottle of Mitchell's McNichol Shiraz v10. Still quite young.

Bazal

Post Whore
2013 Rockford Moppa Springs GSM

To be totally honest, I knew I had this but forgot to drink it. Lol. So it's at the back end of its' best. Have had others ofc so NBD. I don't mind experimenting with the odd bottle laid down "too long", accidentally or on purpose.

Super dark fruit, blackberry, black cherries and dark plums. Dried fig. Dark chocolate. It still has tannins, which feel a bit like Early Grey tea, and it finishes savoury and gamey with acidity still there. Glad I drank it now, very tasty, if you happen to have any I'd get through them this year personally.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Did a Pinot Noir tasting bracket last week on Friday. Had the By Farr, Mt Mary and Bass Phillip. They were nice.

But just reaffirmed that I'm not a Pinot Noir drinker.

Bazal

Post Whore
Man I've grown to love pinot. It's probably my go-to 'standard' red varietal these days (along with cool climate shiraz anyway).

I get why it's a bit polarising though. Without meaning to be wanky, I do think it's more a brain on wine. Like, good pinot is more enjoyable when I sit there and pick it apart, but sometimes I just want to drink a good wine without doing that. If i just want a good drink I almost never go for it.

And obviously, casual wine drinkers won't be doing that at all. I feel the same about cabernet in a way tbh, although I like it less than pinot

Bazal

Post Whore
Vintner's Daughter 2021 Syrah.

Classssssic Canberra syrah. Clean dark fruits and loads of sappy green peppercorn on the nose. Blackberry, sour cherries, pepper, cured meat, and that sort of acid finish that always presents like an apple to me. Super good.

Latest posts