What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wing out to launch bid for NSW No.7

Penance

Juniors
http://www.nrl.com/News/Latest/NewsArticle/tabid/76/NewsId/7724/Default.aspx

Wing out to launch bid for NSW No.7

Monday, January 14, 2008 - 4:47 PM

Star South Sydney recruit Craig Wing is ready to shake off his utility tag and stake a claim for the NSW halfback jersey in the upcoming NRL season.
Returning to the Rabbitohs after eight seasons with the Sydney Roosters, Wing, 28, is set for a permanent switch to the halves under coach Jason Taylor.
He impressed in a stint at No.7 for the Roosters last season and is hoping the chance to play consistently in one position can help resurrect his representative career.
Wing has made 10 State of Origin and 16 Test appearances, mostly off the bench or at hooker.

Since Andrew Johns' retirement no player has been able to make the NSW halfback spot their own and strong early-season form would put Wing firmly in the mix with other candidates including Jarrod Mullen, Matt Orford and Brett Kimmorley.
"Looking back across my career, because I've had that utility thing and I've played a number of positions every year, I've found it quite hard to sort of compete for a (representative) starting spot in any one position," Wing told AAP.
"But if that (the NSW halfback spot) does come around then it would be something that would definitely be a highlight of my career.

"I really enjoyed my stint in the halves at the Roosters and certainly something I'm looking forward to for this year."
Wing was overlooked for last year's series despite his strong form with the Roosters but said the omission had only made him hungrier.

"Last year on my form I was kind of hopeful that I might be a chance of making the NSW team and was hoping the selectors hadn't forgotten about me," Wing said.
"I felt I had a good year last year and finished off the end of the year better and better so if I can continue that this year than certainly I'm in contention to play rep footy again."
Wing, along with Souths co-captains Roy Asotasi and David Kidwell, helped official launch the Rabbitohs' upcoming promotional visit to the US, during which they will play a trial match against world club champions Leeds in Jacksonville, Florida on January 26.
The tour, run as part of the G'Day USA: Australia Week promotion, is designed to promote both rugby league and Sydney as a tourist destination.

But it will also include a 10-day training camp at the University of North Florida and Wing said it would be a crucial part of the Rabbitohs' pre-season.
"Going over there I don't think we're looking at it as all fun and games," Wing said.
"It's going to be a great trip and a great experience but we're also going to be very mindful of the fact that once the new year ticks over, before you know it you're playing the first game of the season.
"There's certainly a lot more work to be covered before the season starts."

Source: AAP

STSAE

Juniors
The guy cant organise, pass or kick.

NSW would get hammered if they went with Ping at 1/2.:crazy:

:lol: :lol:

Danish

Referee
And I suppose it will be Fittler's fault as assistant coach when he is innevitably not picked in the squad :lol:

TBH though NSW are very slim in the halfback stakes when it gets to SOO level. Kimmorley does ok, Mullen was crap and the rest are untried. Wing has plenty of SOO experience and if he gets off to a flyer I can actually see something like this coming to fruition. Wing is a hell of a lot better than people give him credit for, and I was completely against him leaving.

Gee_Up

Juniors
Can't think of a stand out for the number 7 jersey.

Since when has the NSW side been picked on form? If Farah or Laffranchi can't get picked, Wing will find it tough getting a run no matter how well he plays.

Gee_Up

Juniors
Danish said:
And I suppose it will be Fittler's fault as assistant coach when he is innevitably not picked in the squad :lol:

TBH though NSW are very slim in the halfback stakes when it gets to SOO level. Kimmorley does ok, Mullen was crap and the rest are untried. Wing has plenty of SOO experience and if he gets off to a flyer I can actually see something like this coming to fruition. Wing is a hell of a lot better than people give him credit for, and I was completely against him leaving.

I think Freddy's input would benefit Wing more than anything. He himself knows what Wing can produce. He moved Craig back to the 7 didn't he last season?

when the roosters won the comp - who was their half back?

i dont mind wing at 7, and up against orford, kimmorley, mullen, i think he stands up really well.

Danish

Referee
Certainly did.

However that wont stop some niave souths fans from bringing it up I am sure. Common sense is never a strong point between the Easts/Souths fundamentalists

Raider_69

Post Whore
the future for the NSW halves is Mullen - Carney, for me, so long as both are fit and are in reasonable form, we might aswell go with it from game one and let them gain some experience, which of them plays #7 is the only question in my mind.

Raider_69 said:
the future for the NSW halves is Mullen - Carney, for me, so long as both are fit and are in reasonable form, we might aswell go with it from game one and let them gain some experience, which of them plays #7 is the only question in my mind.

carney?

the kid hasnt fully cemented a FG spot yet.

hes got potential, so does mullen, buts that all they have

Walt Flanigan

Referee
dallymessenger said:
when the roosters won the comp - who was their half back?

i dont mind wing at 7, and up against orford, kimmorley, mullen, i think he stands up really well.

Brisbane won the comp with Perry at halfback not even 2 years ago. I don't think he's pushing for QLD selection.

adamkungl

Immortal
Mullen was thrown in too young in a poor NSW side. Both him and Anasta suffered from the forwards getting slaughtered by a much more enthusiastic QLD side.

Raider_69

Post Whore
dallymessenger said:
carney?

the kid hasnt fully cemented a FG spot yet.

hes got potential, so does mullen, buts that all they have

Hasnt cemented a FG spot? Mate he'd be second picked behind Alan Tongue every week for canberra, dunno what you're talking about there

Gee_Up

Juniors
I'm not convinced Wing is an organiser. In saying that- with a star studded NSW back line with the likes of Gasnier and Hayne I'd want the halfback to just distribute the ball quickly and offer a decent kicking game for field position.

Would I be confident with a Wing/Anasta halves combination? It would depend on the forwards picked. If we continue to pick soft forwards like Ryan, Kite and Hindmarsh over animals like Gallen, O'Donnell and O'Meley then we'll be in trouble again no matter the halves we pick.

Walt Flanigan said:
Brisbane won the comp with Perry at halfback not even 2 years ago. I don't think he's pushing for QLD selection.

Queensland have thurson and prince ahead of him

the contenders in front of wing are who again?

how many origin games has perry played?