What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wing out to launch bid for NSW No.7

Gee_Up said:
I think with O'Donnell and Gasnier back, O'Meley not injured and Gallen and Bird being selected again we will be a much tougher side to beat. We just need a halfback who can give us field position and offer decent 5th tackle options.

I like Farah/Mullen/Carney for 2009 and beyond for our 9/7/6 if they continue to impress- let's wait and see who puts runs on the board though (not that they seem to count with the selectors choosing the "good old boys club" each year).

are you for serious ???

O'Donnell ill give ya credit for, but O'Meley, he has got to be one of the most laziest forwards in the game.

Gasnier gets an automatic selection, the last two years that he has been on the field hasnt been what he is talked up to be, I wouldnt rate him in the top 5 centres anymore to be honest. I barely rate him anymore to be honest

Really who does Carney and Mullen have to compete with that has NRL experience within the next 2 or 3 seasons (youngsters im talking) ? its inconclusive. Carney and Mullen are fair strides below what Queensland got to play with. Id take Inglis and Thurston anyday in a halves combination (after locky retires), Tim Smith, Cooper Cronk and Michael Witt are there too, if they can produce the football to gain selection for the Maroons, Im talking players that will be definately around in the next 5 years.

Michael Witt is the half i rate the least out of all the queensland halves, but I have seen more assurances from him that he is ready for state of origin than i have with Carney and Mullen.

Rainbow

Juniors
So in what order are the NSW halfbacks?

1. Kimmorley
2. Mullen
3. Orford
4. Wing
5. Carney
6. ???

What is the order?

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Rainbow said:

1. Kimmorley
2. Mullen
3. Orford
4. Wing
5. Carney
6. ???

What is the order?

I'd go

1. Kimmorley
2. Carney (although I see him more as a 5/8)
3. Mullen
4. Orford
5. Finch
6. Wing

Im all for throwing Mullen and Carney into the halves this year.
No matter who gets selected QLD are likely to outplay them anyway and when Lockyer retires the NSW halves (Carney, Mullen) may have more experience than their rivals.

Dave Q

Coach
Gasnier was looking ominous on his return, he is a genuine class player and 5/8. He is a playmaker and athlete of the highest standard.

At hb Wing will be disspointed that the NSW pack are not as strong or enterprising as his regular Souths outfit.

Otherwise Bird must figure in the selectors whispers. An outstanding 2007, we all enjoyed his work.

imasharkie said:
:lol: :lol:

A Canberra supporter calling for a Canberra player to be the NSW half. now that's something different. A bit like the call for Tongue to be in the NSW side last year and that came from a Canberra supporter too.

:lol: :lol:

Apples dont fall far from the tree when you lot think greg bird is a decent 5/8

Dave Q said:
Gasnier was looking ominous on his return, he is a genuine class player and 5/8. He is a playmaker and athlete of the highest standard.

At hb Wing will be disspointed that the NSW pack are not as strong or enterprising as his regular Souths outfit.

Otherwise Bird must figure in the selectors whispers. An outstanding 2007, we all enjoyed his work.

:? :lol::? :lol:

Monk

Referee
idk wat ppl are talking about... kimmorly/bird or wing/bird should be the halves...
also they should pick el masri again after his form in SOO 3...
and lets hope they dont pick lyon...

OVP

Coach
Anyway the season hasnt even started yet ... who's to say who or not will be in form ?

There was one game last year ... Canberra vs Newcastle. The halfback Dobson had a HUGE game. I thought wow, look at this guy, he could be anything. Who knows he may even make it one day ... what do u Canberra fans think of him ?

OVP said:
Anyway the season hasnt even started yet ... who's to say who or not will be in form ?

There was one game last year ... Canberra vs Newcastle. The halfback Dobson had a HUGE game. I thought wow, look at this guy, he could be anything. Who knows he may even make it one day ... what do u Canberra fans think of him ?

Saw some moments of brilliance, has a good step, fairly nimble around the rucks, and when the boots are on, his kicking game is brilliant aswell, defence was his major letdown last year, one of those players who goes into a shell if he makes a mistake or two, hoping for a big year from him

Bman26

Juniors
Monk: El Masri? am i the only one who thought he was average at best in SOO3. ALL the other backs gained 100+ metres, he made 71, 2 of the other backs over DOUBLED him in metres gained, he wasnt good out of dummy half, he didnt provide an awful lot besides goal kicking imo.

Gee_Up

Juniors
Rabbitohs2005 said:
are you for serious ???

O'Donnell ill give ya credit for, but O'Meley, he has got to be one of the most laziest forwards in the game.

Gasnier gets an automatic selection, the last two years that he has been on the field hasnt been what he is talked up to be, I wouldnt rate him in the top 5 centres anymore to be honest. I barely rate him anymore to be honest

Really who does Carney and Mullen have to compete with that has NRL experience within the next 2 or 3 seasons (youngsters im talking) ? its inconclusive. Carney and Mullen are fair strides below what Queensland got to play with. Id take Inglis and Thurston anyday in a halves combination (after locky retires), Tim Smith, Cooper Cronk and Michael Witt are there too, if they can produce the football to gain selection for the Maroons, Im talking players that will be definately around in the next 5 years.

Michael Witt is the half i rate the least out of all the queensland halves, but I have seen more assurances from him that he is ready for state of origin than i have with Carney and Mullen.

O'Meley is a top Prop though injuries and suspensions are following him now. I'd still take him in SOO before Kite or White.

I'd take Gasnier over every other Centre in the game including Hayne, Hodges, Folau or anyone else you can think of.

WHy compare Mullen/Carney to QLD?
We are discussing viable options from the NSW ranks.

Gee_Up

Juniors
OVP said:

Dobson I rate as good potential as well. Off contract at the end of '08 as well OVP.. I can hear Polly and Rusty playing noughts and crosses over who signs him :D

lucablight

First Grade
Surprised no one has mentioned Matthew Head. If he can play like he did in 2004 he would be first pick for halfback IMO.

Rainbow said:

1. Kimmorley
2. Mullen
3. Orford
4. Wing
5. Carney
6. ???

What is the order?

1. kimmorley
2. orford
3. wing
4. carney
5. mullen

michael monaghan wouldve gone allright at origin.

orford has a big job next year at manly carrying them without monaghan

Dave Q said:

gas is playing centre for the dragons so no more 5/8th for him

Gee_Up said:
O'Meley is a top Prop though injuries and suspensions are following him now. I'd still take him in SOO before Kite or White.

I'd take Gasnier over every other Centre in the game including Hayne, Hodges, Folau or anyone else you can think of.

WHy compare Mullen/Carney to QLD?
We are discussing viable options from the NSW ranks.

nsw were crazy not picking omeeley

lockyer retires, queensland can put thurston at 6, and prince at 7, a better combo than thurston and lockyer.

tim smith and cooper cronk in reserve, and inglis