What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wingers for 2020+

SnowDragon

Juniors
A lot of recent forum chat is on our lack of wingers

Today’s game v the dogs was nice To watch but it makes things confusing for me.

Pearson impressed me today, and Rava had his best game to date. That said, I still think Jordan is our best winger, but both rava and Pearson have more potential, and Saab could be an absolute superstar.

So one game doesn’t change it all, and we may be weak in wingers, but with enough potential to make me think we spend our recruitment dollars elsewhere (pack?).

So interested in people’s thought. Assuming we can’t arrange a roosters salary cap, where do we spend limited recruitment dollars?
Wingers? Centers? Fullback? Pack? (I assume hooker and halves aren’t an issue atm).

Frank Facer

First Grade

Pearson impressed me today, and Rava had his best game to date. That said, I still think Jordan is our best winger, but both rava and Pearson have more potential, and Saab could be an absolute superstar.

So one game doesn’t change it all, and we may be weak in wingers, but with enough potential to make me think we spend our recruitment dollars elsewhere (pack?).

So interested in people’s thought. Assuming we can’t arrange a roosters salary cap, where do we spend limited recruitment dollars?
Wingers? Centers? Fullback? Pack? (I assume hooker and halves aren’t an issue atm).
Rava does show promise, but he has to learn to take the high ball.

Rufus has previously suggested the idea of giving Rava a run a centre. I wouldn't mind seeing how it would go.

SnowDragon

Juniors
Rava does show promise, but he has to learn to take the high ball.

Rufus has previously suggested the idea of giving Rava a run a centre. I wouldn't mind seeing how it would go.

Wouldn’t have thought it a good idea until the latest match, but he did a few things that say maybe... if he gets dropped to reserves, they should try him in the centres!

SnowDragon

Juniors
Seems like some hard decisions need to be made on keeping certain players, and developing others. Then find the gaps and fill?

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I’m not sure if I should response to the thread title or the question posed in the OP...
Agree..

I’ll go with the thread question..

Definitely the pack. Our backs can play well when they have space.

Our starting forwards are great but the four three two blokes we use to come on afterwards provide all the starch of a wet paper bag..

And throw injuries, origin and court cases into the mix and our depth just isn’t there..

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I too think Rava may be a very good centre prospect, similar to Suili at Manly. Aitken has to go and the sooner the better.

Fullback is the other position that needs addressing and I think Lomax will be our longvterm fullback. Dufty has too many deficiencies to make it a long term position.

Moving forward back 5:
1. Lomax - playing the Ponga type fullback role.
2. Pearson
3. Rava
4. Lafai
5. JP/Saab

rasaint

Juniors
Lomax is a centre and a good one on the right side.He is not a slow but lacks high end speed of the top fullbacks. For all the criticism ( some justified of course) Dufty’s speed was a big factor in the Pearson try. Flew from further in on a wide arc to catch the pass and launch Pearson with a nice crisp pass.

RufusRex

Post Whore
Ravalawa is a football player ... knows how to use the ball and create .. all about growing up as a kid playing rugby sevens. That ball he threw was top shelf and he has shown ball playing ability several times this year ... One big pass earlier in the year right to left to find norman maybe for a try assist in one of our wins plus his effort in putting Pereira away only to get the ball back again and be bundled into touch.

There is more upside in him as a centre than Aitken ever showed.

Last edited:

The calm one

Juniors

No wingers will be coming here

Twenty10

Juniors
A
Ravalawa is a football player ... knows how to use the ball and create .. all about growing up as a kid playing rugby sevens. That ball he through was top shelf and he has shown ball playing ability several times this year ... One big pass earlier in the year right to left to find norman maybe for a try assist in one of our wins plus his effort in putting Pereira away only to get the ball back again and be bundled into touch.

There is more upside in him as a centre than Aitken ever showed.
A footballer who can’t catch??

possm

Coach

Fullback and centres are more likely than wingers for SGI. I like the idea of Lomax at fullback and noticed Pearson and Rava have lifted their game. Mary is now selecting:
1. Dufty
2. Pearson
3. Lomax
4. Aitken
5. Rava

Before Lafai returns, maybe we could try Pearson at 4 and Pereira at 5. Although I am really happy with Pearson remaining on the left wing. I feel he will become a very good first grader this year.

With some player contracts being extended this year, It is likely that there will be little change unless some players are dropped to CC and then request a release. So dropping players like Aitken and Dufty to reserve grade may just cause their managers to find another club before June 30.

BLM01

First Grade
Yes the OP thread question.
We will swap Aitken (another club) and free up cash for a couple of forwards. A JDB replacement and if the Dragons dont see the Kerr, Timm, Allgoods or Blacker's (still young) of the world our immediate 1st grade future then we need another 2 props, a depth centre after Aitken goes and a fullback back up for Dufty.
Lats and Graham to retire
Field wont make it in 1st grade now or ever. Just my opinion

Now to the thread. I will just do 2020. Rav, Pearson, Periera, Saab...take your pick of them 4.
Saab will be our 29th player very soon?. Who will be 30th?

Saab will lock down one wing in the next 18 months and I think the other Pearson or jp most likely jp soz rava I just don’t think he has the footy brain could be shot after his last game but we only played bullfrogs

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I think you'll find Lomax is the present...
I remember only 2 years ago Dufty was the future..

And now he’s the past...

Man, we sure churn through our expectations pretty quickly in here..