What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Withers signs?

jed

First Grade
Guys, if you'll forgive me, I'll wait until I see the press release from Raiders HQ - I've been hurt too many times by stories I've seen on the news this season.

Kris_man

Bench
jed said:
Guys, if you'll forgive me, I'll wait until I see the press release from Raiders HQ - I've been hurt too many times by stories I've seen on the news this season.
you're forgiven :lol:

Edwahu

Bench
10 said we signed Kite remember.

I wonder how Withers will be used if we do sign him. It might be hard for him to make the 17, unless they are going to sit Carney in reggies for a while longer.

Kris_man

Bench
Edwahu said:
I wonder how Withers will be used if we do sign him. It might be hard for him to make the 17, unless they are going to sit Carney in reggies for a while longer.
they'll all get their shot, as injuries are inevitable. and from what i know about J smith, there should be suspensions too.

azza

Juniors
The Dragons/Jubilee forum http://groups.msn.com/WorldofRugbyL...e=317395&LastModified=4675490939354895826 is usually pretty good with this stuff. They reckoned he has signed with Canberra.

I must admit this doesn't surprise me, as I doubt the club would have put something up on its website saying it had room for one more signing unless it was confident Withers was going to be signed.

As has already been said, however, I wouldn't be taking anything too seriously until we get official confirmation. A good replacement for Woolford but we still need Carney to step up

raiders_boy

Juniors
I agree with Jed... I'll be waiting til i get official confirmation, before i get too excited.

What exactly will we do with him? will he play a similar role to brad drew? or can he play at no.6

If he can play at 6 i think we should use him there, as Jason Croker doesn't offer us enough in attack, and withers is a competent defender.

Good signing if its true... if its not, im gonna be heart broken

peter_raiders

Juniors
Ok well i think he is a good signing but how are we going to fit Withers, J.Smith, Mclinden, Carney and Campese in the 17 each week? personally if we didn't sign Withers i'd like to see

6. J.Smith
7. Carney

11. Croker
13. Campese

17. Mclinden

Kris_man

Bench
to me, Campo's not good enough yet, sorry. and unfortunately, i feel that even if we don't get Withers, there's little room for Carney in the side next year (although i'd love to see otherwise). in all likelihood, J Smith will be halfback with Macca 5/8. i guess, though, there will be injuries and that will provide opportunity for Carney and others. but Withers is a top signing. if there's anything i've learnt from the Roosters, its this: when a good player's on the market, you go out and get him, even if it seems at the moment that you don't need a player in that position.

peter_raiders

Juniors
Yeah i said in my opinion. He might not be good now so we have to build him up to be a better player. Disagree with me if want but next year will not be a year to expect big things from the Raiders so why not use it as the year which helps bring stability and experience to our lineup. Who knows it may prove to be a success. Campo's kicking game, Carney and Smith's play making skills could prove to be the difference between the 2004 Raiders and 2005 Raiders. And if not then look forward to having a youthful and experienced 06 side i say.

nacho

Juniors
They must be considering shifting Smith to lock maybe.

A ball playing lock is the common solution to a stacked up backline.

Anasta, Daley, Fittler... even Barrett a couple of times have played lock.

Not sure if it's the RIGHT answer, but it's the only way they can fit everyone in for now.

Although, Smith is getting old now, depends if he can take the hits.

Not sure really, but it's a nicer problem to have than trying to stretch 8 tallented players across 13 jerseys right? :)

(Maybe even the centres is an option)

deluded pom?

Coach
The way Elliott`s snapping up old Aussies from the ESL are you sure you haven`t signed MICHAEL Withers from the Bradford Bulls ? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Brimmer

Juniors
Well... you'd seriously have to consider withers being a better utility than macca? Withers can play almost anywhere? I think the saints even used him at second row this year?

I'm stoked if this all turns out to be true.

mickyj

Bench
I think the one things whithers wants is to play half back.

A few sides have shown interest in him so i doubt he has signed for nothing.

If he has signed to canberra it would be on GOOD money.

brenno

Juniors
I think withers is more of a 9 myself, he showed at the Tigers that he can't play halfback consistently at NRL level. If the Raiders have signed him then they have an automatic replacement for when germ retires or moves on.

thickos

First Grade
Excellent signing - if true! Fantastic! An ideal utility to come in off the bench, give Germ a rest, or slot into the halves somewhere.

Mark McLinden - now is the time to step up mate, the competition for your spot is increasing...