What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Without a doubt a case for Perth

ed612313

Juniors
Perths population of 1.7 million with a small league supporter base that does nothing but provide an extra tv time slot for Foxtel or PNG with a population of 8.1 million with a monstrous support base like no other country... Yep. No brainer....

ReddFelon

Juniors
Perths population of 1.7 million with a small league supporter base that does nothing but provide an extra tv time slot for Foxtel or PNG with a population of 8.1 million with a monstrous support base like no other country... Yep. No brainer....

Lol, you do realise that only 18% of Papua New Guineas population has access to basic electricity right? Their capital is Port Moresby and that has a population of just 310,000. You think the headhunters in the jungle are going to be lining up for membership packages?

King hit

Coach
Lol, you do realise that only 18% of Papua New Guineas population has access to basic electricity right? Their capital is Port Moresby and that has a population of just 310,000. You think the headhunters in the jungle are going to be lining up for membership packages?

Add in the high crime rate, dangers you would face daily. Cannibals in the forests etc etc etc it's madness to have a PNG team. Nobody would relocate and live there.

The Great Dane

First Grade

Add in the high crime rate, dangers you would face daily. Cannibals in the forests etc etc etc it's madness to have a PNG team. Nobody would relocate and live there.

Add to those that close to 40% of the population is under the poverty line, and the overwhelming majority of the population that is over the poverty line still couldn't afford the luxury of attending a game on a regular basis even if the tickets were to be as cheap as around au$5...

On top of that corruption, infrastructure, basic amenities, etc, etc, are all issues that the NRL and the club it's self would have to face.

The only way I can see it maybe working anytime soon is if the club was based in Australia but played all it's home games in PNG, but if the club did that it'd probably blow out the costs of running the club to an exorbitant level and would probably doom the club to run at an enormous loss (I doubt that the club could be profitable in the first place if I'm being honest...), and the club still probably wouldn't be worth the investment to the NRL it's self when compared to other opportunities that are on the table.

A PNG team is a complete non-starter, and there's nothing that the NRL can really do to change it...

latingringo101

Juniors
The constant big crowds in Perth definitely show there's an appetite for RL there. Yes numbers would fluctuate if they were given a NRL team year in year out but I reckon it'd do wonders for the game there

Billythekid

First Grade
No doubt the sold out SOO which will likely rate very well in Perth will only further cement this. Perth is crying out for a team and the time is right.

King hit

Coach
A Perth team would be great for the game. It would definitely work well from a TV point of view as all their home games would be beamed live into NSW and QLD in prime time slots. Even though it is an AFL city there is support for Rugby League there. I spent a week in Perth 2 years ago and I did notice some league around the place, it wasn't foreign to people there and I came across a few people who were interested in RL.

I think everyone is behind a 2nd team in Perth. If it wasn't for that shit league we would still have the Western Reds. They deserve another crack in Western Australia.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
At the Origin event next year, announce that a Perth team will be entering the NRL in 2022.

AFL is strong in Perth but it seems that they are much more open to other sports than Adelaide and Melbourne.

RoosTah

Juniors
PNG is Rugby League mad, but frankly you're talking about a country where the economy fluctuates wildly based on resource prices, lacks basic critical infrastructure in many places, is widely dispersed (no real central urban hubs to focus on), home to the largest splinterings of human language in existence and suffers from serious security concerns.

They'll be a force in Rugby League one day, but that day will likely be after another 50 years of economic development brings them fully into the modern economy.

Meanwhile, Perth has a population of 2.2 million, not 1.7 million. It's a critical market for Australian broadcasters, in a unique time slot and it has demonstrated a strong appetite for more Rugby League.

Last edited:

Pommy

Coach

lol derp