What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Witt: Keep Working Hard

wittyfan

Referee
Witt: Keep Working Hard

1393562740031.jpg

St George Illawarra Dragons halves hopeful Michael Witt is enthusiastic to share his experience with the up-and-coming players at the Red V.

The Newtown Lions junior joins the Club boasting over 175 first-grade appearances for five Clubs across both the NRL and Super League.

Witt, 30, about playing in the NRLis determined to secure a position in the halves but understands he needs to stay focused on improving his game to be considered for the role by Head Coach Steve Price.

“I’ve just been trying to do all I can and putting my hand up to get a position in the halves, but I need to keep working hard and see what Coach says,” said Witt.

“We have a bit to work on, especially in our defence, but we have a few new combinations on the field and we’re still working on a few things in that area; we still have two weeks to be prepared for Round 1.

“I joined the Dragons preseason late but I had been doing a bit of training over in England so I arrived in decent shape.

“The guys here are great, they’ve made me feel welcome.

“My decision to play NRL probably did come a little bit out of the blue but I had four years in the UK and I decided it was time to get back home.

“It is a very young squad we have this year but they are still very experienced; we have some representative players who have been through it all, but I am seen as the old boy.

“The Auckland Nines was outstanding; I think it’s a great concept, the crowd was fantastic, the entire time we were there we were looked after really well and I think the tournament has a big future ahead of it because it was awesome.

“I’ll keep on doing what I’ve been doing, keep working hard and doing what I’m told, keep annoying the Coach and lead from example while offering a bit of experience and mentoring the younger guys.

“My main goal for this year is to play as much first-grade as I can; that’s the whole point and the main reason I came back here, so to be in the 17 would be great.”

Source: http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2014/03/01/witt_keep_working_hard.html