What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wittenbergs Good Health

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
I've heard that our mate Wittenberg has not received the best health news lately and seeing that I've been there myself I thought I would dedicate my 2000th post for Wittenbergs Good Health and to let him know there's plenty of support for him on here.....Don't know him personally and Im sure hes not the type to make a fuss but just wanted to show support...good luck mate......

BrissyRedV

Bench
Great stuff.

I too would like to send my well wishes to Wittenberg as well. Hope all is good and you're back on the forum to share your opinion on how good our form is soon. Good luck buddy.

SBD82

Coach
I've heard that our mate Wittenberg has not received the best health news lately and seeing that I've been there myself I thought I would dedicate my 2000th post for Wittenbergs Good Health and to let him know there's plenty of support for him on here.....Don't know him personally and Im sure hes not the type to make a fuss but just wanted to show support...good luck mate......

Nice gesture. I'll raise my glass to his health.

TruSaint

Referee

Classy post... Thoughts and prayers with Wittenberg ...
Few Saints tragics doing it tough atm.
Thinking of all and their families.

GC Dragon

Juniors
Always enjoyed reading your posts on here Wittenberg looking forward to many many more . Get well soon buddy .

Jubileeboy

First Grade
I echo these thoughts and would like to wish Wittenberg all the very best.
Kick it's arse mate :)

Old Timer

Coach
No doubt our good friend Wittenberg picked his forum name for very good reasons.

If there was such a thing as a St George concise dictionary the definition for Wittenberg would be simply "very tough".

John Wittenberg was great footballer and great bloke originally from Qld.

He chose to leave Qld to join the Dragons at great cost because he was forced to sit out the entire 67 season due to the interstate transfer rule and this cost him a place in the 67 Kangaroo squad.

The 67 tour was unique in many ways.

Reg Gasnier was Captain Coach and broke his leg in the first test in England. The tour of 23 matches was so long that he had the leg set in plaster and actually returned to the field to play a minor game in France late in the tour. Unfortunately he suffered another break which ultimately resulted in his premature retirement at age 28.

Of course the tour featured the infamous bowler hat incident which Johnny Raper was often blamed for but he never agreed or denied it was him and later on Dennis Manteit actually said he was the man in the bowler hat. (Who remembers the add "Jax the ripper tyres with ripper deals")

Wittenberg was a tough and uncompromising footballer and overcame the difficulty of losing several fingers on one hand to achieve national honours.

In a game against the Poms at the SCG Wittenberg was charging through the middle of the Pommy forwards when the mercurial Tommy Bishop jumped up on him to try to bulldog him to the ground. Wittenberg tucked Tommy under one arm and the ball under the other and continued his charge down the field terrorising the Pommy forwards.

Wittenberg suffered a shattered jaw whilst at St George and his head looked like a Meccano set after his jaw was rebuilt.

He turned up at KJO shortly after his surgery and stood in front of the stand sucking a drink through a straw all the time signing autographs and trying to mumble as best he could answers to all the kids questions.

Wittenberg all the very best and no doubt just like big John you are a very tough and very decent fellow.

Wittenberg

Juniors
It's amazing how many people take a journey with you when you hit strife. I remember as a kid driving out of a car park, I presume at Jubilee and while stuck in traffic two Saints players walked past us in their suits with their kit bags. I don't remember who the second player was but Wittenberg was huge and he smiled at me in my Saints gear hanging out the car window. I've never forgotten how proud I felt because he smiled at me. Probably won't get on here too much for a little while but it's funny thinking of guys, who you have never seen or met, as friends. Your thoughts and prayers have made a difference and Old Timer I hope I play my next game as strong as Witt played every game. Thanks all of you. We will beat Melbourne by the way!

TruSaint

Referee
It's amazing how many people take a journey with you when you hit strife. I remember as a kid driving out of a car park, I presume at Jubilee and while stuck in traffic two Saints players walked past us in their suits with their kit bags. I don't remember who the second player was but Wittenberg was huge and he smiled at me in my Saints gear hanging out the car window. I've never forgotten how proud I felt because he smiled at me. Probably won't get on here too much for a little while but it's funny thinking of guys, who you have never seen or met, as friends. Your thoughts and prayers have made a difference and Old Timer I hope I play my next game as strong as Witt played every game. Thanks all of you. We will beat Melbourne by the way!

and YOU will win matey :)

Latest posts