What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Women's Expansion

Dakink

Bench
With the NRLW now established and quality assuredly on the improve how does the game look to expand and improve not only the quality but pathways for more players.

1. Increase to playing each team in a full home away season.
2. 2 (or more) new teams.
3. 40 minute halves

Any or all of the above...

I personally would like to see 2 to 4 new teams pending viability (player number and quality, financial viablitiy of comp and clubs) introduced. Then look at going to full home away season.

Many like to death ride this, but I can really see this increasing female participation in the sport exponentially over the next few years....especially if there are paths to a professional career. These girls are tough, fast and majorly marketable.

Billythekid

First Grade
We need to look at moving to some sort of home and away season and somehow trying to increase the games profile. Right now it feels like the NRLW is treated as a Mickey Mouse sideshow and not a proper comp.

I remember seeing it come up on TV and my wife and her parents were talking about how it’s not a proper comp (they’re also generally massive advocates of women’s sport in general and we attend multiple different sports).

That’s how the game is currently viewed IMO and will continue to be unless we make changes.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The number of teams won't increase in 2020 but I think we're at a point where it should be 6 rounds rather than 3.

One or two more teams in 2021 seems likely.

T-Boon

Coach
The number of teams won't increase in 2020 but I think we're at a point where it should be 6 rounds rather than 3.

One or two more teams in 2021 seems likely.

Is that because the clubs are not interested? If it is a player depth thing I don't get it at all. The Broncos have too much talent.

Tigers1986

Juniors
Wests, Cronulla, Souths and Newcastle have all expressed heavy interest in putting forth teams in 2021. Would be nice growth for the game as a whole for more teams, as the talent pool is there. Home and away fixtures is a must for the 4 teams next year, gives more legitimacy to the Dally M award and qualifying for the final

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Ask anyone and they'll say we need more teams. But to do this means more teams in all levels of the womens game. The NRLW does provide greater profile so it stands to reason that the player numbers will follow.