What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Women's teams announced

Force

Juniors
For those who doubt Brazil.....they have improved leaps and bounds in Rugby Union (7's)....so hopefully they can replicate that in league. Good luck to them. I do feel the likes of Fiji and Samoa could've featured in the tournament too but at least they have expanded the tournament.

latingringo101

Juniors
The Brazilian women's team won against Argentina in 2018 in Sau Paulo and featured several former Rugby 7s women's players.

With two years of preparation to go a women's team at the world cup will boost Rugby League in the country ten fold

langpark

First Grade
Fantastic! They are just such an unknown quantity, that's all. Hence why they will go in as one of the main underdogs.

adamkungl

Immortal
While it's tough for nations like Fiji, Samoa, Wales, USA, and Italy.. the 8 team Womens comp is undoubtedly a difficult balancing act between the highest level of competition, funding, and a diverse geographic spread.
I for one am glad that they're taking the ambitious move of entering a South American nation of more than 200 Million people(!!!) rather than giving us a comp where 6 of the 8 nations are from the South Pacific.

I'm hearing there will be an Emerging Womens comp too, which Wales have said they will enter

adamkungl

Immortal
Seems like they've gone the invitational route for this one instead of burning cash on qualifiers.
After the last qualifiers devolved into total farce I'm not entirely surprised.

But lets hope that the 2025 edition sees qualifiers for each continent.

Would love to see 12 teams:
3 Pacific
3 Europe
2 North America
1 South America
1 Asia
1 Africa
1 repechage Europe v Pacific

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I'm a little surprised that teams like Samoa, Fiji and Italy arent there but Brazil?!!

Wow it's amazing how far this game has got Internationally. Not just for women but overall.

Well done.

Pommy

Coach
I think it’s great that Brazil and Canada have got their chance. The sport needs to look further than the pacific/Auckland/western Sydney.

adamkungl

Immortal
He makes some valid points. Problem is, it can only be 8 teams, any other number and things will get a bit messy.

Yeah. 8 or 12 for a sensible format.. I don't think anyone would argue 12 is too many for now.

8 is a good number. Sucks for Fiji. But he doesn't seem to see that other nations put in an effort too, not just his girls. Lashing out at Brazil doesn't help anyone

langpark

First Grade
We will always have these teething problems, the women's game is literally in its infancy still. Not long ago, Aus, NZ, England, France were the only ones with women's teams, now suddenly we have loads of nations.

From 2025 WC and beyond, I am certain they will have a qualifying system, so that should solve a lot of these issues.

langpark

First Grade
Also, I don't like how the article refers to France as a "new" nation and puts them in the same basket as Brazil. They have one of the most established women's RL set-ups in the world and were due to play in 2017 and had to withdraw last-minute due to financial reasons.

Pommy

Coach

"I don't want to take anything away from Brazil getting in because that's great but my belief is you take the strongest team.

Sorry mate but it’s a World Cup, the pacific is way over represented if we look at the numbers. Even with qualification it has to be at the loss of another pacific side for them to get in to an 8 team format.

BuderusIsaBeast

Juniors
Selecting 8 teams and not giving other nations any chance seems very wrong. Surely they could have at a minimum selected 7 and had qualifiers for the last spot. Fiji have every right to be pissed off

Pommy

Coach
Selecting 8 teams and not giving other nations any chance seems very wrong. Surely they could have at a minimum selected 7 and had qualifiers for the last spot. Fiji have every right to be pissed off

Selected by criteria, although that criteria wasn’t stated. I mean they’ve played one game it’s not like they’re big force.

latingringo101

Juniors
8 teams selected for the tournament looks good. Getting a balance of geographical spread and RL power houses is great.

Teams like Canada, Brazil and getting France back into the fold is great. PNG and Cook islands are good additions too and the the big 3 rounding out the rest is fair enough.

Should be a good tournament