What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wooden Spoon 2015

Noname36

First Grade
The spoon I wish we had have gotten last year when it was obvious we needed changes but the club were allowed to pull their signature move of burying their heads in the sand.

TheFrog

Coach
At least we won something. It takes a lot of work to lose against Penrith.

You're right. A side whose halves were a second rower and a hooker, at least the 3/4 line looked like a 3/4 line today, and not a second back row like it has for most of the past couple of months.

We did have a 5/8 on the field, but he was playing fullback.

So losing to a team as broken as that, and by a margin of 18 points as well, really takes some effort.

Maybe the spoon can be used as motivation next year.

You're right. A side whose halves were a second rower and a hooker, at least the 3/4 line looked like a 3/4 line today, and not a second back row like it has for most of the past couple of months.

So losing to a team as broken as that, and by a margin of 18 points as well, really takes some effort.

Nothing will motivate this mob of pretenders i'm afraid.

Haffa

Well deserved.

Derped when it was required. Can we get a Broom through the joint?

jb2

Juniors
Well the spoon certainly is a true reflection of this season from a team that in general has zero defence and an inability to score points. I just hope this silences the Wayne Bennett critics. Sure the team did not get to a grand final but given the clubs situation and the players he did have to work with I think it was as good a result as you could get. Miss you Wayno !

Dave_

Juniors
Are we the first side to win the first 4 games straight and then go on to get the spoon? We truly do find new ways to plod, lol

aqua_duck

Coach
Well the spoon certainly is a true reflection of this season from a team that in general has zero defence and an inability to score points. I just hope this silences the Wayne Bennett critics. Sure the team did not get to a grand final but given the clubs situation and the players he did have to work with I think it was as good a result as you could get. Miss you Wayno !

The thing is Wayne built a that was a win now team, blokes on their last legs, backended contracts, etc. We had guys like Bedsy, Faalogo, Smith, Mason, Gids, Gower, Houston, Scott etc in 2013 who were only going to decline/retire.

Whats Doing

Bench
The thing is Wayne built a that was a win now team, blokes on their last legs, backended contracts, etc. We had guys like Bedsy, Faalogo, Smith, Mason, Gids, Gower, Houston, Scott etc in 2013 who were only going to decline/retire.

Yep Wayne tried to build a side for that season only and stuff building for the future.

His obsession with building a Dad's army was never going to work over 26 weeks.

Apey

Staff member
Yep Wayne tried to build a side for that season only and stuff building for the future.

His obsession with building a Dad's army was never going to work over 26 weeks.

You don't think Tinkler was a huge influence on that? He wanted to buy a premiership for us. I think there would have been quite a bit of external pressure on Wayne to bring us instant success.

Anyway, we deserved the spoon, despite our efforts over the last few games. Sack Uate.

undertaker

Coach

Maybe that spoon can be used to give players like Uate a royal spanking for his inept performances this year.

Whats Doing

Bench
You don't think Tinkler was a huge influence on that? He wanted to buy a premiership for us. I think there would have been quite a bit of external pressure on Wayne to bring us instant success.

Anyway, we deserved the spoon, despite our efforts over the last few games. Sack Uate.

Wayne is his own man and was the decision maker on recruitment. Tinks provided the money to fund Bennetts choice of recruitment. There was no reason to continue to recruit so many players over 30 which was always going to result in high turnover of players with no regard for the future.

Alex28

Coach
Fans of teams dodging the spoon by 2 points coming in and sledging. Like you guys have got plenty to be proud of...

Jobdog

Live Update Team
The cold, hard reality is we deserve to finish last. There's no point arking up at other team's fans who come in here and stick the boot in because we are a rabble, we are the worst team in the comp and unless someone puts a rocket up 75 per cent of the playing group we'll be where we are for a while.

Nathan Brown isn't going to come in and magically turn the place around next year. Plenty of people have commented on it before - this club is broken almost beyond repair, but they've probably made some decisions just in the nick of time.

We won't be making the eight again next year, but if they have a go in every game it'll be a significant improvement on this year where they did for half a dozen or so games.

Jono078

Referee
I still believe that at full strength we are top 8 capable, our halves alone will be a huge addition to next year if they stay healthy.

Interesting times ahead.

And I'd say one thing is certain - no way will 2016 be as bad as this year - I hope!

Apey

Staff member
Fans of teams dodging the spoon by 2 points coming in and sledging. Like you guys have got plenty to be proud of...

Parra fan trying to have a dig about the spoon :lol:

Green River Eel is a pretty dumb troll though.

Noname36

First Grade
Attitude and defence are the main things that need to change. Browny needs to cut as many blokes as it takes to make that happen. The squad's attitude has been horrendous since 2012 and they've all become entitled by being rewarded for it with undeserved upgrades. I bet they don't even care they've picked up the spoon to be honest.

I think if we have an attitude change the rest will fall into place. We get brand new halves (well we get Mullo back anyway) which will make a huge difference in terms of structure and the young blokes will be another year older. We're also losing a lot of players that regularly hurt us which I don't think we can underestimate.

I'm not optimistic about next year (you'd be stupid to be as a Knights fan) but hell, the only way is up.

Latest posts