What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wooden Spoon - who should really get it

ballaratdragon

Juniors
This is not to start another debate about the Storm debacle :crazy:
but my personal view is that the wooden spoon should not go to Melbourne Storm (no, I am not a Storm Supporter).

Why?

The whole idea behind the wooden spoon is that it is "given to an individual or team that comes last in a competition", or plays 'the worst' during the season.

Melbourne Storm will certainly be last but they definately did not play the worst.

To stick with tradition I really believe the wooden spoon should go to the team that comes last using 'games won/lost and PD +/-' (currently Sharks).

Storms 'won/lost PD +/-' would theoretically see them in 5th position.

Sorry if this starts a heated argument. That is not my intention. Just healthy chat about who should really deserve the spoon.

The Tank

Bench
The wooden spoon isn't an "award" actually handed out though is it? I just always thought of it as a "term" rather than anything else. Whoever finishes last doesn't actually receive a wooden spoon.

RugbyHighlights

Juniors
The wooden spoon isn't an "award" actually handed out though is it? I just always thought of it as a "term" rather than anything else. Whoever finishes last doesn't actually receive a wooden spoon.

Right. That's my view too. It's just a tag given to the team who finishes last.

However I wouldn't call Storm the wooden spooners. Cheating scum is a more fitting tag for them.

mightybears

Bench
there's no spoon ceremony!, whoever is last is last and its Melbourne in 2010.

its not about who deserves it

ballaratdragon

Juniors

At the elite level they don't actually recieve a 'Wooden Spoon'. It is just a 'term'.
But it is a stigma you don't want attached to you or your team. :?
At many amatuer levels a real wooden spoon has been given in humour :D

The Storm deserve the Wooden Spoon tag. They played outside the rules.

In saying that the team that finished just above them will probably have some claim to it.

Doga

Juniors
I don't consider 02 as a year the Dogs got the spoon. If Dogs were to finish last this year (from those contesting points) I would say that we got the spoon.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Wooden Spoon is an official term for the purposes of betting I know that much, and the wooden spooners this year will be named as Melbourne. Ultimately fans will term NQ or Cronulla as the wooden spork winners though.

Inferno

Coach
Wooden Spoon is an official term for the purposes of betting I know that much, and the wooden spooners this year will be named as Melbourne. Ultimately fans will term NQ or Cronulla as the wooden spork winners though.

Speak for all fans do you? Whoever finishes last gets it. It is that simple.

voltron

Juniors
spork?
why are people calling the 'real' wooden spoon a spork?
i understand that its a spoon + fork
but where did that term come from?

oldmancraigy

Coach
I think the wooden spoon should go to the team who accumulates the least competition points on the season.

Oh wait - that's the Storm.

Don't be blinded here and think that "oh, they've won 10 games" - yes, true, but with a $5.5 million roster!

The only reason they've won 10 games is because they have an extra half a team worth of players in salary.....

Didgi

spork?
why are people calling the 'real' wooden spoon a spork?
i understand that its a spoon + fork
but where did that term come from?

:? Melbourne will get the 'spoon' without performing the worst. So fans have decided they need something to give to the real worst team, hopefully the Sharks.

R2Coupe

Juniors
This is not to start another debate about the Storm debacle :crazy:
but my personal view is that the wooden spoon should not go to Melbourne Storm (no, I am not a Storm Supporter).

Why?

The whole idea behind the wooden spoon is that it is "given to an individual or team that comes last in a competition", or plays 'the worst' during the season.

Melbourne Storm will certainly be last but they definately did not play the worst.

To stick with tradition I really believe the wooden spoon should go to the team that comes last using 'games won/lost and PD +/-' (currently Sharks).

Storms 'won/lost PD +/-' would theoretically see them in 5th position.

Sorry if this starts a heated argument. That is not my intention. Just healthy chat about who should really deserve the spoon.

I agree the Storm should not get the spoon. The Storm should not have been allowed to compete this year until players had exited the club. Two of the big four plus numerous others brought to the club through illegal payments above what other clubs could afford.

icewind

Juniors
nah cowboys have really sucked this year. I have no doubt the Storm still performs better next year under the cap, than the cowboys this year.

Sharks at least have shown some ticker.

Eels Dude

Coach
In my group of friends, whenever one of our teams comes last we'll each give that guy an actual wooden spoon just for a bit of fun. A Roosters mate has about 10 sitting around after last year. Just won't be the same this year though.