What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Words from Smith 9/08/07 - Audio

perverse

Referee
to be honest - i love smithy at press conferences. he doesn't give anything away for free and he's generally right on the money. he is dealing with this supposed "situation" with great aplomb.

and i don't think he said anything wrong about bedsy at all? the team has had a very rough year - and it's been even rougher for bedsy.. losing the origin as captain whilst trying desperately to earn his national jumper back.. struggling for fitness and trying his heart out every week (mostly to no avail), and half his mates have just been sacked. it's a definite low time in his career.. and i'm really hoping it can all get put behind him and the rest of the club next year with a genuine shot at the premiership.

roopy

Referee
Funny calling Dureau a 'late bloomer' when he is tearing up PL at 20 years old.

His junior coaches have rated him behind Walsh, but i've never been able to see it.

I can't count the number of times in the lower grades we were losing with Walsh in 7 and Scotty would be brought on or just switch positions and he would pull our nuts out of the fire.

antonius

Coach
I thought Smith handled that very very well. Said all the right things and really I can't say I heard anything that should upset buderus any more than he is. I think Smith summed up Dannys' situation pretty well.

Andy

First Grade
I would have said Smith coming to the Knights was going to cause an implosion, but I've watched everything transpire this year, and I can't really blame him. He knows his footy, sees talent for what it is and doesn't keep his favourites on the park like Hagan did. Not bad...

antonius

Coach
Baron Vo Mandor said:
What did Smith say about Buderus?
Didn't you click on the link? Basically said he wasn't happy that Buderus went public, but he understood the reasons behind him saying it. He said he was sure on reflection Buderus would regret saying what he did. Smith put it down to the frustration of only playing 11 club games, losing the SSO series, and being under threat for his Australian team position.

~knights~

Juniors
Simmo has come out and said today that morale had been a little low ,but they are hoping to put everything behind them and that that they knew there would be changes but they didn't realise it was that soon.

i guess some of the players were quite shocked to see it happen so fast

cardinal

Juniors
Andy said:
I would have said Smith coming to the Knights was going to cause an implosion, but I've watched everything transpire this year, and I can't really blame him. He knows his footy, sees talent for what it is and doesn't keep his favourites on the park like Hagan did. Not bad...

No he has changed the side heaps if Tighe plays a bad game he gets dropped hey. Smith is getting crap put on him about letting players go, but that is the least of your worries what about the ordinary ones you are buying for next year. Spending a fortune on a 30 year old prop like Cross and letting Snowden go is a joke. A wooden spoon this year and next is my bet. Long live Hags players love playing for him and he brings kids through and is not scared to play them.

keeney

First Grade
cardinal said:
No he has changed the side heaps if Tighe plays a bad game he gets dropped hey. Smith is getting crap put on him about letting players go, but that is the least of your worries what about the ordinary ones you are buying for next year. Spending a fortune on a 30 year old prop like Cross and letting Snowden go is a joke. A wooden spoon this year and next is my bet. Long live Hags players love playing for him and he brings kids through and is not scared to play them.

Are you serious? Have you looked at the glut of talent that was wasting away in lower grades and on the bench because Hages wouldn't play anyone outside his preplanned 17? Compared with Smith, who has debuted how many players this year? Paterson, Mcmanus, Seu Seu, Walsh, Karawana, Gordon, Taufua, Royal, and possibly Dureau?

perverse

Referee
cardinal said:
if we get the spoon next year, i'll do a nude run at the 08 grand final. bookmark it.

nearly every player we have let go, we've replaced with someone better. snowden does have potential - i'll grant you that... but after the car crash that has been josh perry, you'll excuse us for not relying solely on potential at this stage.

otori

Juniors
Did anyone see Butts on The Footy Show tonight? He was being pretty careful not to say anything bad about Smith but he was pretty outspoken about how disappointed he was about Woolie, Perry and Newton gettin the flick. The only person that really was talking about it openly was Vossy and he was saying that Newcastle needed the switch and Smith was the best option at coach over others. Pretty interesting I thought.

roopy

Referee
otori said:
Did anyone see Butts on The Footy Show tonight? He was being pretty careful not to say anything bad about Smith but he was pretty outspoken about how disappointed he was about Woolie, Perry and Newton gettin the flick. The only person that really was talking about it openly was Vossy and he was saying that Newcastle needed the switch and Smith was the best option at coach over others. Pretty interesting I thought.
I saw that, and it is sad to let those guys go - but onward and upward i say.

Alex28

Coach
It is disappointing that the old boys of the club want the club to stay with the same players that aren't up to the job now because of mateship and loyalty. Thats all well and good - but is the club about mateship or are they serious about winning a premiership?