What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

World Club Challenge - NOT live on Nine

Dragon Dave

Bench
Thought I'd post this in here as the Dragons will effectively be representing the NRL against Wigan.

I have just spoken to people at both Channel 9 and Fox and it appears as though, for the first time in years, the WCC will not be shown live.

Nine have the live rights, as Fox are showing it on delay, but according to a woman at nine they are not showing it until the next day.

I find it strange that Nine would chose to scrap the live telecast when two of the worlds most famous clubs are playing in a unique match-up.

Not happy.

adamkungl

Immortal
weak. I hope they miss both the NRL and AFL rights. What would they have without sport? Two and a Half Men? Pathetic organisation. Obviously they have something more important to show at 5am or whenever it is

Bulldog Force

Referee
Thought I'd post this in here as the Dragons will effectively be representing the NRL against Wigan.

I have just spoken to people at both Channel 9 and Fox and it appears as though, for the first time in years, the WCC will not be shown live.

Nine have the live rights, as Fox are showing it on delay, but according to a woman at nine they are not showing it until the next day.

I find it strange that Nine would chose to scrap the live telecast when two of the worlds most famous clubs are playing in a unique match-up.

Not happy.
I hate to say it but in Australia the WCC is pretty much like a trial match.

Yep no one treats it seriously and that includes until now the fans of the club that was competing, but Dragons fans are slow enough to believe that you can win 3 premierships in 1 grandfinal so I am not suprised.

So we've established who are Rugby League fans and who are fans of their own clubs.

Baron Von Mudbutton, could you go and drink some bleach please.

Gaba

First Grade
Yep no one treats it seriously and that includes until now the fans of the club that was competing, but Dragons fans are slow enough to believe that you can win 3 premierships in 1 grandfinal so I am not suprised.
why bennett doesnt need to go to newcastle or souths

he won premierships with 3 different clubs on one day :)

Last edited:

DJShaksta

First Grade

Not happy.

Sucks it's not live I agree. But.
Manchester united is a world famous club - stgeorge Illawarra is not.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Didnt this happen last year, Im pretty sure it wasnt live for the Storm game.

Nothings changed really since they took the rights for SL, best way to watch the highlights IMO is on the website, or record the games on Foxtel IQ seeing as though they'll show the games at Midnight.

DJShaksta

First Grade
StGeorge Illawarra are far from the most famous
of RL clubs.

WCC is a hyped up trial game, nothing more.

No different from the charity shield.

Dragon Dave

Bench
StGeorge Illawarra are far from the most famous
of RL clubs.

Sorry, I should've warned in the first place:

Sharks fans please ignore this thread. Contains discussion about trophies and/or silverware. Thank you.

Eels Dude

Coach
This doesn't concern you either, I know you'd rather watch Cheese TV even if the Eels were playing.

If it only concerns Dragons fans then why post it in here? Really as the other guy said it's a glorified trial not even the NRL clubs take that seriously.

Quidgybo

Bench
I hate to say it but in Australia the WCC is pretty much like a trial match.

Is it any surprise when that's the way it's treated by the game's administration? If you schedule it in the pre-season, after a four month break, between two clubs only just starting a new campaign, with squads possibly far different from those that won their championships, then no amount of promotion is going to change the fact it's a glorified trial. But schedule it two weeks after the Grand Finals as an integral part of the international post season, with the squads who actually won their titles playing in the form that got them there, then you have something entirely more palatable.

Leigh

Last edited: