What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WORLD CUP '08 Rnd 2: Malta v Australia

The Front Row

Administrator
Staff member
Forum 7s - WORLD CUP Round 2 - 2008
MALTA KNIGHTS v AUSTRALIA KANGAROOS
badge_malta_100x104.gif
-v-
logo_kangaroos_aust.jpg

Big Mick (c) ----------- The Piper (c)
Game Thread:
* Please note - This is a game thread only, therefore only game posts can be made here (Teams, Articles).
* Any other posts may result in loss of points and is at the discretion of the referee
* Only original articles, not used in previous games, will be marked by referees.​

Naming Teams (F7s WC conditions):
* 3v3 (+ 2 reserves for each team)
* No 'TBA' or changing players named
* Captains must stick with original teams named​

FULL TIME (F7s WC conditions): Sunday 26 October 2008 at 9pm (Syd time)

REFEREE: Jesbass​

Venue: The Front Row Stadium​

**The Referee Blows Game On!**​
whistle_2.gif

Last edited:

The Piper

Juniors
The Piper leads out the green and gold
------------------------------------

I see the colours.

Opening the wardrobe first thing in the morning, I reach to the far right and feel the material that could only be a rugby league jersey. I see the colours. It begins my morning with a sense of anticipation of what the game may hold for us. I gain a sense of pride when I walk out of my room to my friends and family, wearing the distinctive clothing. They see the colours. They know that is time for league. They know our team is playing.

On the drive to the game, I listen to the radio. They speak of many things and speak of league. They discuss our team’s chances in the game today. As the team is broadcasted, in my mind, I see them one by one. I see them in the colours. They take the field in the colours. It feels me with hope, of what the experience and youthfulness of the team may produce today. The colours stay in my mind.

As we arrive in the city, I can see the stadium only minutes away. Atop of the grandstand, I see our team’s flags waving boisterously. Our emblem and mascot whips across the sky, looking down above us all. On those flags, I see the colours. I recall times where the crowds roared with victory. I recall times where silence blanketed the seats with loss. I am anxious. The colours continued to wave on.

I walk across the road to the stadium. There seems to be no one else on the face of the Earth when the league fans herd into the game. A sea of jerseys, just like mine, travels across the car park. I see the colours. The feeling of the ground packed to capacity excites. The larger numbers of supporters builds the notion that something big is about to happen of the field. They all feel the same as I do when putting on the jersey and wear the colours, I know. I join in as one of the many that make the mob of colours.

Stationing themselves on top of the hill, I see the devotees of the opposition team. The away supporters wave their flags and sing as one, as if defiant of the home crowd. I see their colours. The emotion of resentment fills me. They are just fans too, like me, but according to me, they wear the wrong colours. As much as I don’t want to admit it, I get a feeling of worry as these are the colours they may deny us a win today.

Eventually I find my seat in amongst the other followers just as my team runs out onto the ground. We cheer, people fly flags and even instruments sound. I see the colours.

Ten minutes into the game and our team scores. Excitement fills the stadium. A feeling of joy fills me. I see the colours. The colours are over the try line.

Half time and our team are behind on the score board. Fans heads are down. You can hear the opposition fans across the ground. I see them in my mind and wished I was feeling what they are right now. I look around me. I don’t see the colours.

The second half is under way. Not long in and an interception. Our fullback has the ball now. We all stand as one. I see the colours. They streak away down the sideline as fast as you can imagine. I look around for any opponents. I don’t see their colours anywhere! We score. We applaud. I see the colours again in the crowd.

The referee blows his whistle to end the game. It is fulltime. Our team has won the match. I cannot believe it. Accompanying the win, a feeling consumes me that only a league fan would understand. I feel sorrow for the opposition fans, but only for a split second. The fans around me feel the same, I know. We move back out of the stadium as one, once more. Flags are still brandished. Hands are still being clapped. I see the colours.

We leave in the car. It’s slow at first, making way for the others walking by in our colours. But we don’t care. We get out onto the main road and we’re off. We talk about the tries, the intercept and the day. I turn back around one last time to see the stadium. The flags wave on. I see the colours.

---------------
750 words

Last edited:

Dave Q

Coach
Fresh from the heartbreaking loss in the grand final, Dave Q proudly runs out for Malta.
--------------------------

"Loungeroomification"

Rugby League is a game built on the negative emotions of fans. Everywhere you go theres a complaint about this or that. It sells papers and makes personalities out of disc-jockeys.

We thrive on the injustice, we take an undue interest in the vilifying players, coaches and even whole clubs.

And I think we often do so because we are bombarded with messages telling us that these things are important and interesting.

Often its the commentators on radio or television commenting on some on-field indiscretion or that the player should have done this or that, the wrong interchange, wrong option taken..he should have passed to the left where the overlap was.

We suck it in like leaches. The sub-text is teaching us that its OK to hate.

And the hate has been going on for years. Sitting at home, at work or in the car, weve been copping it for years. We are used to it, its part of the furniture, we know no other way....or do we?

Well I think that there is a way out of it. It takes effort and resources. Im talking about the ultimate sacrifice a league fan can make.

We have to go and see a match live!

The most compelling thing about watching a game of footy 'in real life' is the lack of interpretation given to the match to you by anybody else. No experts, no disc jockeys, no old player and coaching hack grumbling and muttering on.

Its just you, your own knowledge and your own experience, transposing and interpreting what you see and what you hear into some kind of understanding and then memory.

I myself cherish those "pin-drop" silent periods.

The hush while we all wait for something for happen.

Thats the "clean" and "pristine" time. 26 guys, all equal, a ref, a few Bengal Lancers and the ball. Thats the time I think I am closest to the game.

And how many times, have you seen a game live and then watched a replay of the same game on the telly and thought they could have been two different matches. I could have watched 2 different players with the same number!

You see a brutal low-scoring game with anxious players understandably dropping the ball and on telly, radio although less often in print its decribed as "ugly, boring and full of mistakes."

And you speak to mate who saw the game on telly and he's giving you a version of events you cant understand...and you were the one bloody there!!

And the added benefit of being at the game is instead of launching a tirade after a dropped ball, you can give those precious real-time live side-line coaching tips to our beloved players:-

"Pass the fugging ball to the left, their winger is down"

And the inspirational cry for the defensive effort:

"No fugging mercy, crack the bludgers spine! Kill him!!"

And the classic:

What the fug did you do that for? Youre a bloody idiot, get off!

But your ridicule is over quickly, its contained too.

You are not putting into the minds of hundreds of thousands of viewers that Player X has cost a side the game... and has a a high error rate.... and shouldnt be selected in first grade let alone rep football. I call that " loungeroomfication. "

That my own personal impression of game is different from the analysis of Sterlo's or Gus Gould's bothers me not. Theyve made plenty of mistakes, just like you and me. They create a whole fantasy world from the match, its comfy and familiar to them. People consume it readily so we dont have to think about the issues for ourselves.

Easier for us to just to suck it in, memorise it and re-hash it at work on Monday. And we talk about the game like we were there.

Anybody who has played footy, knows how tough it can be. Its hard enough getting bashed up on the field and at training let alone being turned into the anti-christ on prime-time telly and having kids think you are the devil incarnate.

Next time you hear a player being cursed by the media for his footy, tune into the positive and remember to tune out to the hysterical criticism.

If you were there, you would have seen, that he "monster" tried his guts out all night.

He was a hero, and not just trying to be like some of our media friends in your loungeroom!.

-------------------------------------------

749 words between the lines

Last edited:

edabomb

First Grade
edabomb makes his debut for Malta

Band of Brothers

The Canberra Raiders 2008 NRL season was one of the most controversial and unluckiest in their twenty-seven year history. By their final game of the season they were down to seventeen fit players, a situation not seen in the modern era. Yet despite all this they managed to finish the regular season in sixth spot. Having been tipped to run last, and having their playing roster decimated during the season, this was undoubtedly one of the most courageous and inspiring team efforts the NRL has seen in years. Sure, we could talk about the idiotic behaviour or the unlucky pile of injuries, but the real story of the Raiders 2008 was the way every individual given an opportunity stepped up to the plate.

One of the greatest things about the Raiders 2008 season is how everybody embraced the chance given to them through injury or suspension. At the start of the season Terry Campese was a 23-year old fringe first grader. He had had plenty of opportunities in the past to secure his spot, but had always been inconsistent and unspectacular. His start to 2008 was largely the same, one-week he would come up with some promising plays, then the next two he would be missing in action. His form started to improve dramatically during the middle of the year, and for the latter third of the competition he was playing with a consistency few thought him capable of. He ended the season just missing out on the Dally M award for best performer in the 2008 NRL, and being fitted for an Australian World Cup jersey. His was an inspiring display, and also a reminder to everyone out there not to give up on a talented player just because he takes some time to develop.

Joel Monaghan’s return to the Raiders was a controversial move. Monaghan had left the club under somewhat grey circumstances at the end of 2004, citing his wish to play rep football as a reason to move to Sydney. But Monaghan showed great commitment to the green all season upon his return. He also showed a consistency he had never shown before, and was the rock of the back line with so much changing around him. Monaghan was also named to the Australian World Cup team, as well as earlier making his New South Wales debut, a pleasingly ironic situation given what happened in 2004.

By the end of the season the Raiders had found new talent in areas they would not have placed any great hope on during the pre-season. David Milne, previously a struggling first grade winger, had become one of the first picked every week in his new position at fullback. He will undoubtedly start 2009 at the back with every chance of securing a long-term position at the back.

Marc Herbert slotted straight into the halfback position when Todd Carney was suspended for an alcohol-fuelled incident. Herbert’s transition to first grade was seamless, and his willingness to take a back seat let Campese begin to live up to his potential.

Another benefactor of early injuries was hooker Glen Buttriss. Buttriss replaced Lincoln Withers replacement, after Lincoln suffered an early season ending injury. Ryan Hinchcliffe then stepped into the hooking role, but was injured shortly after he got his chance. Then Buttriss stepped in with the skill and precision unexpected from a Queensland Cup hooker. He has also secured himself a spot in the top seventeen for next year, and will battle it out with new signing Stuart Flanigan for the hooking job.

The best thing you can say about those given the chance to play NRL in 2008 through others misfortune was the fact that the Raiders only found their best form when the team was made up of the majority of these players. If the Raiders had stayed injury free, I honestly believe they would have finished somewhere between ninth and twelfth. Now there have been plenty of examples where back-ups have stepped up and held their own, but very few where they have actually improved upon the situation, and never before across such a replacement of first choice talent.

[FONT=&quot]As we approach Rugby League’s first World Cup in eight years we anticipate such showings of courage and commitment on the global scale. If the underdogs at this competition can show the attitude that the Raiders showed during 2008 we will undoubtedly have had a great advertisement for our game.

--------------------------------
750 words including title
[/FONT]

IanG

Coach
IanG comes off the bench for Australia
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The World Cup is here

Well it’s finally here. The Rugby League World Cup. I know that this tournament has it’s knockers but I for one am a supporter of the concept and will be attending the match that they’re playing in my home town, even though Australia won’t be taking part in the match in question.

I just think it’s a little disappointing that it has been eight years since the last tournament and I am hoping that it is playing on a regular basis from now on i.e. every four years. Over the years it has a number of different formats from being the Home and Away four yearly concept that there was in the late 80s and early 90s to the tournament now. It also dates back to 1954.

The other thing that you get from this tournament is seeing nations that you don’t normally associate with Rugby League having a crack at the great sport that is Rugby League for example back in 1995 and 2000 you had South Africa taking part. Yes defiantly a Rugby nation but not one you associate with League.

The other thing that I’m hoping to see is a few upsets. One thing that the knockers seem to be flogging to death is the so called predictability of the tournament and that there are only really three countries with a hope of winning the World Cup. Well they may have a point but by the same token it’s for this very reason that I hope there is an upset or two just to throw a spanner into the works.

Like for example last night watching England play Papua New Guinea I was rooting for the Kumuls. In fact for a while that the World Cup was going to kick off with a real boil over with the Kumuls leading at half time and were desperate in defence. But in the eng the English professionalism won out but I think Papua New Guinea acquitted themselves very well. They can hold their heads high because they showed that they weren’t just there to make up the numbers.

I also have to say that the television timing leave a lot to be desired to say the least. For starters not having the matches on live is rather lousy on the part of Channel Nine. Seems we’re getting a raw deal and the powers to be don’t seem to want to do anything about it. But at the same time at least those of us who don’t have Foxtel will be able to see it. As far as tonight’s game goes I find it rather intriguing that the Curtin raiser between the Indigenous Dreamtime Team and the New Zealand Maori was on live this afternoon but the Main Event isn’t on live.

It was fantastic that these two teams got to show what they had to offer in terms of Rugby League talent though it should just be kept as an exhibition match. Unlike including them in the world cup tournament like the New Zealand Maori were back in 2000. One country shouldn’t be fielding two teams.

As far as the other teams taking part in the tournament. I think it’ll be the South Pacific teams that could cause a stir, Fiji, Tonga and Samoa. Not sure about the French though. Since a lot of their players are from the Le Catalas Dragons in the UK Super League they’ve had some exposure to a top competition so anything could happen.

In 2008 they’ve also obviously decided that the ten team format would be better suiting rather than the sixteen teams back in 2000. I suppose the theory behind this is that you won’t get the blow out one sided contests, for example Australia beating Russia 110 to 4 for example or Australia beating South Africa 86 to 6 back in 1995.

Overall even if things go as planned for the smaller countries it can only be good for the exposure of the code in other parts of the world. Though I suppose there will be debate about whether or not Great Britain should be split up of unified in the World Cup. There was even the suggestion of Australia being split up into New South Wales and Queensland. Well I personally think things are complicated enough as it is without tweaking things further. Over all I say bring it on. Let’s just hope it’s not another eight years before we see the next World Cup.

WORD COUNT: 750 Words

Azkatro

First Grade
Aust_jersey_040718.jpg

Azkatro for the Kangaroos.

---------------------------------------------------------------

THE FORGOTTEN FRIENDLY

“Beetson, I’m going to try and take Millward out.”

These are the words of Tom Raudonikis, as told by Arthur Beetson in his autobiography. It was Tom’s game plan as halfback for Australia who were taking on England in November 1975 at Headingley in Leeds. Despite it being a World Cup year, this game was not a World Cup match. It was instead a long forgotten “International Match” between the winners and runners-up of the World Cup of 1975. When you read International Match, it doesn’t mean Test match, nor does it mean World Cup match. In fact, according to the history of rugby league, it doesn’t mean much at all.

The foundations of how this match came about date back to September 27, 1975. Australia took on New Zealand at Carlaw Park in what was the conclusion of the “second stage” of the drawn out 1975 World Cup tournament. According to reports, the win by Australia confirmed what officials “had long feared” – the third and concluding stage of the tournament, to be hosted in France and England, would be a “flop”. This was because Australia had all but secured victory in a tournament which did not have a final scheduled. Australia held a 3 point lead over England with three games to play in the third and final stage. Two of their opponents in those games were to be Wales and France, so the likelihood of them losing to either was slim at best.

As it turned out, Australia beat Wales in a canter, and thrashed the French 41-2 to secure the cup. It wasn’t long before talks of a finale to be played involving Australia began. Originally, it was to be against a Rest of the World side in France, but this idea was discarded. On October 30, following a meeting in Huddersfield, a Test match between Great Britain and Australia, to be played at Leeds on November 12, was arranged. According to ARL president Kevin Humphries it was to be “regarded by both countries as an official Test match.”

England’s World Cup coach Alex Murphy then decided to stir the pot with explosive comments regarding the 10-all draw in Sydney between the sides. His claim was that Australia scored a try which should never have been awarded by New Zealand referee John Percival. Thus England could still have had a chance to win the tournament by beating Australia in their last match.

Percival adjudicated England’s 16-13 win at Wigan the following day. As it turned out, there was again controversy as Australia claimed Percival incorrectly awarded a try by England’s John Holmes. Captain Arthur Beetson also stated that Percival was “well below standard”. Such was Australia’s disdain that the upcoming Test against Great Britain, which was due to be refereed by Percival, was replaced with a “rematch” between Australia and England – of course with a different referee.

History shows that Australia won that game against a weakened English side 25-0, a game which was refereed by Fred Lindop.

The Test match status of the fixture however was lost. All resources which mention it refer to it as little more than an “International Match”. Player statistics do not include it in their records. Even when the ARL belatedly announced they would be affording all World Cup matches involving Australia the same status as Test matches in March of this year, this “Challenge” game was still not included in the corrected player statistics.

It is clear why the proposed referee of the game was changed from John Percival to Fred Lindop. But there seems to be few words written about why Australia’s opponent was changed from the Rest of the World, to Great Britain, then to England. There is also little indication as to why its Test status was dropped.

Significantly, both the RFL and ARL appear to agree on its status. Therefore the likelihood of it being upgraded to Test status is extremely low. So I guess we should call it a friendly.

It seems a shame when you run your eye over Tommy’s comments one more time: “Beetson, I’m going to try and take Millward out.”

For the record, he did what he set out to do. In the first scrum of the match he lunged at England’s halfback, captain and key player Roger “The Dodger” Millward, and after a scuffle both were sent off. Mission accomplished. Millward was so disappointed, he wept in the dressing room afterwards.

Friendly indeed.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Bibliography
Wire, "Brass boys shine...and 'kill' series", Sun-Herald, 28 Sep, 1975, p. 69
Wire, "League 'Test' mooted", Sydney Morning Herald, 30 Oct, 1975, p. 19
AAP, "League tourists odds on", Sydney Morning Herald, 31 Oct, 1975, p. 11
Wire, "Test match official", Sydney Morning Herald, 31 Oct, 1975, p. 11
Wire, "Murphy sharpens 'needle'", Sydney Morning Herald, 1 Nov, 1975, p. 48
AAP, "Disputed try sinks Aust", Sydney Morning Herald, 3 Nov, 1975, p. 15
Wire "Lindop 'rematch' referee", Sydney Morning Herald, 4 Nov, 1975, p. 14
Wire, "Millward weeps after being ordered off", The Times, 13 Nov, 1975, p. 10
Wire, "League tour has a lame ending", Sydney Morning Herald, 14 Nov, 1975, p. 15
Fletcher, Raymond & Howes, David, Rothmans Rugby League Yearbook 1995-96, London : Headline Book Publishing, 1995
Beetson, Arthur & Heads, Ian, Big Artie - The Autobiography, Sydney : ABC Books, 2004
Fittler, B. , & Sleeman, R, Freddy – The Brad Fittler Story, Sydney : Harper Collins, 2005
Andrews, Malcolm, The ABC Of Rugby League, Third edition, Sydney : ABC Books, 2006
Riccio, David, "Lockyer in reach of most caps", Daily Telegraph, 30 Mar, 2008.
AAP, “ARL change Kangaroos records”, http://news.smh.com.au/sport/arl-change-kangaroos-records-20080329-22co.html, 29 Mar, 2008, accessed 26 Oct, 2008
Various, "1975 Rugby League World Cup", http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1975_Rugby_League_World_Cup, 26 Oct, 2008, accessed 26 Oct, 2008

747 words. Liftoff!

Last edited:

Big Mick

Referee
Big Mick leads Malta onto the field

Why do we love the underdog?

“So, without taking anything away from these 'winners' I think you would agree that we do love it when the underdog has his day”

“The Australian psyche has a deeply implanted admiration for the underdog. It supports individuals and teams that triumph against the odds”

“We cheer loudest when the underdog wins and we rejoice in the notion that regardless of where you are from, no matter how rich or poor, you still have a chance of going all the way”

Supporting the underdog has been a part of Australian rugby league history since its inception in 1908. It’s the great notion that if your team is not in a final’s series, you will support the team who has the least chance of winning. Why as a culture do we do this? Wouldn’t it be more logical to choose a winning team? Everyone loves a winner right? In Australia that notion of “I’ll support whoever will win” is not a part of our culture and never will be as long as there is an underdog.

As Australian’s we love the underdog. A team that after year’s of battling with heartache and defeat has conquered all before them. It all reverts to the theory of the “Aussie battler” who with nothing at all manages to rise to the top and reach the pinnacle of their game. In rugby league there is one of these stories every season. A team that comes from the shadows that everyone wants to see win as they appear the least likely to achieve it. In 2001 it was the Knights. Despite the Novocastrians having the “Andrew Johns factor”, Parramatta were touted as invincible and no one could find a feasible answer to how Newcastle could win. However, people supported Newcastle in droves and urged Newcastle to their second premiership.

In 2002, it was the New Zealand Warriors. Despite winning the minor premiership the Warriors gave up favouritism in the grand final to the Sydney Roosters who finished lower on the table. As usual, the Australian culture immediately jumped on the Warriors bandwagon, but this time, it was not enough to bring home the trophy.

In 2003, the Penrith Panthers were the underdog, having won the wooden spoon in 2001 and finishing12th the following year; critics were again predicting the Panthers as wooden spoon favourites. Despite all their inexperience the Panthers completed a remarkable season finishing minor premiers and making it to the grand final to face the defending premiers, the Roosters. The Roosters were again favourites, and the underdog supporters lifted the Panthers to a heroic and fairytale victory.

The 2004 series gave us another memorable underdog in the North Queensland Cowboys. In their first ever finals appearance, the Cowboys went from seventh place to beat the Bulldogs and Brisbane to play the Sydney Roosters in the preliminary final. Everyone was trying to get the Cowboys a famous victory, but it wasn’t enough to make that elusive grand final.

But the question we must ask is where does this effectuation derive? Is it to due the Australian nature of wanting an even competition? We live our lives by suggesting that it’s ok to have success and to be part of a successful club, but that success should only last so long. We crave the day that the best is being beaten by those who are given no chance.

We forget that these successful clubs of today, where once overshadowed by the successful clubs of yesteryear and will again be overshadowed by the successful clubs of tomorrow. Success is brought about as a result of the hunger after defeat. In a vicious cycle success will happen again, through the heartache of supporters, tenacity of the coaching staff and the ability of the players to conquer adversity…..but only for a while.

Whether it is the World Cup currently ongoing or 2009 season, we will see again an underdog emerge and capture the hearts of Australia’s public. Like the Warriors of 2008, we’ll see a team lift us to a place where we feel genuine joy. In 2009 and the current World Cup, let us all hope that our team, whomever you support, will be that underdog who emerges from the ashes and grabs glory in most unexpected circumstances, because we all know that winning when no one expects it, is the sweetest victory of all. And in any case...who doesn’t love an underdog!

741 words

REF:
http://www.bowens.com.au/images/builders_bulletin/V13.09_Oct2002.pdf
http://www.australianbeers.com/culture/bignoting.htm
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,16062410-23214,00.html

Last edited:

Big Mick

Referee
Oh crap...I thought i'd posted the line up:

With permission of Piper, Malta's line up:

badge_malta_100x104.gif

1. Big Mick
2. Edabomb
3. Dave Q

RES:
4. Madunit

Sorry about that...I had computer problems earlier in the week when I thought i'd posted the line up...but just realised it didn't go through!!!

Sorry guys...please accept my apologies

Azkatro

First Grade
I would just like to clarify something if that's ok - nobody will probably notice anyway, but I've accidentally included Brad Fittler's autobiography in my list of references. Let it be known that this shouldn't be there and Brad Fittler's autobiography had nothing to do my article! (obviously I can't edit it and take it out now ...)

Titanic

First Grade
gee, I wish you'd told me that last night and I would've got to sleep before 3am minus the frustration... lol.

Jesbass

First Grade
I would just like to clarify something if that's ok - nobody will probably notice anyway, but I've accidentally included Brad Fittler's autobiography in my list of references. Let it be known that this shouldn't be there and Brad Fittler's autobiography had nothing to do my article! (obviously I can't edit it and take it out now ...)

Duly noted. :thumn

I should have the marks in here no later than tomorrow night.

Jesbass

First Grade
badge_malta_100x104.gif

Malta

Dave Q – “Loungeroomification” (749 words)
I really likes this piece. Your enthusiasm is infectious, and I can fully relate to what you're saying. I personally love nothing more than seeing a league match live, and have often been stunned by the different interpretations of the same match. Your article flowed really well, but had a couple of minor errors, such as two different spellings of “Loungeroomification”. That's something worth keeping an eye out for next time.
Score: 87

edabomb – Band Of Brothers (743 words)
This was a well polished article, and a good breakdown of what had to be the NRL's surprise package in 2008, the Canberra Raiders. You made your point very early on and stuck to it, citing examples to back up your claim. Rounding out at the end to refer to the World Cup, and thereby shifting your gaze from the past to the future, was also a nice effect. A possible improvement in your next piece would be to have a clearer connection between the title and the subject matter.
Score: 89

Big Mick – Why Do We Love The Underdog? (741 words)
A very strong piece. As they say, it's not about the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog. As a Kiwi, I know the familiarity of the underdog status, especially during the international season. This was a good look into the reasons people support the underdog, and an encouragement for it to continue. Not worth dropping a mark for, but your quotes would have been more easily accessed with an asterisk (*) or something similar, so that I could tell which reference had which quote – as it stands, I can't find your third quote among your sources.
Score: 88

logo_kangaroos_aust.jpg

Australia

The Piper – I See The Colours (750 words)
A fine piece about what the typical fan experiences on game day. The repetition, which could so easily have become a weakness, became the core of the article. You described the events very well, and I could imagine being at the match as that intercept pass was taken. A few minor grammatical errors lost you a couple of points.
Score: 87

IanG – The World Cup Is Here (750 words)
An impassioned article about the World Cup and the benefit that it should hopefully bring to the international game. It's nice to see someone willing to support the tournament by going to a match that their chosen team isn't even taking part in. Your conversational approach is also a strength. Unfortunately, there were a couple of grammatical blips that lost you a couple of marks.
Score: 86

Azkatro – The Forgotten Friendly (748 words)
A very well researched piece on a match in history that I didn't know about. It also brings into question the status of certain international matches, but does so by reflecting on a match that clearly meant more to the players than to the officials, if Millward's reaction to being sent off is taken into account. I gave you an extra couple of marks based on the sheer amount of research you had to do for an event that occurred more than 30 years ago, which is no small task.
Score: 89

Malta (264) defeat Australia (262)

POTM: edabomb (Malta) and Azkatro (Australia)

edabomb

First Grade
Great start to the WC here for Malta, what an upset!!!! Good game Australia, and best of luck for the rest of the tournament.

Thanks for the very quick reffing Jess.

Big Mick

Referee
Oh...my....god...what the hell...did that just happen!

SO EXCITED! haha

Thanks Jebass!!! I'll suss out that third reference mate....thought it was included.

BUT THANK YOU!

Thanks Australia!!

Dave Q

Coach
Yeah a very exciting result...the mouse that roared!

All points taken and agreed with Jess.

I still find it hard to lift after the bluebags gf defeat. We smile along and everything, but inside, it still cuts deep.

I was listening to the WC commentary Australia v NZ, I was sensitized to the negative messages and I was decidedly annoyed.

I dont care about the final score, pound for pound, all things being equal, our Kiwi brothers put up a pretty reasonable fight against seemingly impossible odds and its a shame that not many people are saying as much.

Thanks Australia F7's.

The brilliant Madunit to come for Malta as well. I expect to be subbed!

Cheers

Last edited: