What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

World Cup of Hockey

OVP

Coach
Thats not hockey at all, its ice hockey.

and ice hockey is imo one of the greatest sports in the world.

Go the redwings !! But im still pissed off they got rid of Federov ... but i hope he's still kicking arse for Russia !! Sergei Federov is the Brad Fittler of Ice Hockey imo ... such a legend, so much skill, so much experience !! Goooo Sergei !!

OVP said:
Thats not hockey at all, its ice hockey.

No, here in NA, the center of the universe, ice hockey is just hockey, and that other game is called field hockey. Those parts of the world who say ice hockey, and just hockey for field hockey, have it wrong. It's called the NHL, not the NIHL.

Stevo_G

Juniors
r these teams like the strongest teams

does u.s have the best of their nhl players playing?

I think the US has the best players playing, but their team is old. Something like 11 of them played on the 1996 WC team, the last time the WC was held.

Russia is missing some players, notably Fedorov I think, but they looked very sharp in thir opening win over the US.

Canada is missing its best 2 defencemen, Pronger and Blake, through injury, but the team is the strongest possible. TMK all the best players made themselves available.

Canada beats Slovakia 5-0 tonight, to go into the semifinal against Czech. US upset Russia last night, now meets Finland in the other semi.

Canada beat the Czechs tonight, 4-3 in overtime, in a thrilling game. Tuesday night against the Finns in the final.

Canada wins the final, 3-2.

http://www.tsn.ca/world_cup_hockey/news_story.asp?ID=98659&hubName=world_cup_hockey

I didn't watch as much of this tournament as I could have. For me the interest of international hockey has dimmed since all the players from each nation are in the NHL. But if the tournament could be renewed on a regular basis (the last one was in 96), it is a great international championship. Eight competitve teams (well, except for Germany) is a good size for a WC. Nothing like the soccer WC, of course, but better than the RUWC, which has too many outclassed teams, and only 3-4 which really have any chance of winning.

It'll be our last hockey excitement in a while, hrundi. The NHL has locked out its players in a labour dispute, and there seems to be no hope of an early settlement. The owners are insisting on a salary cap, and the NHLPA wants none of it.

hrundi99 said:
Oh Canada!!!

Do you think I should petition the admins for a Canada forum, hrundi? There's me, you who lived here, and probably a few members who have visited the place. We could move the curling thread, any hockey threads, and the Canada rocks music thread to start it off. :lol:

On second thought, I got the basketball forum I wanted, maybe I better not push my luck.