What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

World Cup recruits

There's bound to be a few, what I'm going to call "recruits" for various teams between now and October. Ie heritage guys who will be drafted in or put their hand up for teams they've never played for before because it's a WC.

So to kick off:

Luke Keary - Ireland

About 31 mins in

Also mentions McIllorum switching back to Ireland.

Pommy

Coach
According to this he is.

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/league/...in-line-for-world-cup-gig-with-ireland/#page1

I don't know how someone can have dual citizenship based on a grandfather. That doesn't seem right. Surely a parent would have to have been born there.

I guess it would depend on the eligibility of that nation.
Perhaps his father was born here and inherited his citizenship and the perhaps lived in Ireland long enough at some point to enable him to pass it on.

Pommy

Coach
A quick google says anyone with an Irish citizen grandparent born on the island of Ireland is eligible.

Irish-bulldog

Juniors
Picture jai field and keary running the show for the wolfhounds, I'm not sure about the Irish forward stocks in the super league but they will have a decent halves pairing that's for sure.

Pommy

Coach
Didn't Ireland have a self imposed heritage player count? I wonder how Keary would fit in to that if he is actually a citizen

Irish-bulldog

Juniors
Well citizen means he's Irish brother lol. Not a heritage player, absolute gold for the Irish. I hope they push hard to lock up jai field too.

Pommy

Coach
Well citizen means he's Irish brother lol. Not a heritage player, absolute gold for the Irish. I hope they push hard to lock up jai field too.

If all it requires is an Irish born grandparent then that limit on heritage players is probably worthless then lol.

Its self-imposed anyway so they could just chose to not do it.