What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

World Cup Watch

Vic Mackey

Referee
Luckily we only have a handful of players selected. 4 from our top 30 and then a few lower grades. The noteable ones to watch:

Top 30:
Isiah Papalli - NZ
Api Korisau - Fiji
Adam Doueihi- Lebanon
Rua Ngatikuara - Cook Islands

Lowers:
Nu Brown - Samoa
Micky Tannous - Lebanon
Henry OKane - Ireland

The top 4 plus Tannous are likely to feature in the main 17 of their sides, whilst OKane has missed Irelands 17 for their first game.

We have a few other Ron Massey Cup etc players for Greece, PNG but no one likely to get near the main 3 grades.

Hoping it’s a good experience for them all and we come out with no injures. Particularly a guy like Rua should get a lot out of it considering he missed so much footy.

simmo1

First Grade
Douehihi (and Farah?) sent off for dissent this morning. Not good for two blokes in key positions at the club. Farah obviously still a petulant child.

Tigerm

First Grade
Douehihi (and Farah?) sent off for dissent this morning. Not good for two blokes in key positions at the club. Farah obviously still a petulant child.
I had a look at the incident, couldn’t hear what was said, but it’s test footy nothing wrong with a bit of passion imo.
Pity the WT’s didn’t show some during the season?

simmo1

First Grade
I had a look at the incident, couldn’t hear what was said, but it’s test footy nothing wrong with a bit of passion imo.
Pity the WT’s didn’t show some during the season?

Nothing wrong with passion, however getting yourself marched for dissent is ill-disciplined and brainless. Lebanon were playing quite well too, the game was probably out of reach by that stage, but it could have really wrecked their F&A.

Was Vossy lebbing up all the names on commentary Lucy Zelic style or just Dway-Hee?

To be fair if he has questioned the refs integrity he deserved to be marched and it’s likely tournament over for him.

Vic Mackey

Referee
The Doeuihi send off seemed a total over reaction. If he just said 'give us some f*#king calls' then I'd imagine stuff like that gets said every game. To me thats a penalty, maybe sin bin at absolute worst. Anyways he misses the next game which is a good thing, less chance to get injured. Id be happy if AD, Api and Papalli didnt play another game. Fingers crossed Fiji and Lebanaon miss the quarter finals.

Rua is starting off the bench for Cook Islands tomorrow v Wales.

macnaz

Staff member
Was Vossy lebbing up all the names on commentary Lucy Zelic style or just Dway-Hee?

To be fair if he has questioned the refs integrity he deserved to be marched and it’s likely tournament over for him.
Dway-Hee is how he would like it pronounced from now on.

simmo1

First Grade
The Doeuihi send off seemed a total over reaction. If he just said 'give us some f*#king calls' then I'd imagine stuff like that gets said every game. To me thats a penalty, maybe sin bin at absolute worst. Anyways he misses the next game which is a good thing, less chance to get injured. Id be happy if AD, Api and Papalli didnt play another game. Fingers crossed Fiji and Lebanaon miss the quarter finals.

Rua is starting off the bench for Cook Islands tomorrow v Wales.

Agree, if that was what was said then its a ridiculous send off. I had assumed it was much worse considering Brandon Smith only got binned for calling the ref a "cheating bastard". Seems NRL refs have carried their form into the WC.

gordsy

Juniors
If you want to make test football great we should
1) Keep Aussie refs out of it.
2) Make players play for the country they were born in. You left Tonga at 3 weeks weeks, too bad champ, that's who you play for.
3) All players from all team get paid the same per test match in World Cup.
4) f**k Vossy off. His commentary is excruciating to listen to.

Tigerm

First Grade
2) Make players play for the country they were born in. You left Tonga at 3 weeks weeks, too bad champ, that's who you play for.
100% for No 2 & 3.

Don't think No1 is an issue, surely other countries ref's would be worse? No 4, he is annoying, but I couldn't give a f**k, tbh.

stryker

First Grade
I think to strengthen test footy, firstly players should not be allowed to flip flop their allegiances. Let’s draw a line in the sand starting from this tournament. No one who is not playing for Australia are eligible for SOO from now on. Instead, they are required to play mid year tests for their adopted countries.
The NRL comp should be suspended for a month and the boys should play a mini WC whilst our blokes play Origin. Whoever wins that tournament plays the Kangaroos and Kiwis in a tri series at seasons end.
The only way to improve is to be continually exposed to Test footy and play the best regularly.

stryker

First Grade
To reinforce my argument, there are guys in this current Australian side who are already big name players who made their debuts this morning. Cleary, Yeo and Graham spoke of their great honour and pride to finally pull on the jersey and become Kangaroos.
There is not enough Test footy played. In this day and age, a guy like Cleary should retire with 50+ caps.
Shorten the comp and have a big spring tour ala the Wallabies.

Tigerm

First Grade
1666927686224.jpeg

So, who’s on first, what’s on second and f**ked if I know is on 3rd?

Some of you will be old enough to understand this😂😂😂

Vic Mackey

Referee
Doueihi and Tannous both played for Lebanon this morning in their quarter final loss. They were never in the game but both went alright and more importantly came out uninjured.

Tomorrow we have Ngutlik for PNG and possible signing Bateman for England. Then the big NZ/Fiji quarter final with new signings Papalli and Korisau both starting.

Slaughter after slaughter making it the most unwatchable international sporting event in the world.

Desperately needs a mercy rule or a claim of right rule to spread the talent.

It’s a bit like the Aussie cricketers refusing to declare against Bangladesh that year, 700 runs in front. Bangladesh were 5 for 13 or something at some stage.

Made me ashamed, like the ball tampering and underarm bowling scandal.

Dad used to say it was the pyjama game and the underarm bowling suited it.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Api played 5/8 and was fantastic for Fiji in their near miss against NZ, the bloke just ozzes class. Will be good for him to come home and have a much needed break before joining us in the new year.

Papalli started from the bench, only played 45 mins but was an absolute machine making 141ms from 23 hit ups and 4 tackle breaks. Thanks Madge, keep him at those minutes please!

gordsy

Juniors
The world cup would be ok if they had conferences. Don't put Scotland in the same group as the Aussies. What a joke thinking anyone wins in that scenario. Put Scotland against Lebanon or Jamaica and then it becomes Interesting and people may turn up. International footy is run just like the nrl, every person looking out for themselves and no one gives a shit about the overall game Itself.

Last edited: