What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

World's best player? You can count on it

nqboy

First Grade
http://www.smh.com.au/news/league/the-worlds-best-player/2005/11/22/1132421639849.html

Sydney Roosters fullback Anthony Minichiello was voted the best player in the world on Monday night, capturing the prestigious Golden Boot award ahead of Saturday's Tri-Nations final with New Zealand.

In a big night for Australian rugby league, Wayne Bennett was named International Coach of the Year and Tim Mander International Referee of the Year.

Two years after replacing one of the game's all-time great fullbacks in former Golden Boot winner Darren Lockyer, "The Count" has established himself one of the game's most exciting players.

Fittingly, Minichiello was presented with the coveted award by former rugby league legend Arthur Beetson, the man who discovered him on a video in 1996 and recommended the Roosters sign him.

The gongs were presented at a black tie dinner at the Elland Road Stadium where Australia will defend their Tri-Nations crown on Saturday night (Sunday morning AEDT).

Minichiello edged out Great Britain prop Stuart Fielden, who was named International Forward of the Year ahead of New Zealand's Ruben Wiki who will become rugby league's most capped player of all time at the weekend.

The awards were organised by Rugby League World Magazine and voted on by rugby league writers, former players and coaches from around the world.

Minichiello is the first fullback since Balmain's Garry Jack in 1987 to carry off the biggest individual prize in world rugby league.

"It's a great honour looking at the list of winners," said the 25-year-old.

"It was weird hearing my name read out. You read those names and they're all legends of the game."

Minichiello arrived on the scene with the Roosters in 1999 after touring Britain with the Junior Kangaroos.

He switched to fullback in 2003 and took over Lockyer's No. 1 jumper when Bennett moved the Broncos skipper to five-eighth.

He played his first match at fullback in the Rooster's World Club Challenge win over St Helens at the start of the 2003 and has not played a bad game in 17 appearances in the green and gold.

Minichiello is the 10th Australian to win the Golden Boot since Wally Lewis won the inaugural award in 1985.

The award was not presented between 1991-98 and the only players outside Australia to have won have been New Zealand's Hugh McGahan, who shared the honour with Peter Sterling in 1988, Great Britain captain Ellery Hanley in 1989, current Kiwi Test halfback Stacey Jones in 2002 and Englishman Andy Farrell who won last year.

greeneyed

First Grade
The "Golden Boot" has again proven to be a sham, after last year's stupid result with Andy Farrell. Minichello.... best player in the world???????? This has to be the biggest joke of the season.

nqboy

First Grade
I guess it shows that English journos don't watch much NRL and tend to base their votes on rep games.

Azkatro

First Grade
Is it based solely on Internationals though? I get the feeling it might be. Some of our comments over the past couple of years would look pretty stupid if that was the case.

Stranger

Coach
Its based on the best player over the year, not the best player in the world, and IMO i agree with the selection.

choc_soldier

Coach
I thought that it was based on international matches only. That could explain it - definitely not the best player in the NRL, but he had a solid Origin campaign.

KevinArnold

Juniors
Anthony Minichiello = Best Player in the World?

:lol: .....:|

To me, the best player in the world is a match winner, makes his team mates better and is part of a winning side. Something Anthony Minichiello wasn't this year.

Eddie.

Bench
And coach of the year was Wayne Bennett

Well Done Wayne, well deserved

:roll:

Can someone explain to me how these awards work??

Was Bennett competing against that Pommy git from Bradford, and some coach from the Cook Islands, or was his award based on the whole season including NRL.

???

hrundi99

First Grade
Minichello is a great attacking fullback and support player. He's good under the high ball. His defensive work is only good, not great.

I'm not sure he's the "complete" player for his position that you would think this type of award would warrant.

To me, the best player in the world is a match winner, makes his team mates better and is part of a winning side. Something Anthony Minichiello wasn't this year.

i fully agree too bad other idiots dont if Minnichello is that good roosters would of made the finals and won the comp cause he has enough good players around him too do it and dont go blamming it on Finch cause roosters still have way more origin players than tigers

Mr Saab

Referee
Eddie. said:
And coach of the year was Wayne Bennett

Well Done Wayne, well deserved

:roll:

Can someone explain to me how these awards work??

Was Bennett competing against that Pommy git from Bradford, and some coach from the Cook Islands, or was his award based on the whole season including NRL.

???

it is based on the international scene only. the NRL has its own awards liek the Dally Ms and the RLPA awards.
These awards have nothing to do with club form.

ozzie

Bench
joel caine number 1 fan said:
i fully agree too bad other idiots dont if Minnichello is that good roosters would of made the finals and won the comp cause he has enough good players around him too do it and dont go blamming it on Finch cause roosters still have way more origin players than tigers

Fools of the week award goes to these two clown - one player doesn't make a team - but then again maybe they do - and who do you think won West's grand final?? Name the player -?? I thought it was a team effort

innsaneink

Referee
Votes decided by a panel of nearly 100 international journos and broadcasters, among others, but without the agendas and with much more cred than those that vote for the Dally M's.

The Devil

Bench
nqboy said:
In a big night for Australian rugby league, Wayne Bennett was named International Coach of the Year

I honestly don't believe that Bennett deserves this. I reckon Brian McClennan should have gotten the gong for this award. What he's done to the Kiwi side is comparable to what Guus Hiddink has done for the Footballroos.

He's taken a team with talent who are underperforming and helped them play to their potential.

Raider_69

Post Whore
DeviL9 said:
I honestly don't believe that Bennett deserves this. I reckon Brian McClennan should have gotten the gong for this award. What he's done to the Kiwi side is comparable to what Guus Hiddink has done for the Footballroos.

He's taken a team with talent who are underperforming and helped them play to their potential.

last time i checked Hiddick was coaching the Socceroo's, who in the f**k are the footballroo's?
but on the whole, i agree, McClennan should have got it

Raider_69

Post Whore
DeviL9 said:
Well we don't call it soccer no more.. do we?

Umm the majority of australian public, including the players themselves do... not to mention the word "Socceroo" is plastered all over most of the merchandise... so i ask again, who the f**k are the "Footballroos"?

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
The award is based on international games and Minichiello pretty obviously deserved it. If it had been a straight out player of the year award for all games he still would have deserved it......