What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Worst halves in Kiwi/Kangaroo history?

Alan Shore

First Grade
JJ said:
Leuleuai is the only choice - and half is his favourite position. He's a very promising player, but not yet up to test standard. shame Robbie Paul couldn't play.

Vagana is a joke at standoff - but we just don't have anyone, full-stop - even if Hohaia was fit.

The Aussie selections are strange:

The fact that no player actually playing 5/8 for their club is in the squad still puzzles me - but I have no issue with Wing playing there - he always had.

Frenzy is an idiot!!! The choice of Kimmorley over Gower at half is indefencible!!!
He said something like BK 9 tests 9 wins, Gower 0 tests 0 wins.

First - Gower has played tests, but he hasn't played for Cronulla, so Frenzy might not be aware of it.

Second - I'm not sure of BK's record - but given your stupid mistake on Gower's, I suggest you double check.

Third, Frenzy, can you go over the last 20 years of so and find me an Australian player who's played 3 or more tests and has a losing record - I reckon that'd be a struggle

Fourth, if you're suggesting that Kimmorley's presence was the decisive factor in those 9 wins, I suggest you take your medication and go back to your happy place. There's been some pretty good players in those teams :)

He was responsible for both the ANZAC Test victory in 2000 and last minute clinching of the '99 Tri Series.

yappy

Bench
It was obvious that the Noddy/Wing combo was gonna be selected since Timmins pulled out, and I actually agree it is probably our best (but Gower/Presto must be close - it just was never ever ever gonna be chosen), but in saying that I'm struggling to think of a worse (or should I say less great) halves combination for the Kangaroos. So I guess I agree with the topics question, but it isn't like Kimmorley and Wing are anything like a bad halves combination. Most clubs in the NRL would kill to have them running the show every week.

NZ? Well they're struggling big time.

JJ

Immortal
He was responsible for both the ANZAC Test victory in 2000 and last minute clinching of the '99 Tri Series.

That's BS - the team is responsible for the wins - people get to carried away with pretty-boy halfbacks doing their jobs!!!!!!!! It's his job to be the playmaker - just like it's Shane Webcke's job to go forward.

Anonymous

Juniors
It was obvious that the Noddy/Wing combo was gonna be selected since Timmins pulled out, and I actually agree it is probably our best (but Gower/Presto must be close - it just was never ever ever gonna be chosen), but in saying that I'm struggling to think of a worse (or should I say less great) halves combination for the Kangaroos. So I guess I agree with the topics question, but it isn't like Kimmorley and Wing are anything like a bad halves combination. Most clubs in the NRL would kill to have them running the show every week.

Hey I agree, that was my point. I wasn't saying that they were bad players, or bad selections (although IMO they were, but that's not really the point).

I think Kimmorley and Wing are great players but as far as a Kangaroo halves combo goes they are certainly below average, for starters the first choice players in both positions are out injured, then you have the Kimmorley Vs Gower/ Wing Vs Gower/Vs Orford Vs Campbell Vs everyone else debate. They are certainly not a unanimously approved of selection.

Combined with an incredibly dodgy NZ pair and I find it hard to argue with my own topic :D

Maroubra Eel

Coach
Gower plays behind a pack of big go forward men. Kimmorley plays behind a pack of Sharks pansies.
What chance does he have with the Sharks. He is a brilliant halfback. Gower would struggle behind the fairy pack of Sharks.

Special K

Coach
Maroubra Eel said:
Gower plays behind a pack of big go forward men. Kimmorley plays behind a pack of Sharks pansies.
What chance does he have with the Sharks. He is a brilliant halfback. Gower would struggle behind the fairy pack of Sharks.
..Your calling Hilder, Nutley, Beattie, Gallen etc soft?

Watch for Dale Newton. He will prove himself as one of the best next year in the front row. You might remember him as the head hunter :lol:

Anonymous

Juniors
Hulkamanic 36 said:
Maroubra Eel said:
..Your calling Hilder, Nutley, Beattie, Gallen etc soft?

No, he is calling them pansies.

Te Kaha

First Grade
Thierry Henry said:
To be honest I can't imagine a crappier quartet of halves being possible.

Vagana- Not a stand-off
Leuluai- Barely 18 and a mediocre player at best
Wing- Played all year at hooker
Kimmorley- Very dubious selection

Is this the worst foursome of halves in Kiwi Vs Kangaroo history?

Thierry Henry said:
....Exactly, he's only 18. That doesn't change the fact that he's not good enough yet, if anything it underlines it and gives him a very good excuse.

Thierry Henry said:
.....Combined with an incredibly dodgy NZ pair and I find it hard to argue with my own topic

I think someone here owes young mr Leuluai and Vagana an apology.

Anonymous

Juniors
No, not at all. If you can tell me when NZ and Australia have named sides with 4 less recognised halves (without being a wisearse after the event) then I might consider it.

Anonymous

Juniors
This thread wasn't even an opinion of my own. It was a factual observation that I find almost impossible to argue with.

Te Kaha

First Grade
91 Test in Melbourne

Clayton Friend was playing in Auckland
Gary Freeman was playing reserve grade for Balmain.

Where as both Kiwi halves this time have been playing First Grade all year and half of the year.

Te Kaha said:
91 Test in Melbourne

Where as both Kiwi halves this time have been playing First Grade all year and half of the year.

Didn't Tony Kemp play 5/8 that day?(I know he went off though) I think you mean the 3rd test in Brisbane.

Te Kaha

First Grade
DaleyIsGod said:
Te Kaha said:
91 Test in Melbourne

Didn't Tony Kemp play 5/8 that day?(I know he went off though) I think you mean the 3rd test in Brisbane.

I'm getting old the memory is a bit fuzzy. But yes it probably was the 3rd test. Add to that any time that Olsen F was pulled out of reserve grade to play a test match just shows that the Kiwis have selected, on paper at least "worse" halves pairings.

The Kiwis also pulled Vainikolo out of reserve grade for the 99 Anzac test, and he had a pretty good game. And then of course there's Talau in the halves too. Freeman should never of been in reserve grade though. That was ridiculous. He won the Daly M the next year.

JJ

Immortal
All I can say is that our halves (the Kiwis) went pretty well.

Kimmorley was ordinary - poor kicking game, poor defence, poor handling. Wing tried hard, but clearly is more able to have an impact at hooker. I still think he is best for the job though, given the awful squad selected, but with Gower at half.

Maybe Anderson will try Phil Bailey at stand-off??

The Colonel

Immortal
With a decent halfback and a fit Lockyer you could run Webcke at 5/8 and still beat the Poms.

However we have Kimmorley at halfback and a team made up of a fullback, four wingers, two hookers, seven running forwards, a bloke whos biggest claim to fame is his haircut and a bench player who seemed to be pulled off when he was playing better than Kimmorley and actually making an impact.

Big changes are needed before we meet the Poms....

panthersballboy

Juniors
I know I'm biast, but after that performance Gower needs a run at starting half. I also thought the young half for the kiwis was one of there best along with Vagana.

Evilgrowler

First Grade
Earl said:
Who won HALFBACK of the year in 2003? Craig Gower

Who was PLAYER of the year in 2003? Craig Gower

Its like putting 2 and 2 together. Obviously Anderson has come up with 5.

Anderson and Frenzy. ;-)