What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Worst injury you've ever had?

Curtis89

Juniors
What is the worst injury you've ever had. I've been blessed thankfully, the worst I've ever had is a sprained ankle. And yes, I do play a couple of contact sports on a regular basis. Must be all the milk I drank as a kid, no broken bones here!

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
13 years ago I did an ACL in my right knee and ruptured some ligaments in my right ankle in an ugly tackle playing RL.

3 years ago I broke my right ankle and apparently had a hairline crack in the tendon in my ankle.

Was laid up for a few months while the shithouse doctors struggled to find the problem, meaning it went untreated for a long time.

Was f**king agony, what little metabolism I had died and I haven't been able to find it since. Put on 30kgs while in traction, since getting back moving and being able to walk with vigour and without feeling any pain (which took about 4 months) I've lost about 3 kgs (in around 2.5 years)

My diet is shit and I now have a desk job, so I'm now physically static.

Gonna try and do some cardio at least once a week this year and cut out the shit foods and hope that I can shed a few kgs at least.

Is there anything I can do to help boost my metabolism though, It's never been fast or strong, but at present it's stagnant.

gUt

Coach
Broke my little toe, broke my front tooth, a few nice scars and that's about it.

The Eagle

Juniors
Have the elbow of a 80 year old with scar tissue and can't get full extension due to both a cricket ball and not wanting to feel that pain again

Apey

Staff member
I had most of my worst injuries as very young kid. My parents have told me they got a few looks on occasions as the questions of child abuse came up. :lol:

- Knocked over a cup of tea (I was a climber) and suffered serious burns on my chest and stomach, the burn marks were there for years
- Ran and slid into table made of rock, knocking a tooth through my cheek
- My personal favourite and the only one I actually remember. I was jumping off the top of my brother's bunk bed, over the railing side, onto the floor below. Cleared the railing the first two times, the third time my foot got caught and I faceplanted... hard. Knocked my two front teeth out to the point where they were pointing outwards above the horiztonal.

Since those I've only had a broken elbow I think. Can't retract my elbow the full way any more. Couldn't use a golf club afterwards for a while either, not sure if that's still the case.

Last edited:

age.s

First Grade
Did the ACL in my left knee playing soccer (I was the one making the shithouse tackle though) about 6 years ago. Absolute merkin of an injury, but the worst part was it was misdiagnosed several times as a MCL injury. I was told I needed rest and physio but that the ligament would heal with time, which as most will know is something that definitely won't happen to the ACL.

Knee felt better the next year. I could run, kick and jump etc. Three games later I had the same problem. Again it was misdiagnosed as a MCL. I injured it four times before someone diagnosed it correctly and recommended surgery, which I ended up having early 2013.

I'm similar to Madunit on the metabolism front. I haven't gained quite that much weight, but since the surgery my metabolism has slumped as have my energy levels. I'm assuming getting back into regular exercise is the only way, but it's tough given I'm still somewhat ginger on a knee that hasn't really been right for half a decade.

Regarding ACL injuries, is there any warning signs that it's about to go, or does it just rupture with the right criterion?

age.s

First Grade
Regarding ACL injuries, is there any warning signs that it's about to go, or does it just rupture with the right criterion?

I certainly didn't have any. Worst injury I had before that was a bruised toe.

Mine went in a dog of a tackle though. I went into a tackle with my left leg on a player coming from my left (yes, very stupid). We hit the ball at the same time, with my lower leg holding firm and my body/upper leg going the opposite direction with the knee acting as a pivot. Was f**king agony.

Last edited:

Danish

Referee
I've got 3 good ones.

Sports one:
I got absolutely belted playing U18s league by a couple big islander boys when taking a bomb. I went off concussed but after a few more injuries I had to go back on in the 2nd half. Scarily my memory of that 2nd half was that we were playing in pouring rain but my mum told me afterwards it was sunny the whole day. I ended up pissing bloody that night and scans the next day showed a bruised kidney. Was out for 10 weeks and didn't play again after that season.

Dumbass one:
5 years back at the age of 24 I decided that I wanted a ripstick for Xmas. For those that aren't either kids or idiots a ripstick looks like this -

RIPSTICK%20ORIGINAL.red.jpg

I promptly took it out Xmas morning and after about an hour of stuffing about on the local basketball courts I decided to take it down a big hill before we went to the relos for Xmas lunch. Smash cut to me lying on the side of the road clutching at my shoulder after coming off badly. Quick trip to the emergency room for an x ray and it was revealed my collarbone was in a bit of a bad way:

1731_64958183184_9937_n.jpg

The doctor who did my initial examination came and found me after my x ray to shake my hand on the worst collarbone break she'd seen. 2 weeks later when I went to a surgeon to get a follow up visit and to decide if it needed a plate or not he laughed when looking at my x ray and said it had been emailed around to various doctors in the hospital over the holidays :lol:. He assumed it was a motorbike accident so clearly I was hauling ass 8)

No I never road the ripstick again...

Little kid one:
When I was 6 my older brother and his mate used to like teasing and torturing me (standard dickhead older brother fare). They chased me into our shared bedroom and I climbed up onto the top bunk. When they tried to come up after me I jumped off the bunk and ran out the door. We did another lap and they chased me back into the bedroom, but this time they'd moved a chest of drawers to under the bunk bed to stop me jumping off. I figured I could make it and jumped for the door. I cleared the drawers, but landed funny and kneed myself in the chin. Wouldn't have been so bad except I had my tongue out at the time, which I bit in half! Only thing that saved it from being completely severed was that I'd lost a couple teeth so the left side was still attached.

My tongue was flopping about like a fish out of water and blood pouring everywhere. I obviously couldn't see it so didn't know what was wrong but my brother and his mate went white and ran to get help. I was taken to hospital and got dozens of invisible stitches to sew it back together. Couldn't talk at all for weeks and had to gargle a special solution for a while as well to make sure it healed up ok. Apparently I talked a bit funny for a while but after a few months was back to normal.

I have a nice scar on my tongue from that still. Always a funny story to bring up at family dinners.

Joker's Wild

Coach
I dislocated my elbow playing footy when I was 15. Got tackled hard by 2 forwards and felt my elbow crack but still got up and played the ball and tried to carry on. I couldnt move my left arm and looked down to see it hanging about 10 cm lower than my right.

It took the docs about an hour to reduce the joint and as it turned out I had also smashed the end of my radius bone good and proper too, which means that now that it has healed, the head of the bone is too large to fit into the socket properly and I can no longer straighten my arm fully.

Last edited:

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm of the opinion that I may have had a niggling knee injury prior to doing my ACL which may have weakened it, but I had a 100+kg forward fall on outstretched leg and making it bend in a manner which it wasn't designed to. My mate who saw it happen, thought I broke my leg. After what I went through, I wonder if breaking my leg would've been better and less painful than doing an ACL.

Jordan

Juniors
Broke my collarbone once.. not as bad as Danish's but was still a b*tch. My left shoulder is now slightly higher than my right shoulder now.. it's not really that noticeable but annoys me none the less.

Also broke my hand once gokarting.

And I also chipped a bone and tore the ligament in my thumb once playing rugby as well. That was probably the most annoying of them all as it was on my master hand and I couldn't do as much as turn on a tap for about six months afterward. Learnt to write and do..other stuff with my other hand also lol

Pete Cash

Post Whore
I have broken the bones in my forearm a few times. All from being a clumsy oaf. Once when I was very little (the worst of it) and the other two just wrestling with friends or chasing friends about and tripping over.

I tore my MCL falling down some stairs at the beginning of last year.

Various head knocks. Got concussed a few times as a kid once by running into a parked tractor. My parents have this low hanging arc in the hallway of their house and when I was 18 (I am 6'4 and my head touches it when I walk under it normally) I was running around carrying on like a goose I jumped while under the arc for some weird reason and absolutely belted my head. That hurt worse than the MCL which didn't really start hurting really bad until 5 or 6 hours later when it started to swell up.

I am very clumsy.

bileduct

Coach
Worst injuries for me would be:

1) Knife through the hand, nearly severing a finger, requiring 42 stitches in total to fix up.

2) Not really all that serious, but I had a 7cm gastrocnemius tear which is probably the most painful thing I have ever experienced in my life. I thought I had been blasted with a shotgun.

firechild

First Grade
Fell playing hockey and landed on my arm (the same hand that was holding the stick so there was some level of muscle tension). I didn't realise anything was wrong at first and a teammate came over to ask if I was ok. Looked down and saw that my wrist had dislocated and my hand was folded onto my forearm. My radius had completely snapped and my arm was twisted and bent at such an awkward angle it could not be splinted. Surprisingly the ulna was only fractured due to twisting.

Latest posts