What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Worst players to play Origin

King hit

Coach
I’m watching game 2 1982. Tony Melrose played his only Origin game and he would have to be up there. Was beaten all ends up by Ribot all night long and looked totally out of place.

Brett White and Steve Turner spring to mind

B White? No, he was orite. D Walker was okay too, not their fault there were some dodgy performances around them. But as we know that QLD side was quite useful. The 2013 WC Final performance is the best I've ever seen, and I reckon ever likely to see.

Howwy

Juniors
I’m watching game 2 1982. Tony Melrose played his only Origin game and he would have to be up there. Was beaten all ends up by Ribot all night long and looked totally out of place.

Yes, he also suffered the indignity of being switched to the opposite wing midway through the 2nd half.

King hit

Coach
Rex Wright’s stats from his 1 game

Blues top tackler and runner with 35 tackles and 17 runs for 87 meters gained

Pedge1971

First Grade
Prob. Rex Wright, NSW hooker for Game 1 '84. Straight in from NSW Country I think.

After getting skunked 29-12 by QLD, I recall Vautin claiming he heard Wright's teammates bagging him out on the field.

Thats who I originally said!?!?!?

Mr Spock!

Referee

Melrose wasn't a winger.

He was a 5/8th/inside centre

Slammin_Saint89

Juniors
Nathan Merritt had a terrible origin but you are right he could play. Fullback was his best position though, he was pushed to wing because Greg Inglis got moved to fullback. I remember when Inglis was injured and Merritt got to play fullback and he calved up the Tigers.

Inglis pretty much begged NSW to pick Merritt as he knew he would run over him all game.

kbw

Bench
Wade Graham cost NSW the series in 2017

Ithink Nathan Merritt was probably one of the worst to ever play for NSW.
He was a winger and nothing more, like Blacklock he could be great when the team was winning easily but went missing in the tough games.

Smack

Coach
Hodgson based off that one tackle that will live in infamy. He embarrassed him self and NSW