What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Worst signing for 2013.

Charlie124

First Grade
A post in the "Josh Papalii to parra" thread (regarding Joel Edwards signing with the raiders) got me thinking about who the worst signing for 2013 might be. I'm not necessarily talking about who the "worst player" signed in the offseason is, Although I'm not excluding those opinions. I mean those signings that make no sense, like signing a particular player when you already have plenty of better players in that position. Or signing an old bloke who's going to keep a promising young prospect out of first grade. There are several other reasons a certain signing might leave you scratching your head.

So who do you think is the worst signing and why?

My vote is split between Scott Prince and SBW. Prince might be better than any of the halves the broncos have right now, but surely they would be best served blooding/grooming a long term prospect or throwing money at a younger star in the making. To me, prince is a bandaid signing made without the future in mind.

Then there's SBW, who will put bums on seats for a while provided he's not injured, but even if he gets through the season ok he's a big money signing who's more interested in his boxing "career" or whoring himself to rugby for more money than the roosters.

Thoughts?

natheel

Coach
In terms of signings that make no sense

Tony Williams to Bulldogs - not only is he a pea heart but what do the dogs need him for? They have some great talent coming through in the forwards

He will just block a promising playing coming through. Jake Foster will be a good pick up for Canberra.

I can see dogs losing some forwards thanks to tony Williams' high price tag too

Same can be said for SBW and roosters (already lost some promising talent)

dogslife

Coach
If Williams plays like he did last year you're right, if he plays like he did for Des, you're way off the mark. Jake Foster has tits for hands anyway, he is no great loss for the Dogs

Big Pete

Referee
Scott Prince came to Brisbane on a reduced rate and if nothing else provides Brisbane with an alternative and mentor for the young players coming through.

A player like Norman would be better off serving his time in QCup and developing his game.

My picks...

Dave Taylor - Did the Titans need a big loaf of a lad out on the right fringe? He might be one of the more talented players in the competition but if anything the guy needed a club that disciplined him and I don't think the Titans are a good fit based on previous seasons. It's not like he's needed either with an all representative backrow already there.

Braith Anasta - Why?

Chris Heighington - Don't think the Sharks really needed him given all their other backrows.

ceagle

Bench
If Williams plays like he did last year you're right, if he plays like he did for Des, you're way off the mark. Jake Foster has tits for hands anyway, he is no great loss for the Dogs
T-Rex played inconsistently under Des as well

natheel

Coach

Des never got consistency from Williams though

Unfortunately dogs have 3 players there who on their game can cause havoc but are very inconsistent

Inu
Williams
Perrett

Dogs would have been better off signing a Cherrington type player on the cheap to replace what stagg did and invested in a decent halfback to partner Reynolds (but they're obviously putting all their eggs in the JT basket)

With foster if he was persisted with under des he could've improved. I think he will do well in canberra

dogslife

Coach
I thought he had a pretty good 2011 once Manly realised he wasn't a winger's arsehole. Inu and Perrett were consistently good for us last year, surprisingly

Jack_Napier

Staff member
Des never got consistency from Williams though

Unfortunately dogs have 3 players there who on their game can cause havoc but are very inconsistent

Inu
Williams
Perrett

Dogs would have been better off signing a Cherrington type player on the cheap to replace what stagg did and invested in a decent halfback to partner Reynolds (but they're obviously putting all their eggs in the JT basket)

With foster if he was persisted with under des he could've improved. I think he will do well in canberra

Lol cherrigton as a replacement for Stagg. Not even close to being similar players. Goes hand in hand with the call Easts have already lost promising talent for SBW. We've lost who we wanted to lose.

dogslife

Coach
The only thing consistent about Cherrington is his form with injury. The bloke hasn't first grade since 2009

Jack_Napier

Staff member
Yep, and the fact Stagg is a work horse and Cherro is supposedly a ball playing edge forward. At least I think he is lol

Charlie124

First Grade
Cows didn't sign too many players this offseason however the signing of Rory Kostjasyn makes no sense to me at all. Sure, we lost Payne to retirement and Seggy to the panthers but we still had Ray Thompson, Anthony Mitchell and we must have already been in talks with Scott Moores people about signing him too. Kostjasyn isn't exactly a big name gun who's gonna be in the frame for a starting spot, and we already have depth in that position, so what's the point?

Jack_Napier

Staff member
More worried about LOD than Maloney for us. LOD has Chris Beattie Signing written over if it doesn't work out.